1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is your type?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ArcherySet, Mar 29, 2012.

1. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

Straight men seem to suffer from the stigma that they have very narrow tastes. If you've ever spent any time around a group of straight guys, you will often hear, "Blondes, big boobs, no fat chicks", and gay men are no different. And if you pay attention, it almost seems they are worse. Many of my gay friends seem to have a mental check list of the guy they want and it usually includes very specific things, from penis size, to body fat percentage, level of body hair, race, and presence or absence of foreskin. Some guys I've met are even hair and eye color specific. The quote "He weeps for but he has a small tongue in which to taste the world." often comes to mind when I hear the gripes from my friends about how they can't find 'exactly what they're shopping for'

I am in no way attempting to use this to make myself appear superior in any way to my gay friends, (as I understand everyone has preferences) but I do wonder where this kind of narrowness comes from. I try not to judge, as I too have preferences, but even within my likes I'm always flexible, and I find some of my gay friends tastes (or lack of) very frustrating. If we look at the 'archetypes' that we find in gay media, honestly I have a taste for them all.

I love tanned, blonde, clean shaven surfer jocks. I love the muscled brutish Black thugs. I crave pale skinned, freckled ginger bad boys. I like older guys with thick growths of dark hair on their bodies, shaved heads and leather, and petite, meek boyish gents also get me going. Tattoos or not. Piercings or none, neither the presence or absence is a deal breaker for me, the way you show off your unique body canvas is sexy. Italian, Greek, Spanish, Mexican, Polish, German, Asian, it does not matter to me, and I've been very fortunate to have experiences with almost all of the above. A few 'types' have eluded me, but there is plenty of time to get around to them.

This paragraph can probably warrant a thread of its own, but I'll discuss it here as well. For many of my gay friends, there is a huge focus on the genitals. Huge. While I would have serious concerns about a guys level of honesty and personal ego if a guy revealed a significantly smaller endowment than he boasted, I would enjoy sex with an average or 'below' average guy no less if he had been honest with me. After all, if there is an attraction, he has about fifty other beautiful parts that my senses can delight in.

So where do your tastes lay? Do you swim freely in the vast sea of men, with its ever changing colors, textures, and tides, or do you stick in the shallow kiddy pool where everything is safe and there are no surprises?

#1 ArcherySet, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2012
  2. Rob999

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm not too fussed on penis size, except that I don't find them attractive when they get way too big :lol:.

My biggest 'type' is foreign. I am absolutely drawn to foreign people. I don't quite understand why, I guess they just seem exotic to me. I can get past (most) other physical factors, but I just seem to build an attraction to people from overseas really easily. That has included an English, Japanese, Arab, Chilean, and several Indian guys, so I don't think it's necessarily a race thing.

I guess I have my preferences, but I'd never rule someone out based on outside appearances (I hope!).

I think it's impossible not to be a bit superficial regarding attraction, but maybe not for some people.

3. sanguine

i blame the media, especially when it comes to beauty, you dont see a black guy or an asian on a magazine advertisement or on the tv ad promoting every day stuff as simple as a shaving razor or mouth wash, its alway a white guy with blues eyes.

not diverse at all, and they are never skinny or pudgy, its always well built like your on every roid there is

my taste when it comes to men, i dont have any, although it does help if your on the heavy side and hairy, people have different tastes and i dont think its in my right to say everyone has a shallow view when it comes to what is attractive and what is not.

4. I find myself attracted to all types, but recently I've been extremely attracted to the white, blue eyes with a little scruffy facial hair. Particularly fond of the geeky ones, too. Indians also get me going. Nothing specific to size or foreskin, though.

5. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Well my type is someone with hair that isn't too short nor too long, usually average with spikey hair, bright eyes (I don't really care about the typical "blue eyes" that everyones after, I have blue eyes though so maybe that's why I'm not bothered by it) not bothered about facial hair but rather it not too out of control, either clean shaven or closely trimmed is what I would prefer.

I like a guy with arms that aren't too big that I would feel threatened but not too small like I would feel unprotected, broad shoulders attract me quite a bit too.

I love guys that can make me laugh and have a good time, guys that you can always count on to be there, and won't judge you for anything you say.

I honestly don't care about their penis, big/small circumsized/uncircumsized, however I would prefer if it wasn't too big that it's hard to manage >.<

I really love abs on a chest that aren't so worked on that they actually stick out (I find that repulsive actually) I like abs that are just lightly defined.

Lastly let's not forget a cute butt, however I'm not too fussed about that.

Anyway those are what I personally would find my IDEAL type, I am not shallow and don't really care what the guy looks like so long as we have an emotional connection, there is only one shallow trait I have and that is no gingers, sorry to any gingers reading this, it's just me.

