1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is it like being LGBT at your school?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by QueerChair, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I lost a lot of respect for him after I heard him say that.
    I see why you are so angry, but you shouldn't hope that one of his kids is gay, because he/she is going to go through a lot of struggle and possibly depression/suicidal thoughts for having such a father. I'm actually worried that one of his kids is gay.
    He has NINE kids, of which six are male. My back-of-the-envelope calculation says there is about a 40-50% chance that at least one of his kids is gay/bisexual. (Note that each younger male child is more and more likely to be gay).

2. Sean12

Being LGBT at my school is great. I have many LGBT friends and the people that I've told don't really care.

3. Rowe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, update. I overheard a couple conversations that were bad. One was these two guys saying that transgender people are crazy, and talking about a transgender person they used to go to school with, saying mean things about her. Then another was someone in my class talking about his transgender aunt, saying "Do you have any idea what that's like?". Yeah, I imagine it's SO bad that she is happy being herself. So, it is pretty safe being LGBQAPP+ in my school, but it varies for being TIABGQ+.

4. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Hahaha sounds a LOT like my school, or more like my grade in particular. In fact, I'm pretty sure other people and quite possibly teachers refer to us as the "gay grade" in a joking way. It's a pretty accepting place in the upper grades, especially since the class sizes are very small. In my grade (juniors) a lot of my friends are gay, bi, or pan. My friend is starting a GSA too! So glad I have such great friends. I think I probably would have had a much harder time learning more about my own sexuality if it weren't for them.

5. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Before I graduated, I went to a cyber school (that is, online). It was actually the first place I came out and they, being quite liberal, were very supportive. My teacher whom I'd told immediately switched pronouns and called me my preferred name. Later she also got me involved with the GSA there, which she just so happened to be the advisor of. My experience, as odd as it was, was exactly what I needed when I was first starting to pop my head out of the closet. That early encouragement and support very much helped me come to terms with myself and build courage to eventually come out to my parents.

The benefit of being in a cyber school was that I was protected from harassment by other students, and had direct contact to teachers for help, particularly in my most preferred and adept form of communication: writing.

6. the haunted

Easy. My university is very queer friendly. They even celebrate national coming out day with rainbow decorations and a student hand print collage. They have a door frame you can come out of too lol.

7. Totoro73

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I live in/near the bay area in California, so it's pretty liberal and well accepted

8. RyFastForward

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My school is pretty accepting. I suppose there are some people who are homophobic or say things like "I just don't understand why they'd want to do that" but you'd expect that in semi-rural Victoria. There are openly gay people at my school (I say 'gay' because I don't personally know of anybody who is LBT) and they don't get bullied as far as I know.

9. TicTacsAndCoke

All-girls Catholic school person here!

A theology teacher handed out a packet on why being gay was going against the Church last year. And it was 57 pages. Other than that, the Junior dean has said, "no one may bring a girl to Junior Prom."

I know of two female/female couples at my school and both are in my close group of friends. No one in my friend group is straight. Two people are bi, two are gay, one is pan, and I'm demi.

So I'd say some teachers are homophobic, and the students could not give less of a crap.

(Also, my friends and I are sure that's how it is at all-girls schools. We think that nearly no one is straight.)

10. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is only one very out gay kid at the school and he is made fun of and talked about all the time. The only others queer people I know go to the lgbt club and that's about 25 of us. The word gay is used as an insult or a joke constantly which makes a lot of us very uncomftable. There are quite a few very aggressive kids who have shouted out words like fag and dyke around and bullying in general is a big issue at the school, I've seen it happening so much. I've heard a story about a transphobic teacher, but the staff are actually really good. I'm allowed to use the nurses bathroom as well as having the option to use the boys bathroom and all my teachers call me by correct name and pronouns as far as I know. The only really big problem is the students, who think being trans is 'disgusting' or don't even know what it is. Kids go around in giant gangs and being stared at as you walk past can be really scary. Girls at the school are mostly very hyper feminine and bitching about people all the time. If I could describe it in a short few words, it would be: Like walking on toxic ice

11. i is shark

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of the boys at my school just found out that I'm dating my best friend (female). Now everyone hates us. Wait... not true! We don't hate each other. :slight_smile:

12. faultyink

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm jealous of you and your school! My school does have a GSA but I don't normally attend. No one that I know of is openly homophobic, and I know a decent amount of people who are LGBT+. Not many people know about my sexuality though, so I guess many other people at my school may be like me and just not open about it! (I hope ...heh)

13. Lyr

Lyr Guest

We have a LGBT club, every monday at dinner time we speak about the actualites, about the subjects which mean a lot to us and sometimes we mess around a little XD, it would be good that all the schools have it, our school is more opened even if it's not everybody who accepts us, then I want to say to those who are not lucky as me to continue to be brave. Don't let stupid people affect you with their words ^^

14. Glowing Eyes

It's actually not bad especially considering this is Georgia. You do hear "that's so gay" quite a bit but only one or two of those people are actually homophobes. There's a GSA club that I thought about joining but chose not to because I'm just too shy for that. I'm not out though but I'm sure it wouldn't make much of a difference.

15. Embi

Embi Guest

In my school it was really bad. Nobody talked about it, nobody was openly out and it was an avoided topic in class. One of my accepting teachers once mentioned that he doesn't believe nobody in our year is gay and that the fact that there are closteted people means that we still aren't very accepting. Funny that I didn't know I was a part of the LGBT+ community back then :grin:

Also jokes like "that's gay" or "he looks gay", etc. were common.

#55 Embi, May 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2016
  16. 2Sides

2Sides Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I went to a school dominated by Muslims. Yes it was hard.

17. R M

R M

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    my school is pretty chill. theres not much hate. ofcourse, there will always be homophobes, but not so much at my school. Also, if you make a homophobic comment or anything like that, you'll be in alot of trouble. theres alot of LGBT people at my school. Even some teachers are gay her so its all good.

18. versturk

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I go to a Catholic private school. Everyone there is homophobic (I literally heard these bratty girls say gay marriage was disgusting). I was told my gender and sexuality aren't real things. Although later on the people who told me that, also said my best friend was a child predator, and that I had no friends.
    \(' - ')/

#58 versturk, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
  19. BubbleWart

There are almost 100 kids at my school from kindergarten to Grade 12, and I don't feel that it's a big divider. Most people at my school is open and accepting, which is an amazing circumstance.

20. funsized

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There is a GSA at my school. Lots of people are accepting. I came out to say three (?) teachers this year. Lots of my friends have supported me and my one friend told me to call him whenever I need him. Friends are supportive when family isn't. So school is a great place for me.