1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you wear on your first gay date? :)

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, May 16, 2016.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just serendipitously found this cute top today, little gray shirt, form fitting with a flirty neckline, and I've got these long black trousers, skinny jean style, they show off my long legs (I think). Do you guys think I have the right idea for a first girl date? I'm not much of a skirt or dress girl, and anyway I thought I should keep it sort of casual but cute....am I doing this right? I haven't been in a date in ages....so, I'm really not sure how to do it anymore.

Thoughts???

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My recommendation would be to wear a smile, first and foremost (and avoid stuff that can get trapped in teeth, like spinach, LOL)

As for what to wear, I am as useless as can be in that department...except be yourself, because being yourself is absolutely the easiest thing to wear! :grin:

Best of luck!

3. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :kiss:

:icon_bigg

Haha. I will try my best to avoid spinach. :wink:

Thanks for the encouragement and the luck :slight_smile:

Just like seconds after posting this I got a message from the woman I've been chatting with that she needs to postpone. It's ok... More time to work on spinach avoidance. :slight_smile:

#3 baristajedi, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
  4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wear something nice, but don't wear something that you would feel uncomfortable in. If you don't feel comfortable in the way you dress, you will probably not feel comfortable on the date.

Top tip: Don't order spinach! :grin:

5. taken

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with the above comments. Don't wear something you're not comfortable in. My first date I wore some nice "dress" type jeans and a cute colorful top. We went to a really nice restaurant (didn't require dresses for women and suit and tie for men, but a dress casual type atmosphere). Also, dress for what ever the plans for the date are. If you're going to a nice restaurant, may want to dress it up a little more. If you're going hiking, may want more hiking gear :wink:. You get my drift. If that is suitable for the planned date, it sounds great to me. No need to go over the top, be and dress yourself. It'll help you be more comfortable in all ways.

6. Really

[YOUTUBE]b9ssHoJWjKY[/YOUTUBE]

7. confusedbubble

It depends where you are going or what you're doing, always wear something you are comfortable in if you don't like skirts or dresses then don't wear one.

Or you could even ask your date what they're planning to wear to the date just tell them that you've a few outfits planned and your struggling to pick so would like to know what they're wearing to the date.

I met my date nearly 2 week ago week had a walk and took some time to get to know each other instead of being sat in a formal setting we both spoke about what we were to wear plus it was going to be nice weather so didn't want to be to hot... It worked out ok because we both felt comfortable and at ease

8. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On a more humorous note, this is how I read your post, and my thoughts were that I was surprised to learn that the lesbian community had the notion of top and bottom :slight_smile:

As to what to wear, wear something comfortable and appropriate to the date venue. On my first date during my coming out high, I went very casual, brought him flowers, and got lucky :slight_smile:

#8 SiennaFire, May 16, 2016
  9. whizbang

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Honestly, I've spent way too much time thinking about what I will wear. But anyway, I'm thinking of some green cargo pants, black t-shirt, a small pride bracelet, and to finish it off, some cute black strappy sandals. Just a nice clean relaxed casual look. That date is actually happening next weekend! Yay!!!!

#9 whizbang, May 16, 2016
  10. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sienna, lolololol!

Jedi, when Iwent on that date a couple of weeks ago, I wore the shirt that I felt like I had looked best in during the previous week. The main thing Iwent for was something that Ifelt comfortable in and I looked good in. When she showed up, and Iassume she has been on several more dates than I have, she was dressed like me on most days, lol. Button down in a color that was good for her. Like, definitely had the hygine, but not overly dolled up. Of course, we were just doing lunch, but it seemed like we both just wore things we felt good in.

Of course, given my lack of second date, grain of salt? *sigh* I have decided to just sit back and do nothing on that one. Maybe if I miraculously lose 20 pounds after Icome out to family, I'll text her again?

11. Distant Echo

Lmao Sienna. It depends on who you are dating. I am definitely a bottom for my butch.

12. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know. Hopefully, my wife will pick out my clothes!