6. Nero

to be honest i find myself really attracted to very pettite and imasculine men that then take the lead in a relationship, but attraction isnt everything love knows no bounds

7. King

King Guest

Strictly physically speaking... My tastes vary. Short, stocky guys always get me going. I'd prefer my men to have meat on their bones (muscle or fat) as I'm not generally attracted to skinny boys (maybe because I am skinny). I like tall boys, blond or brunet, and eye colour doesn't matter.
    As for penis size... Doesn't matter. As long as they're comfortable with themselves then I can't imagine it being a problem...

8. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

My type of guys isn't very specific when it comes to the physical side of everything. I will say, though, that for some bizarre reason I have only dated white guys so far. Why? I have no idea because I find other people attractive so just chance? If it comes to having a "type" I would go with a more geeky kind of guy. Muscles don't do anything for me at all.

In the other hand, I am pretty picky when it comes to personality. I need someone who I don't feel like I'm emotionally babysitting and that doesn't depend on me for his happiness. He can't be socially inept (one social awkard dude is enough for one relationship :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:), has to have ambition, be motivated, and have a high-enough self-esteem. Confidence is a HUGE deal for me; I don't care how you look as long as you can pull it off and you are okay with yourself. The BIGGEST thing, though, is that I like an honest person. I hate mind games and refuse to play them in my relationships. I don't care if you are perfect in every other way, if you can't be straight forward then I'm walking away. Oh, and they can't take themselves too seriously. Having to stroke someone's ego is not what I have planned for a day of fun.

So...yeah, you can probably say I'm pretty picky :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but I think its only a problem if you can't find anyone that fits what you are looking for.

9. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have to echo this. Really my biggest attraction is to smaller guys, I'm about 6''0 and in fairly decent shape, and I just wouldn't want to be with someone bigger than me. And I love the idea of them taking the lead in the relationship, I'm kind of shy. But other than that everything else can vary.

10. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have a type. So long as he laughs at my jokes, my cat likes him, and he bathes frequently, I'm sold. :thumbsup:

For the sake of the thread, I'll toss some things around that pull me in, but they aren't requirements:

I like a guy that has a passion. I don't care what for, but if he has something that captivates him and can make him come alive when he talks about it, that really draws me in. It doesn't have to be anything I like or know about either, he just has to love it (hopefully almost as much as he loves me xD).

I prefer brunette guys, if we're talking caucasian, but race is not really an issue. I have found men from all ethnicities that rev my engine.

Creative guys melt me like a snow cone at the zoo. Whether its singing, painting, writing, sculpting, photography, or anything else - I like 'em artsy.

I have said this numerous times: Men who can fix things! I am like a kiss of death when it comes to machinery (although I recently changed out the faucet in the kitchen all by myself, and boy did that get my testosterone flowing), so if he can fix stuff for me then I'mma put a ring on it.

Physically speaking my tastes vary. I love big, broad guys who look like they could hug you forever and never let go. There is a guy at the hardware store in town who meets this description perfectly. I can't find words whenever I go in there and he's working. I just sort of mumble on and do this stupid laugh thing that seems to erupt from me in situations like that. xD

I like strong facial features too. Nice eyes get me everytime, as does a charming smile.

11. Vabrug

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Can a girl answer? :slight_smile:
    Well... I always wanted to be with a redhead. I guess all of us daydream about something right? I kinda have a crush on 2 friends of mine, one is black and the other asian... they're both really hot in their own way. In the end what matters is really what's inside. It can be what you ever wanted but without that chemestry nothing works... My ex was really different from my usual dreams but he got me head over heels... and I was only dating women at that time. I guess we all have our type... someone we find HOT... but gotta have the wow factor, What do you think?? :wink:

12. kevviedavis

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i used to be very picky in who i wanted. they had to have a six pack. be masculine no facial hair and black. penis size had to be huge. and thts the way i was for the longest time. lately i have been broadening my horizons and found that i was missing out on some really good opportunities. now i just go with whatever. ive found what is on the outside doesnt make a person and the size of your boat dont matter, its the motion in the ocean.

13. timo

When it comes to looks and physics, I like him to be as tall as me or shorter. Not too short though. And definitely not taller, I'm already 6'4". People who are even taller than me are scary.
    Skinny and not too muscle-y (there's probably a word for that but I don't know it) would be nice. Nothing against chubby guys or guys with a lot of muscles but they don't turn me on.
    Nice smiles work too but, against a lot of others, I don't care for eyes. No windows to the soul for me, I don't believe that kind of stuff.
    Oh I do have one requirement: NO FACIAL HAIR. Just... no.

