1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What kind of job do you have?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by vhrebels, Jul 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

What do you do for a living? I usually cut a few people's yards a month. I like how I get to work whenever I want, as opposed to working at a legitimate job. It pays a lot more than my last job too. For the last three years, I've worked as an assistant swim coach during the summer for a local swim team, and I really enjoyed teaching little kids how to swim. The problem is, the administration for the swim association was ripping me and a few other people off by not giving us a full coaching job. Me and this other dude worked there for three years, and you are supposed to be given a head coaching position after 2 years, and they didn't offer us the position. And the thing was, there were people working there for 4+ years, and they didn't get moved up either. The problem with this is that the team was clearly understaffed, and they gave someone with no experience at all a full time job, and that person is absolutely terrible at coaching. So me and another dude left, and another friend of mine is setting me up with a better paying coaching position next summer, so I'll either do that, or try to get a job working at seabase. Seabase is a boy scout thing where people come from across the nation to go sailing and scuba diving in the Florida Keys, so if I can get that job, hopefully I'll be chilling at a beach all summer long, which would be way cooler than swim coaching. So anyways, what kind of job do you have?

2. justjade

Fast food. Still. For like the past 6 years. :dry:

3. Dani3l

Never worked. I'm in college. Sometimes I feel all I'm good for is studying :/

4. HeyAshley

i'm a server. i dig it 90% of the time.

5. AAASAS

Menial labour, since graduation of highschool, everyday, non-stop,9-5.

Stay in school kids.

6. Hudson

7. George

I'm a physics graduate student so my work is split between being a research assistant and a teaching assistant. My research involves producing software to analyze the data coming from the Large Hadron Collider. For teaching I have thus far done the first year Physics I labs. Overall I enjoy teaching, but having to grade a stack of 50 lab reports always makes for a sour weekend. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a student...at the end of this month, I'll officially be a college kid.

I used to work at Wal-Mart which still stands as the biggest mistake of my life, bigger than the one-night stand I with a guy before I got with my current boyfriend.

Wal-Mart is the best example of capitalism at its worst. They pay you damn near minimum wage and prevent anyone from getting their health insurance benefits-which suck to begin with. You get written up if you go over 40 hours in a week because then they'd have to give you benefits. Hardly anyone gets their health insurance though, as $75 a month is a lot when you're trying to live off $7.80 an hour. So they then encourage their employees to go and apply for Medicaid, SNAP (food stamps) and WIC. This is why I get so pissed off when I hear Republicans say that everybody on food stamps just refuses to work and are gaming the system. Most people on SNAP have a job and their income is low enough to qualify for food stamps.

There's two tactics they use to keep their prices low, and one of them everybody knows about, how everything is made in China. Basically what they do is say to all the suppliers who come to Wal-Mart begging that they carry their product that the supplier will have to sell it to WMT at a certain price, and it's their responsibility to get it there. The result: Manufacturing is outsourced to China.

Then they have to keep their labor and overhead down. Overhead is easy: conserve energy. Ever notice how the lights dim and brighten inside Wal-Mart? That's because the lights are solar powered, and whenever a cloud comes over, the lights dim.

Labor is a different story. They treat you like complete shit as an employee, as well as forcing you to work very hard for little pay. The point is to make you burn out and quit before you've been there for a year (because then you get a 40 cent raise) so that they can hire somebody at the bottom of the payscale. That's the Wal-Mart way and they do that to everyone, from the top down. Then, using the "No overtime or you'll get written up" policy, they force you to work for free. They made you clock in the second you got to the store and work until your shift ended. You had to take a longer unpaid lunch to burn off your overtime, so basically Wal-Mart has found a way to legally violate its policy against working off the clock

Then there's management. What a joke. Seniority will take you a long way at Wal-Mart, as all the managers at the store I worked at were complete incompetent buffoons. One of them had no interpersonal skills and did not know how to deal with people without being a complete jackass, another two were complete c***s who had no concept of customer service or respect for subordinates.

And finally, I fucking hate them even more because of their corporate propaganda ad campaign. Remember their old, blue WAL (star) MART logo? That has since been replaced with the little spark thing, and "Walmart" is all one word. Then they put in a slogan to try and scrub their image as a cold, callous company: "Save money, live better."

I hate Wal-Mart with a passion and I'll never shop there again after having had the misfortune of working there. F*** WALMART!!!

#8 AwesomGaytheist, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  9. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, right now, I'm doing nothing. But during the school year -- I am a student, a paid peer mentor, and a Student Assistant/Worker in a cafeteria in my dorm. Right now, I'm technically a peer mentor but all we've done thus far is training so I haven't done any mentor work yet. I tried to get a job at Walmart just for the summer but if I worked there, i would probably have the same mindset as the person above me but the person I'm "seeing" works there so...yea

10. lsl1995

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    i work at Publix. my bosses suck, my hours suck, the customers suck, but my co-workers are nice. :lol:

11. Kamina

Service industey!!!!
    At the moment I make pitas for people! :grin: I really enjoy my job seeing as I'm 17 and was looking for like 3 months before :lol: I hope you get into seabase that would be amazing!! My fingers are crossed for you; good Luck!

12. coreyl13

I work for the state at a phsychiactric hoslital. Its Crazzzy there. No pun inttended

13. Cascade

I go to the lake to catch fish in nets, do surgery on them to insert a tracking device, and track them with the boat.

It is literally the best job I could have realistically gotten this summer.

14. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I make burgers that come with the question: "would you like fries with that?"

I work at McDonald's.

I need the money to help pay for a college education.

15. KazTastic

I harvest organs and sell drugs.

But seriously, I work for the postal service part time while working on my Computer Science degree

16. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I work in a pharmacy. Which would be great except it's in a supermarket, and the management keeps cutting down our tech hours, so I'm lucky to get 20 hours a week, and I'm not making a liveable wage.

I supplement that with fast food. I make even less there. Between the two I still can't pay rent.

Lots of opportunities to complain about the wage gap though...

17. LinkLarkin

I'm a student by profession, but I do have a summer internship at my university :slight_smile: It's not wonderfully paid but I'm only obliged to do 5 hours per day so it's reasonably flexible, hence my writing this post at 10 to 9.

18. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.