1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What kind of style inspires you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ran, Jun 12, 2024.

1. Ran

Ran
    Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Basically the title. Anything fashion related can go here. I feel like it can be fun to discuss about it.

Also I'm nosy and want a peek into your wardrobe. You can just describe it.

I need ideas. Mine is very plain: hoodies, jeans, t-shirts and few dresses and skirts. I don't own many basic black and white pieces. There is not even anything gray there. I often feel that my wardrobe might be a bit too me in 6-9th grade in other words childish. I have some things from that time that still fit me. I also own nothing from big designer label clothes.

What do you think of people who wear dresses and skirts on everyday basis? I kinda have a bit of trauma there, because this is one of the things I was bullied for. Wearing only skirts to school.

I try not to label things being masculine or feminine. I like a lot of lace stuff, boho and also street fashion. I feel like I'm all over the place.

Also how much do you spend on clothes? It don't need to be exact number.

Everyone can answer regardless of identity.

2. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I also like bohemian stuff, I have a navy "kimono" with white flowers (not a traditional one) with white flowers. I usually wear it with a white t shirt, black or light wash jeans, and either white sneakers, gray combat boots, or brown leather combat boots. I love boots (and sneakers but wouldn't call myself a sneakerhead). Combat boots are probably my favorite, but chelsea boots are a close second. As for sneakers, I really like the leather Addidas ones- good arch support, easy clean up, and fashionable.

Jackets and floral patterns are kind of staples in my closet. Florals scream summer, and can look good if you pair them with the right stuff. I'm picky about the patterns though, if it doesn't grab me while walking past it I won't buy it. As for the jackets, I love them all. Track jackets, windbreakers, leather, quilted, bombers, denim, courdurouy (almost certain I misspelled that), suede, fringe, motorcycle, etc. I wish Carhartt jackets looked good on me, but they don't since I'm short. One thing I can't stand is a cropped jacket- nothing makes me angrier faster than picking up a nice jacket and the arms are too long but the torso is short.

I used to be big into flannels, but women's flannels suck- way too tight in the arms and fitted with a figure.

Ok I said enough lol, sorry

3. Ran

Ran
    Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    No don't be sorry. This is what this thread is about. I liked reading about it and the style what you described with the kimono sounds like an amazing look. I love kimonos.

Florals do look good. On shirts, trousers or any clothing item.

I bought a dress what is black and with pink flower pattern. I never have worn such style, but it suprizingly looked good on me. I have 3 dresses now. I went a bit overboard lol.

4. chicadeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    As you'd expect, my experience is very much a before and after thing...

When I still thought I was a bloke I'd wear patterned, often brightly coloured, long sleeved shirts, matched with (straight or skinny) jeans and either suit or corduroy jackets. I loved the era of men's fashion between 1965 and 1980, the only time in recent memory when they were allowed to wear bright, extravagant clothes.

Since I've come out, I've switched to a kind of mod girl look - pencil skirts, polka dot dresses, that sort of thing - matched by colourful silk scarves. Unfortunately, I'm blessed/cursed with bushy, curly hair so I can't go full 60s...

And when I'm in the closet it's dowdy hoodies n' baggy shirts all the way, just so I can disguise my boobs.

Beth x

#4 chicadeoro, Jun 12, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2024
  5. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have quite a few styles. However, I'm mostly drawn to bohemian meets goth. Roses paired with a gothic lace cardigan (to give a spiderweb effect) for example. I think that nature is beautiful but that it's also morbid and mysterious. There's definitely some grunge to it.

Then there's the 1960's style pencil skirts that work well for a smart casual look. My wardrobe is very much a spectrum!

6. Elli7

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like to wear jeans, blouses, skirts, dresses :slight_smile:

7. Saskia96

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Im not that fashionable, all my life i wore just band t-shirts and jeans. Im still trying to find out what to wear when it comes to feminine clothing, but id like to try out off-shoulder top. i will probably wear tanktops and bandshirts too, aswell as shorts and fishnets for a (hopefully) nice punk/goth/grunge look. One thing i definitely will continue from my "male" fashion are vans sneakers :slight_smile: but i will probably add some combat boots too.

I know this sounds very stereotype but i want to try those at least. I will probably try skirts and dresses too, but im not much into them.

#7 Saskia96, Jun 16, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2024
  8. Ran

Ran
    Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    What does bloke mean?