He should be at least a bit into music. I don't even care what type of music, just be into it. Music means pretty much everything to me so if he dislikes it AT ALL that wouldn't work, no matter how awesome he is (oh no that was another requirement).
    And to add some cliches: I like guys to be honest and they should be able to make me laugh. Not only fun stuff though, he should be able to talk serious business too. But not too much.

And I have a strange fascination with emo/hardcore guys. Skinny guys with black hair, skinny jeans, tattoos. Fuck yeah.

I feel so picky right now.

14. IamwhoIam12

I guess you would call me pretty picky. I really like the whole blonde-hair-and-blue-eyes thing. I think if you have those two, and aren't a jerk, everything else falls into place with me. When it comes to penis size? Average, or alittle below average, is good with me.
    I guess, other than body features, I'm more concerned with the way a person carries themselves. I prefer outgoing, confident guys (and even my straight guy-friends) who are willing to express emotion and communicate. I hate talking to a stone wall. Of course, they have to be nice, personable and be passionate about something, anything.

15. Caoimhe Fayre

Vabrug, those redheads are cute, aren't they?

I too hope it's ok for a girl to answer... I would never have suspected myself of having a "type", but now that I think about it... I am really drawn to strong women. Not masculine, but strong, and I don't mean physically strong either. I don't know if that counts as a type. And she doesn't necessarily have to be skinny (in fact, too skinny equals not so attractive also), but I do prefer a woman with a healthy weight range. Not obese, not anorexic... but healthy.

16. FJ Cruiser

As evidenced by the responses already, I think you'll find that this forum tends to attract introspective types who aren't very shallow when it comes to looks. :slight_smile: I have ideals, of course, but nothing too absolute.

The only absolutes that I have, really, are ambition and masculinity. Physically speaking, I tend to be attracted to light eyes, skin, and hair, but my latest crush was a tan guy with dark brown hair (but he had amazing blue eyes). I'm not a big fan of the slim look, but guys who look like they spend hours at the gym everyday aren't great either. I tend to like guys in my height range, but that's probably the preference with the most exceptions. A huge plus for me is ###### on the face.

In regard to personality, I want someone who's ambitious, masculine, adventurous, and able to hold an intelligent conversation. Hopefully emotional stability and good communication skills are automatically included in those other traits. Ideally they'd have a similar tastes in music and entertainment in general.

Basically, put that all together and you get one of those outdoorsy, yuppie types with an indie streak that are present in any large city. *swoon*

#16 FJ Cruiser, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  17. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love geeks, a guy looks so hot with glasses and a D20.

18. I'm not terribly picky in terms of looks, though my ideal type would be about 5'9 (substantially shorter than I am) with a slim build, brown hair and hazel eyes. And he HAS to enjoy art and music, that's non negotiable. I'd like him to enjoy intelligent discourse and love the outdoors, and if he plays guitar, that makes him so much hotter.

19. amwm2wm3

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since two other ladies already answered, I figure I'll put in my two cents.
    I don't think I'm too picky about physical appearances. I prefer Asians, Middle Eastern, Indian, Native American, and Hispanic women. I find black and white women attractive but I prefer darker features if they're white (dark hair and eyes - also a big fan of the redheads!). That being said, I've dated a blonde before. As far as body weight, I just can't do stick thin. I prefer girls between 140-220, but I'm more likely to go for someone who weighs a bit more than less. Honestly, I'm pretty picky about eyebrows. They need to be even and can't be ridiculously arched.
    It's personality I'm picky about. If they can't keep up with me academically, I'm not interested. I need someone who likes to read, can debate politics, and knows history. They need to be interested in what's going on in the world. They need to get (or at least like) my geeky references to Star Trek, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and the like. I also couldn't date someone who butchered the English language too often (double negatives and the like). I also need someone who won't just give in to me. I'm a head strong and opinionated person and I need someone who is just as opinionated at I am - even if it leads to disagreements.
    My husband was the perfect match for me personality-wise and he's the only person who I've ever met who fit my ideal. I think that's why I was able to overlook the whole male thing. He's not bad looking, either, but I think his personality was so fantastic that he could have looked like a troll and I still would have fell in love with him.

20. simon94

I agree really strongly with the sentiment of the OP. I’ve only met a few gay/bisexual guys. All of them (apart from maybe one) are insanely shallow. I very much doubt I’d be able to find a boyfriend in the near future- I don’t seem to fit any of the generally accepted types that for some reason Gay guys HAVE to conform to in order to be seen as attractive.

I personally have physical preferences, but that’s more a kind of ‘dream boyfriend’ kind of thing, and I’m fairly sure it’s based on the guys I’ve liked in the past- in reality I’m really really not picky about looks.