1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Gov. Palin needs to know about love

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by beckyg, Sep 8, 2008.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  2. Janvier

This woman is crazy and sooo hypocritical it's not even funny.
    I can't believe someone like her will probably have such responsability in the most powerful country in the world.
    I'm not even in the US and I'm scared, whatever happens in the US has an impact on the rest of the world and the French President loooooves the US so much :frowning2:
    I really, really hope Obama wins.

3. Well like the article says its unfair to assume right now that she endorses ex gay therapy. Even if she does endorse it she hopefully would know it would be unwise politically to publicly approve it because she would risk losing votes from people like log cabin republicans. At most I think governor palin will look the other way when this congregation happens and pretend she is too focused on her campaign to know its going on.

4. Noah

Wow...how sad. Watch the video too, its moving.

5. EM68

The article was sad. I wonder though if Gov Palin knows about the group and I wonder if anyone has asked her on what her stances are regarding gay issues. Just because her church endorses the group it doesn't mean she does. Look at the issues earlier the year with Obama and his church.

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    OK, here is Gov. Palin's record on gay issues:

Palin Opposed Supreme Court Ruling Giving Same-Sex Couples Benefits: Asked if she would support the Alaska Supreme Court’s ruling that spousal benefits for state employees should be given to same-sex couples, Palin responded, “No, I believe spousal benefits are reserved for married citizens as defined in our constitution.” [Eagle Forum questionnaire]

Palin Opposed Expanding Hate Crimes Laws: Asked if she would support an effort to expand hate crime laws, Palin responded, “No, as I believe all heinous crime is based on hate.” [Eagle Forum questionnaire]

Palin Said She Supported Ban on Gay Marriage and Denying Benefits to Gay Couples: “Palin said she’s not out to judge anyone and has good friends who are gay, but that she supported the 1998 constitutional amendment [to ban gay marriage]. Elected officials can’t defy the court when it comes to how rights are applied, she said, but she would support a ballot question that would deny benefits to homosexual couples. ‘I believe that honoring the family structure is that important,’ Palin said. She said she doesn’t know if people choose to be gay.” [Anchorage Daily News (Alaska), 8/6/06]

Palin Said She Supported a Constitutional Amendment Overturning Supreme Court Mandate of Benefits for Same-Sex Couples: Asked if she would support a Constitutional amendment to overturn the Alaska Supreme Court decision mandating public employers to provide benefits equivalent to same-sex couples, Sarah Palin responded “yes.” [Alaska Family Council Voter Guide, 8/22/06]

Yes, not everybody agrees with things going on in their churches. I left mine because of my beliefs. Obama eventually left his. I think the article was fairly written.

7. EM68

Thanks Becky I did not know that about Palin. Now it makes me really have to think about McCain. Truthfully until I realized that I was gay I did not really think too much about a candidates stances on gay issues. Since 2001 I have been more focused on which one would keep our country safe. I feel bad now :frowning2:

8. Well like it says in what becky posted governor palin isn't out to judge people and she doesn't know whether or not people choose to be gay. Obviously we know you can't choose to be gay but if she doesnt know then surely she can't actively support the ex gay movement which was the subject of that article about the ex gay congregation in Anchorage.

9. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hey, don't feel bad. I didn't really get into politics until I started my advocacy for gay rights either. I knew very little and I still have alot to learn! We can't just look at one issue when electing a President either. Its important to weigh all the things we care about. Gay rights is very important to me. Of course home security, the economy and ending the war are important to me too.

(*hug*)

10. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    The ex-gay movement if founded and supported by people who know nothing about homosexuality. They base their beliefs solely on their interpretation of the Bible. Even now that scientific evidence is available, some of them are saying well maybe you don't choose to be gay but you can be celibate. So they want our kids (My son!) to live without love and physical intimicacy in their life. That makes Becky a little irate. :tantrum:

11. EM68

Its true. You should look a multiple issues when deciding. Thanks.

12. mikeh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ever since I she was picked as the vp candidate, I have heard more and more not to like about the GOP. The paper had a bio about her a few weeks ago. Apparently her "qualifications" for executive office include a degree in journalism, a career in sports radio broadcasting... and then what, one term as governor?

Earlier this year I would have voted Republican without question. I have a very good friend who is in Iraq right now, and even though I really don't want to prolong the war, it seems (in my opinion) that Obama lacks support for the troops. Have no idea who would be better suited to run the country, there should be a "none of the above" option on the ballot.

13. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Curious....why do you think Obama lacks support for the troops?

14. I understand, but even if she did support it she would have to realize how politically unwise it would be to come right out and say it. To avoid mess, she would probably turn a blind eye to this gathering. Just like how she said she isn't out to judge people and how she has gay friends. Is that true? Probably half of it is at best. I would guess that even though she isn't campaigning for our rights she would probably not actively make speeches against us like Representative Sally Kern did. That would be political suicide.

15. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    We will see about that in the next few weeks. I'm sure she's going to be asked about it because gay rights is very much in the forefront right now. She won't be able to turn a blind eye to it. John McCain has said publicly (on Ellen) that same-sex couples could have "ceremonies" if they wished but marriage was between a man and a woman. I've been to the Capital here in Oregon and talked with Senators and Representatives (Republicans) and also been to Washington DC and it is a rarity for Republicans to support gay rights.

16. We'll see indeed. Even though she most likely won't be actively supporting us, I still doubt she'll actively oppose us. She'll probably be more or less indifferent.

17. mikeh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There was something I heard, I think it was about him touring Iraq and not even meeting with the troops (or something similar). Might be unfounded, but it was the impression I got.

Also have heard from some people in the service that the democrats' plan to pull us out will waste all the effort already spent over there. Now, I know they want to pull us out "responsibly"... and I'd be all for that. Honestly, I haven't really kept up with Iraq other than what's been in the major headlines.

18. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The story goes on to say how Obama did not know that soldiers would be waiting to meet him there, he didn't plan on it, and he was already pressed for time. He was there to discuss something with people other than the soldiers.

Anyway, Palin continues to frighten, and sadden, and disappoint me. "Spousal rights? No! Hate crime protection? No! Right to marry? No! ......but I have some gay friends, so that makes me tolerant, right?"

19. Like one of the comments said in the article it really isn't about who people love at all. It's about getting the bigot vote. Since a lot of people who vote Republican tend to be against things like homosexuality, she's trying to appeal to that base of the party because they have a pretty good hold on it.

20. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    There was an e-mail that went around about him supposedly going to Afghanistan and not meeting with the troops. That was unfounded in fact there is a video of him engaging conversation with the soldiers.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/afghanistan.asp