1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What kind of music did you grow up with?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Yazuki118, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Yazuki118

Rock? Beatles? Classical? What kind of sound were you surrounded by when growing up? Did you think it was hip? Did you think it was old people music? Tell me what you guys think!

2. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    grew up with a spanish version of the beatles (cover bands) bunch of em. grew up on a lot of latin music; salsa, merengue, cumbia, bachata, mexicano(tejana, don't know what to really call it this one); also grew up on Santana, r&b, hip hop, pop, broadway, classical

i always thought that bands and guitarist were cool, but when i looked at other ones, i just simply enjoyed it during it's moment i guess. i always thought latin, broadway and classical were old people music but i grew to like it a bit. i never looked at music as a hip thing because it sometimes represents what the generation is going through at times.
    i discovered rock myself and never turned back =P

3. AlamoCity

Country music is all my parents and relatives played.

For a while, I sort of hated it because I thought it was "old fashioned" and most of my classmates listened to rap, hip hop, pop, or rock.

Now, I love it. It's all I ever listen to.

4. Thedistra

Lots of ICP with a dash of Pink and Eminem sprinkled with random 80's that my mother listened to with a drizzle of country from my aunt.

Dad loved ICP and my aunt loved country, I was around them the most. I thought ICP and Eminem were cool since my dad listened to it. Wasn't a fan of my mother's music for the most part. Didn't mind the country.

5. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I grew up with some Latin stuff, 80s and 90s pop, Enya and classical music.

6. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

Started out with dad rock.

Seriously, I think I was jamming out to "Close to the Edge" by Yes in the womb. Their music strikes a weird primordial nostalgia chord that few other things do. A few Sade songs have similar nostalgia, though those are kind of awkward since I find "Smooth Operator" a much likelier candidate to be played during my conception than, say, "Heart of the Sunrise".

After that it was whatever was playing on the radio or whatever my brother or his friends were listening to...say Rage Against the Machine, System of a Down, Metallica, Tool, Jane's Addiction, Guns 'n' Roses, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, most of whom I'd be perfectly happy never hearing again (I can still dig some Jane's occasionally)...the big "classic rawk" bands (Led Zep and Pink Floyd were the keepers), the big grunge bands (I still enjoy Alice in Chains when in the mood)...then we started branching out and listening to a lot of other stuff and cross-pollinating each other's tastes from there.

The big constant through all of this was video game music. Zelda, Final Fantasy, Mega Man etc etc...I hear a lot of that influence in many of my own recordings.

7. JohnR772

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I grew up with a lot of '70's and '80's rock, mostly whatever my parents had on the radio. Now it's bands like the Beatles, Areosmith, Queen, and newer stuff like Imagine Dragons, Nico Vega, and ever Nickleback, I don't see why people hate them.

8. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Almost exclusively 70's-80's rock and pop. Sounds of Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani, etc., were just about constantly in my ears as a kid growing up. (My dad did some picking with garage bands back in those days.)

Now I listen to almost exclusively classical. Go figure. :slight_smile:

9. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Under my mom, classic rock. Under my dad, country.

I had odd phases of pop, hip-hop and rap when I was young as well, but I kind of drifted from it.

10. AAASAS

A shitload of everything, my mom is heavily into music, and literally most decent bands from each decade she is into with an exception of a few. She's also heavy into some pop, so unfortunately I am familiar with Madonna, and Mariah Carey but unlike what seems to be a ridiculous amount of gay guys, I'm not a fan.

I also grew up with a lot of Mo-town, the supremes, four tops....etc. Which I still don't mind to this day.

My mom also got me into reggae, I'm not the teenaged stoner that adopts reggae, I've literally loved it since I was a kid, and can say honestly I am a Bob Marley fan, and the majority of my favourites that I am familiar with aren't his greatest hits they're his older records. She also got me into Bunny Wailer and Toots and the Maytals.

Another weird thing is I consider some rap to be "lame" almost because my mom again likes it. I grew up with Biggie Smalls; love Biggie Smalls though, Wu-Tang Clan, ODB, Black Sheep, Tribe Called Quest, a bunch of rap that my mom likes. I basically stopped respecting her when she bought the first 50 cent C.D.

Also grew up with a lot of Canadian Rock and Country, like Gordon Lightfoot, Sloan, The Tragically Hip, Blue Rodeo...etc. They remind me of my childhood a lot, especially Blue Rodeo, because I used to hear that all the time.

All of that is most likely the reason my favourite music is really obscure, because I grew up with so many different types that "new" music to me as a kid was actually really new progressive music.

Most kids my age grew up with rap, new rock, and pop being their preferred choice because their parents weren't heavily into it, but mine was, so I sort of got turned off by alot at an early age.

Most of the music I listen to wouldn't be even close to what I grew up with.

11. apostrophied

Pretty much exclusively classical. Occasional jazz, too.

12. NattyBoo33

I grew up on Silent Hill music :confused:

13. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I listened primarily to whatever was on the classical music radio station, which also included some Celtic and folk music. My parents listened to a lot of Indian music (film, classical, and sometimes devotional), with a few songs from country stars (a result of living in Oklahoma).

I have a lot of nostalgia for the Indian music since they were often cassettes from old films.

14. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When young, I recall my mother playing a lot of Neil Diamond. (She was probably not alone among parents of my generation; I remember in elementary school PE the teacher saying "kneel, not Neil Diamond!" Or something like that.) My mother also liked Sergio Franchi, a name no one here has probably heard of. (Opera trained singer who turned to more popular fare. It seemed like his gimmick was taking English language songs, and singing parts in Italian.) She also had an interest in some ethnic music, including a record of flute shrieks from some odd corner of the world.

At first, I went along with the program. However, as I aged, my tastes etherealized, as Gilbert and Sullivan's Patience might put it. I was probably the only kid in my high school who A) had a record of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony and B) played it.

15. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Lot of Top 40 and country music. Wasn't my favorite, lol. I gravitated more towards classic rock (which my dad helped to get me into) and metal. Now I'll basically listen to anything except Top 40 and country, lol.

16. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like straight up hip hop and rap starting with Mc hammer then moving into Dr dre, snoop, the wu, dmx, ludacris Jay Z all the way to Drake and lil wayne and Dj mustard.

That's like 95% of my play list is rap.

Totally white girl music :dry:

17. Hiems

I grew up listening to mostly pop music, e.g. Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears, etc. Now I don't listen to pop as much.

Now I listen to pop rock, indie rock, alternative, and electronic. Artists include Kelly Clarkson, Imagine Dragons, Paramore, Marina and the Diamonds, Coldplay, Florence+the Machine, Zedd, Calvin Harris, and Avicii.

18. Emulator

Classical and 80's music. That's still what I listen to now; I got used to it. There's a sense of familiarity.
    Ironically, I never found out who wrote/sang most of those songs. I just heard them so much till they stuck.

19. Higs

Basically any 80s rock, some jazz and blues.. Queen and Michael Jackson got played the most.

20. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    LOADS of classical. And Christy Moore. Also Queen, David Bowie, Bob Dylan, Elton John and a lot of those kind of people.