1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the split attraction model?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by kobra kid, Jun 29, 2016.

1. kobra kid

I sometimes see people saying how it's problematic but I can never find an actual source saying what exactly it is or if it's even a real thing beyond internet discourse. Is it when romantic and sexual attractions are different? Is it a real thing? Is it really that harmful?

2. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here, I found this online:

Split Attraction Model = A more in-depth way of analyzing and understanding how we as people are attracted to other people around us, if at all.
    ◾Often divided into romantic and sexual attractions. For many people there’s no need to draw a distinction between their experiences with romantic and sexual attraction, as these types of attraction overlap enough for them to virtually be the same as one another for the individual. Many other people, however, rely on such a distinction to be made in order to better understand themselves beyond rigid labels that never quite fit otherwise.

(From this page: Cauliflower)

So yeah, I guess it's whenever your romantic and sexual orienatation don't match up, that's called split attraction. Many people on EC identify that way, so supposedly it is a real thing (although people debate about it).

I guess it could be a problem if, for example, you are only romantically attracted to males and only sexually attracted to females. It might make it hard to find a relationship that works well for you and that you are satisfied with.

#2 YuriBunny, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016