1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Made You First Realize You Were Gay(LGBT)?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Custard, Mar 3, 2012.

1. greeneyes

I don't remember the actual moment, but when I was 18 I started becoming friends with a girl who was a mutual friend of a guy I liked. We would talk about him, and then I realized I wanted to hang out with her a lot. It was like I always wanted to be close to her, to find any excuse to touch. Somehow (I don't remember how) I figured out I wanted more. I definitely didn't always know, but it did clarify a few things looking back.

2. DapperDan

DapperDan Guest

I definitely knew since I was very young, but growing up in a religious, conservative community made me question myself endlessly. I knew that girls always felt like friends, and guys... much more. I had all of the urges, but kept them very well hidden (and still do). I tried the whole "forcing myself to change" thing, and tried a few relationships with girls, but it felt like I was being so dishonest to them and myself, the guilt was crazy. It was only this past year or two that I've really started to move forward because I felt like I couldn't keep up the act much longer, and felt so far away from happiness.

3. Curly

The first confusion was when I felt like something was missing with my first boyfriend. Then, I first realized I was always trying really hard to avoid looking at the good looking girls on tv. Then "the L word" gave me that extra push. Once I thought about it all the other signs fit into place and I couldn't plead ignorance anymore.

4. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be honest, the first time I realized it was when I started dating my first bf. Kind of a sudden revelation there. :lol:

But once I realized it, it explained a whole host of weird feelings and urges I'd had throughout my life, including that one time, at band camp...

5. Bolin

Um, I guess I kinda always knew...but I guess it first hit me hit me when I had my first real crush in middle school. It lasted all throughout high school unfortunately, but that's another story...

6. musicgeek13

musicgeek13 Guest

I've been attracted to girls for as long as I can remember but my parents were always saying how being gay was a sin so of course, I would pretend to have crushes on guys I knew. The first time I started realizing I was gay, I was joking around with this guy at my school, kinda flirting and stuff and in the middle of our conversation, I realized I wasn't really paying attention to him, I kept being distracted by this girl who was near us. And then I looked back on my life and saw that I have always been distracted by attractive girls and tried to ignore it, which actually explained a whole lot of confusion from when i was younger

7. secretguyX

Well, in around April/May of 2010 I started liking this girl Mary. I didn't really realize it was an actually crush until June or so, I just thought I admired her and wanted to be better friends with her. But no, I was so wrong. Although I wouldn't of minded being better friend with her too :slight_smile: Since then, I've liked four other girls, meaning really liked them. One I actually had loved, but I'm over her now. I've always deep down knew I was gay, but I wanted to believe I was bisexual. But any feelings I've had for guys have been fading, and I don't even find most guys hot anymore. So now I know I'm gay.

8. DegrassiLover10

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've always known.

9. epsylon427

England yeah that cloud covered rock by Europe
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    it was always in the back of my mind but when i thought 'so your gay' was only back in January but it was bunch of different signs that lead up to it however im not really sure what triggered it
    confusing when you think about it

and LOL

10. Nero

probly beacuse the first errection i had i was looking at male models and i always like to be touchy feely with all my friends regardless of gender but with guys a little more so

11. CountryGirl94

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I went out with guys and started dating when I turned 14.
    I only did it because it was what people expected me to do.
    After the my first few boyfriends I realized I have no feeling for men whatsoever,
    and I'm also not sexually attracted to them.
    That's when I realized I fell for my straight best friend.
    I'm still trying to get over her. :/
    Don't get me wrong, I love guys! But just as friends.

12. amwm2wm3

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was little I was seriously into Barney. But it wasn't because of Barney, it was because I had a huge crush on the little girl with the teddy bear.
    But I think the fact that I was gay really hit me when I was 10 and going through puberty (I know, it was early). I couldn't stop thinking about girls. My family used to talk about "those people" and I just remember it hitting me late at night that I was, in fact, one of "those people."

13. gingerlugo

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I realized I liked girls in highschool. I had the biggest crush on one of the girls in my gym class, everytime she touched me or spoke to me I got goose bumps. And after that the girl crushes continued

14. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, before I realized what I was saying was "different," I talked about how attractive guys were with my sister and mom...So, honestly, it all just came naturally to me, liking guys.

My "realization" of it was a long, drawn-out process though.. The first point I can remember was when a friend of mine was getting teased for "acting gay," and I can recall that the first thoughts coming to me were "well that's silly, if anyone's gay it's me, not 'T'." And then obviously I was shocked at what I said and repressed it..

Then there was this time where, when our pep band was heading to the pep rally, a freshman I knew from being a student aide was trying to tease me by saying "'C', why don't you love me?" To which I responded, "No, I don't love you silly - I love 'A'" (one of my best friends). My stomach sank. I couldn't believe what I had just said..I knew I meant it ~ it came to me naturally - my first thought... So I realized I had a total crush on him and slowly began the process of coming out to myself and others..

Oh, and:
    I'm with you on that one, unfortunately... Yeah, that kinda helped me figure it out..lol

15. timo

Last year, when I first fell in love with another guy. Although looking back I could have realized it much much earlier.
    I've questioned my sexuality before, which probably started up to 5 yrs ago. For example when you see a guy and thinking "damn he looks good". But I always thought "i've never actually loved a guy so i can't be gay". Oh how wrong i was.

16. Caoimhe Fayre

when I was about 12 or 13, my first crush ever was on Willow (Alyson Hannigan) in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. but I knew that was different (I thought it was wrong, trying to change my thinking on that so I just changed "wrong" to "different"), I knew as a girl I was supposed to be in the Angel or the Xander camp. but I was squarely in the Willow camp.

17. BajanBoy13

Same thing with me!!

18. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is kind of unique, but it was when I turned away from my Christian faith. I finally felt free, and I was finally after many years able to find myself. Before that I didn't understand why everyone else was finding themselves, as it were, and I was still lost. I don't even really remember the beginning of finding this part of me, even though it wasn't long ago. I was just opening myself up to all possibilities I guess and liking girls was just there. And it was natural. And it didn't bother me. I think it's weird that I don't remember ever being attracted to girls before I was 16, but I figure that it's probably because it's more of a mature, romantic feeling I usually get with them. Though not completely.. so that confuses me a little, but it's okay.

For the record I didn't mean any of that to be offensive to anyone who is Christian. I know you can find yourself as a Christian and be happy, I'm all for that. This is just my personal story. <3

19. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I always knew, more specifically since I was old enough to start going to school. I'm one of those typical lesbians where I exhibit pretty much all the tell-tale signs. I was always friends with the guys, played wall-ball, tether ball, dodge ball, basketball, etc. while the girls were doing their thing. Always had little crushes on the girls in my class. I never wanted to be a princess or a witch or any of those typical girl halloween costume themes; I was a fireman, a doctor, a power ranger, and a ninja HAHA! I hated and still hate dresses. Always dressed in jeans, pants, basketball shorts, t-shirts, sweaters, hoodies and such. Never wore makeup or lipstick, never owned a purse, never bought jewelry or wore any. I was like this since I was like 5. I always wondered how nobody seems to have figured out that I'm gay. It's pretty dang obvious! Maybe people have speculated but never asked me. Either way, I've always known.

20. Level75

Hanging out with best friend (yeah, the same one I talk about a lot) at Six Flags during our senior class trip. He's an incredibly handsome guy with this "dude" kind of swagger to him. He goes on this water raft ride. He comes back without his shirt. I'm trying to avert my eyes nonchalantly when, in reality, I really want to keep looking.