1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What if you have a great idea for an "invention" but don't have the tech knowhow ?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by warthog, Jul 20, 2015.

1. warthog

Hi guys,

I have a nice idea for a gadget, and it needs a bit of programming to make a prototype, and I was wondering, how does one get about getting help making the thing, without losing the right for the patent ?

I'm not about to learn a programming language from scratch just to do this.

Any ideas?

2. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Re: What if you have a great idea for an "invention" but don't have the tech knowhow

First make sure it does not already exist.
    Learning to program just what would be needed for it would be best.

3. Im Hazel

Re: What if you have a great idea for an "invention" but don't have the tech knowhow

You can pay people to do stuff for you. If it's an app, there is easy app-building software. If your idea is *that* good, you should do whatever it takes to make it real.

4. Lazuri

Just be very careful when submitting a patent and especially when submitting a software patent as patent trolls are everywhere.

I'd do a more elaborate explanation, but John Oliver does it much better.
    [YOUTUBE]3bxcc3SM_KA[/YOUTUBE]

5. Ab4t5

Like Perfectlynormal said above, try to make sure that it already exists. If not, you might want to pitch your idea to some freelancer coders for input.

6. warthog

Thanks for the input guys .... this needs a bit more thought

7. RainDreamer

Try to at least learn some of the tech (like the theories, the underlying principles, the logic, etc), just enough so that you can actually write a patent application for your idea. That way it will protect you from being screwed out of your idea. And then, like others said, research and see if there is already a similar idea. Try google patent search and see some examples.

8. mangotree

It's mind boggling to think of the number of people over the years who have hit this same hurdle and their idea never sees the light of day.
    If you're passionate about your idea, do everything in your power to make it happen.

It's similar to a thought I often have about all the great potential athletes that exist in the world.
    There's probably dozens of faster runners than Usain Bolt out there, but they never get the chance to compete because of where they're born or what their living conditions are etc.
    There must be so much unrealised potential in the world.

9. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

Do not sell your patent unless you have made your idea, a lot of everyday items were sold for cheap when patents.

10. Gen

Gen

Learn the craft or don't expect much.

Ideas are plentiful. It doesn't mean that the ones that come to you can't be brilliant, but the concept of having an idea and having other people bring it to life doesn't actually exist unless you are a celebrity. If you were a celebrity, then the benefit of giving you credit would be that the book, app, product, organization, etc, would gain more attention. Otherwise, there is no benefit for a programmer, writer, expert, etc, to bring an idea to life for someone else and give them credit. The true innovation comes in the execution, not the concept.

11. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Well...this isn't going to work unless you somehow figure out how to model, manufacture, and source the components as well as figure out how to program the dam thing. Depending on what it is, this sounds like a hell of a waste of time and money. It's not easy in the slightest.

12. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

I agree wholeheartedly. A few (3) friends, or I probably should refer to them as acquaintances at this point, came to me and asked if I wanted to join them in developing an app. That is, they were creating a start up. So I listened and they wanted a lead developer. Given that they all have computer science degrees, this sounded like it could be fun. After they explained it further, it basically came down to: they wrote 40 lines of code that would probably be discarded, and they wanted me to develop everything from scratch and make it scale to millions of users. They all wanted to be product managers and not write code. Really....

I don't believe in doing the wrong thing in general, but just stop. Wait a second. Why on earth would I even consider joining a team where I did 100% of the footwork and design work? Why wouldn't I just do this on my own? An idea is useless if you can't make it a reality.

Come on people. :dry: