1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best Fanfic you ever read?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kiwikid, Mar 11, 2017.

1. kiwikid

I haven’t read much fanfic. I would like to, but I seem to lose interest trying to find anything decent worth reading! When I was about 13 years old, I came across a femslash called “Let Us Fly” and it helped me realize I was not alone. I still remember the story line to this day! Is there any fanfic out there that people recommend, and did reading these stories help you the way it helped me?

2. L0ser

Oh, fanfiction. That word dredges up embarrassing memories of when all I did was read and write fanficition, that at this point I hope no one ever, ever finds. However, I do remember reading some sort of story, forgot the name, with a gay couple based on some TV show. It really wasn't well written, but I connected the story a lot and that was about a year before I realized my sexuality.

In hindsight it was kind of a much shorter version of questioning my sexuality. I read a story about a gay couple, found it cute, wanted a relationship like it, told myself I wasn't gay(true), and sought more.

3. Linkmaste

Well if you're into Digimon:

Destiny by BookWormGal
    Digimon Saga by Kingkaiju (lesbian pairings)
    Digimon Tamers: Unity by Linkmaste (tehe totally not endorsing my own story) Has lesbian couples and straight couples and digimon couples and action)

Um, Machines don't Bleed by ChaosandMayhem (Team Fortress 2) is a good story. Not romance. Definitely not.

4. skittlz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My favorite is a Hetalia AU fanfic called "Unfinished Portrait" and it circles around two guys ,Wang Yao and Ivan Braginsky , who fall in love with eachother, while fighting during WW2. It's not exactly a light read, in terms of # of chapters, darker emotions, or violence, but the ending isn't actually that depressing? Because it's an alternate universe, you don't really need to know about hetalia

If you are looking for a WW2 Hetalia AU fanfic with a happier ending (spoil: they rejoice and become a couple) there's a fanfic called "Auf Weiderstein" (sorry I may have spelled it wrong) where a German soldier named Ludwig Beilschmidt and a Italian resistance member, Feliciano Vargas, meet and fall in love.

5. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ah, fanfiction...

To be honest, I don't even necessarily look for good quality fanfiction. I still get a kick out of My Immortal because it is so, unforgivably awful, and it had me laughing, crying, and groaning simultaneously from chapter 1. If I remember any of my favorites I did legitimately find decent, I'll pass them your way!

I don't often talk about it but novels are a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. I managed to track down a copy of Gaywyck a while back. It's standard gothic romance fare (mad women in hidden rooms, evil doppelgangers, fires, murders, our doe-eyed innocent protagonist...), but with gay men. At times it feels like it's trying to write its own fanfiction (there's a scene that comes to mind where Donough and Robbie are literally in a cute little boat shaped like half of a walnut shell...Donough collects art and has an original "Rouen Cathedral" by Monet). It legitimately had me hooked, but I will admit some of the content of the book is questionable (there is a manipulative, sexually active underage character, and a couple of characters with pedophillic history that end up getting what's coming to them).

If you're looking for any fiction, Amazon often has free LGBT (well...mostly LG) novels and short-story collections for Kindle download. You can read them on your computer, if you don't have a Kindle.

6. Mahidevran

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    okay.
    one of my best friends keeps writing fanfiction about me. I'm not kidding.
    he is an amazing writer, so his works are my favourite.

7. Deinna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    At the moment "Danger Zone" by MentalMay, "Keep Your Eyes On The Stars And Your Feet On The Ground" by rosecrayon and "this house doesn't burn down slowly" by whimsicality. If any the 100 fans are looking for good fanfics, I recommend those ones!

I also read one fic about The Mortal Instruments couple of years ago and it's one of my all time favourites, but I can't remember it's name anymore. I probably should find it and read it again.

8. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The Dollmaker's Daughter by UnmovingGreatLibrary on Fanfiction.net. It's a Touhou fanfic, and the main couple involved are two women and it's...incredibly well written. I'm pretty sure that's the best I've ever read. Really cute, lots of good feelings, and a looot of wonderful detail.

Another great one, though, is Flowey is not a Good Life Coach by unrestedjade on AO3. As you can probably guess, it's an Undetale fic. Gotta be warned though, it's got a lot of abuse (physical and mental/emotional), and some suicidal things in it. Bad things that might not be for all audiences. But w o w is it written well. It got me hurting pretty bad. If you want an emotional trip/to feel some hurt, this one is a good one.

Ah, I'm sure there are some other great ones I've read, but I can't really think of them right now.