I had a phase, where I was into denim, but thought it wouldn't suit me. The combination denim on denim seemed so strange to me too. I think it came from the 80's. I remember it had a comeback, when I was a kid.

I also had a phase, where I was really into 90's clothing, because I'm a 90's kid. Was born in 1991. I was really proud of it lol.

I wore a lot of colorful and pastel stuff.

Much later I discovered Lolita fashion. I liked the classical and goth lolita looks. I wasn't too into the cute style back then.

My cousins were into punk styles and still are. I really wasn't into it as much as them. I appreciated the fashion, but that's it.

I still like Lolita, but very simple style and not overly decorated stuff.

9. Ran

Ran
    Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Same hete. :slight_smile:

10. Ran

Ran
    Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    This sounds like a very cool fit. I definetly agree with you about nature.

11. Ran

Ran
    Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I think people who wear band stuff and such are cool. It kinda shows maybe their intrests too and a cool shirt can be a statement piece.

My cousins wear combat boots and they look very cool. I do like the boots, but don't feel it would fit me.

Your style is unique to you. Honestly there really are no rules. I love, when people play with fashion and create cool looks.

12. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What style inspires me vs what I actually wear are two very different questions lol.

I love the people that dress kinda eccentricity, especially retro inspired things. I dont have the confidence to pull that off though.

I also like the "granola" style, which to a degree has made it into my wardrobe. Think plaid, birkenstocks, blundstones, and those athleisure pants that also look semi presentable in public lol.

I stick to things that are strictly solid colours. No logos, patterns, graphics etc etc. For the most part greys, blacks, blues, and other neutral colours. I have a couple plaid things and the rare pinks, greens and reds.

Shirts: A mix of tee shirts and short sleeve button downs mostly . I wear short sleeves most of the year, but do have some flannels, v necks and polos that sometimes I wear.

Pants/shorts: literally all grey, black and browns. Average or slightly tight fit. Jeans, athleisure, Chinos and....just pants lol.

Honestly, unless I think it's an extremely cool outfit, I dont really notice what people are wearing.

The last 10 or so years, I'd say I spend $0-$300 annually. Some years I don't buy anything. Somehow a lot of my highschool stuff has lasted. Now days, I try to buy quality things over quantity which also helps

13. chicadeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's a British colloquialism for man, guy etc

Beth x

14. Ran

Ran
    Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    True, but I take it as one big broad topic. Sometimes people also wear style what inspires them.

I think retro style is so cute. It don't personally fit me, but I do admire people who pull it off.

I recently have tried on styles that I never thought would fit me (kind of gothic style). It wasn't even in my mind, but it suited better than expected. It would be undiscovered, but I decided to be adventurous.

So kind of like outdoors-y style? I know birkenstocks and blundstones to be shoes and boots - footwear brand?

The athleisure pants remind me, that for the longest time I was feeling strange about wearing yoga pants and such in public. To me it was something you'd wear in school gym classes. We had to wear shorts inside, that was kind of the same stretchy material. I guess it felt like I was exposing my body too much. I don't know why.

I like to observe people and I like fashion, which is why I maybe pay more attention than other people.

In university dorm sometimes the silence got too much and then I just went outside to the caffe and had coffee and people watch or explore. It was more fun than being stuck in my dorm. I learn about how they do things and what they wear. I learn about how people interact with each other.

Same. A lot of my highschool stuff has lasted and I'm still wearing them. I problably spend less 0-100€. I rarely treat myself. I just buy things when there is something I can't wear anymore as it literally has holes you can't fix and it needs a replacement. But I've been wanting to explore more with fashion.

15. Ran

Ran
    Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Oh I see. Got it. Thank you for the explanation Beth. :slight_smile:

16. Sammy1995

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been veering hard into Goth fashion. Cute lacy black stuff mostly, I have some arm sleeves that I absolutely love! I follow some threads elsewhere where people post goth fashion and honestly a lot of it is pretty inspirational. My friend took me to get my ears pierced recently some I'm gonna go all out with crucifix and bat earrings, that entire vibe. Oh and I have big Goth platform boots that make me feel so tall.

17. Everstorm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm currently reliving my youth and bought myself a pair of Doc's to wear with skirts/dresses/skinnys.

My usual style is skirts or skinnys with a plain vest top and long cardigans. Nothing too "loud" .
    I have been trying to be a bit more feminine and wearing asymmetrical skirts during the summer