1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What my conservative sister said about LGBT folks just stunned me!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jjc76, Jul 11, 2016.

1. jjc76

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, my entire family is ultra conservative and has been vocally against homosexuals for a long time. They quieted down somewhat when I came out several years ago. They want to be supportive and understanding, kind of, but most times they end up really hurting me.

Anyways, I was talking with my younger sister this past weekend. We were having an unusually open and frank discussion about several things. At one point I bluntly asked her how she felt about me being gay. After talking for a while about how she understands that it's not something I can change and control, and that she has several gay friends that she respects a lot, she said something that really shocked me. She said that the only thing that she really doesn't like about homosexuals is that so many are attacking the family and specifically traditional marriage. When I pushed for further clarification, she said that there is a gay agenda to replace traditional (straight) marriage with gay marriage. Essentially, that we are telling everyone that they must be gay too! I was stunned. I had never heard of any such movement and couldn't fathom that anyone would actually be demanding that.

My sister is very active in a religious community in her town, and I think she is getting this information from her church. If that is the case, WTF! I am not politically active, and I don't know a whole ton of LGBT folks, as I'm in a small town. But, for me personally, I believe strongly in my right to be gay. But on the flip side of the token, I believe that others have the right to be heterosexual if they want. I would think it would be counterproductive for our cause to demand that everyone be gay too.

Please enlighten me. What could she be referring to? Is there really such a movement going on, that I'm not aware of? If not, then it sounds like many conservative/religious communities are just making this up out of fear, and because they just don't understand what it's like to be gay. God, this just blows my mind.

2. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't listen to them. They're just being bigoted assholes.

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You really can't fix stupid I guess! Makes no logical sense. There will always be more heterosexuals no matter what we do.

4. Goldangel455

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like this could've been a lie that the church told her. A lot of religious people think by giving us the rights to marry that we want to take away their rights. I have never heard of anybody trying to take away straight marriage.

5. IamCasey

That makes no sense. If gays did that it would eventually end the world population. What sense does that make?

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The latter part may be true, but lack of listening is what got us in this mess. I'd prefer people *do* listen to their outrageous claims and highlight exactly how wrong they are.

Effective communication may yet dissolve the needless tension between our two groups.

7. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    True. Maybe I should have said, "don't believe them" instead.

8. britishatheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well, that was certainly... blunt.

I'm not saying I don't agree, Peter, I just believe you could have elaborated more.

I for one have never heard of such a movement. While not "officially" Christian (I'm not Baptized, nor do I belong to a Church), I went to Catholic school for 10 years and hold my own personal beliefs that reflect a Christian lifestyle. And I have never believed in, nor have ever heard of anyone believing in, an "uprising" such as the one you described where homosexuals attempt to overtake traditional marriage. As you said, I believe it would be extremely counterproductive, not only from a moral standpoint but also for our movement. Because if this were true, then what right would we have to oppose heterosexuals for attempting to make us conform if that's exactly what we're doing to them?

That being said, I believe this may be an attempt by the Church to try and shove the LGBT community into an antagonistic role so that it's easier for them to judge our lifestyle. However, the Christianity I believe in promotes loving everyone, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, or the like, because we're all the same inside. Love is love is love, right?

Which returns us to Peter's original comment. He's right. Don't listen to them. They're just being bigoted assholes.

9. Formality

Oh my god, my face hurts from facepalming too hard. I guess in religious communities reason isn't their strong suit, hence why they believe in "sky friend" to begin with. But this is just stupid.

#9 Formality, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  10. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the concurrence!

11. Psaurus918

I'm sorry, but your sister is nuts. However, it sounds like she's just brainwashed

12. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, overall your sister sounds pretty misguided and has been convinced that very false things are true when they really aren't.

13. Glowing Eyes

Oh boy, I love how some paranoid Evangelicals live in this make believe world where they're being oppressed by gays.
    I wouldn't bother arguing. My mind would probably break from the level of irony.

14. jjc76

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Exactly.

I'm so glad there isn't anything like this going on that we're aware of. Being gay pretty much means we understand how hard it is to live your life conforming to everyone else. We wouldn't wish it on anyone else, as much as it has hurt us.

I'm thinking also that this is just a scare tactic, like you said, from some to get everyone else riled up and angry. It's just very sad.

#14 jjc76, Jul 11, 2016
  15. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This sounds like a classical case of "I'll listen to whatever the preacher tells me". It's sad that there are some people out there that really believe these things though.

16. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People like to think the worst of others some times so that they have an excuse to dissociate from them. Straight people seem to think gay people are against them or something and we all divide ourselves needlessly. My sister is also pretty darn conservative and thinks gay marriage is an attack on traditional marriage. When she found out I was bi, she kept posting straight pride stuff on her Facebook. Ugh.

We grew up in California (so I have no idea how she became so conservative... not even dad is THAT right wing... Maybe because of her religion?) but now live in South Dakota. Super red state. I want to move to Colorado and she says I shouldn't because Marijuana is legal there... She implied my kids would be pot heads... *facepalm*

17. iiimee

I haven't heard that much crazy since I left that Orthodox Christian church I used to attend! XD Almost everyone was a foreigner and had super conservative hostile beliefs...

18. kobra kid

There is no such movement, luckily! It's mostly just rhetoric. The Church's view on gay marriage is aligned with that of extreme conservatives. Less extreme views believe that gay people should be able to marry whoever they want to. By claiming that their opponents' (liberals+moderates) viewpoint is extreme, it makes theirs seem more reasonable in comparison. How many people would actively speak out against gay rights if they thought it wasn't a big deal? Not many. By making people think it's something on par with the end of the world, the Church's agenda gets more leverage. It sucks that your sister can be persuaded by stuff like that, but there's probably not much point arguing it unless you want to come up with some rhetoric of your own to counter her church's.

19. AmyBee

It's the same old false dichotomy. If you say "I like A," people hear, "I HATE B." So if you're LGBTQIA, they equate that with hating straight people. It's also the same thing that's been done to feminism. Anti-feminists have been allowed to define it as, "Destroying men" to a lot of people in the mainstream. And finally, it's the thing where people think if you're visible or non-closeted then you're "rubbing it in [their] faces." Just by existing and wanting the exact same rights they have. But when we ask for them, they say we're asking for privileges and special treatment and entitlements, whereas they are ENTITLED to have what they have and never share.

So, in short, it's stupid.

20. CoderK

This is so dumb. I don't understand what this "gay agenda" (that bigots say we have) is. People assume that if you like one thing, you hate all others. For example, I am bi, so I like guys, but that doesn't mean I don't like girls. Another example is that I love sweet foods, so I like cake and pie. People need to learn that just because one group wants one thing, they don't have to dislike the other thing.

#20 CoderK, Jul 11, 2016