13. freeapril

Well, I haven't had huge success dating so far, but from my experience going out with girls who I assume know more about this than I do, I think your outfit sounds perfect! I have noticed that most people tend to wear something nice but casual. I showed up overdressed several times and it was so embarrassing! You'd think, being a woman myself, that I would know what they're thinking, but I don't have a freaking clue! Sigh. I used to think I was just socially awkward, and then I realized I'm gay and thought maybe my awkwardness was just because I didn't realize I was a lesbian! But no, as it turns out, I'm just a socially awkward lesbian. Anyway, I've enjoyed reading your posts and hearing your story! Best of luck on your date!!!

14. yuanzi

OP, good luck on your date! I totally agree with the others that you should wear whatever you feel comfortable and confident in.

I wore a somewhat fancy dress on my first and only casual date with a lesbian a few years ago. The first thing she said to me was 'I guess you will never be the guy in the relationship' (she was in jeans and t-shirt). Let's just say that dress is no longer with me now :slight_smile:

15. OutofZCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you've got it covered. Here's my two cents. If she's younger try and wear something that makes you look younger.

16. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Patrick UK - 2 votes against spinach, got it :slight_smile:. I like the idea of being comfortable. I want to look nicely dressed and look cute and flirty but I don't have many flirty things.

Taken - thanks, this is all super helpful. We're going for drinks, so I guess I'll dress like I'm going out to a bar and want to look cute/fun.

Really - that YouTube clip was awesome, I'm going up have to watch more of their clips.

Confused bubble - thanks! I'll make sure to be comfortable and dress like "me". I don't feel comfortable enough with this woman to ask her something like that just now. We've only been chatting online.

---------- Post added 17th May 2016 at 12:40 AM ----------

Siennafire - :lol: that's awesome. Well I know as much as you at this point about lesbian sex. Let's hope that changes :wink:

Ok I feel good about my thoughts on being casual. It feels right. And go you by the way, getting lucky on your first date!

Whiz bang - ah good luck on your first date!!! I will probably be spending lots more time thinking about this too lol. It's a fun thing to plan and play around with though.

---------- Post added 17th May 2016 at 12:44 AM ----------

Katchoo - I'm sure you were adorbs!!! Some things just don't work out. I'd go on a second date with you, you're a total sweetie! :kiss:

Ok I'm going to go with the clothes that make me feel good.

---------- Post added 17th May 2016 at 12:44 AM ----------

I'm heading out into work - I'll be back to this thread!!! You guys are the best!

17. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Wear what you'd wear on a straight date

18. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Distant echo- :lol: awesome :wink:

Nickw- do you have a date planned? If so, yay!!

Freeapril - thanks! :slight_smile: I'm feeling good about the casual idea, this feedback from everyone is so helpful. I'm like you, btw, socially awkward, and I also have no idea what women want! I'm glad to know another woman feels the same!!

Thanks yuanzi! Are you still with the same girl you went in your first girl date with?? Wow, that's awesome!

---------- Post added 17th May 2016 at 09:41 AM ----------

Outofzcloset - she is younger! :slight_smile: good tip, I'll remember that!

Silly goose - well, I haven't been on a straight date in 9-10 years so... But even so, I think women want different things than men. I don't know how to dress cute for a woman. Being a girl, you'd think I'd know, but honestly, I don't think I do!

Edit to add- what I mean when I say women want different things...I don't know why I believe this, but I feel like she's not going to judge my body the way straight dudes do. Maybe that sounds like I'm stereotyping, sorry to straight non-judgy guys.

I really appreciate women of many shapes, I guess I may be being naive or overgeneralising but straight dates feel stressful, I have a bad taste of feeling pressured to dress up and accentuate sometimes unrealistic things that guys want to see versus just aiming to look confident and flirty.

#18 baristajedi, May 17, 2016
    Last edited: May 17, 2016
  19. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No date planned...just a fantasy I suppose. I am coming out in the next week so it will be awhile before any "dating." I was joking around a bit! I do think it is great for you that you have reached this level of direction that you are thinking of the details of a first date.

20. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, good luck coming out next week!! Will you mostly be coming out to your wife at that point? Keep us updated!

And thanks. :slight_smile: honestly I'm still sorting it out in terms of how it all fits into things with my husband, but we've been heading this way for a while. And I'm ready to date, I really want to do this :slight_smile: