1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Rayland, Aug 25, 2021.

1. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I have been thinking of maybe revealing that I am trans to my female classmate, who is in the same course with me. It seems like she is very open minded about LQBT+ topics and I know it, because we have had discussions on this subject, but I also fear she might out me too, because she is very chatty person and that’s not a bad thing. I just fear she might say it to someone who does out me. We are not very close to each other either, she is just a classmate who I talk to a lot and we get along very well. I just thought that before I decide anything I would just hear other opinions on this.

2. CharlieLuca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Rayland.

I'm not going to lie to you but I'm kinda scared on your behalf ... Like it's great you feel ready to come out to someone... And they do sound like they'll understand which is great. But from what you said about your classmate, I'm scared they'll unintentionally out you so I'd say be wary.

Also you said you aren't very close to each other? Maybe if you feel ready to tell someone, maybe try someone you feel like you have a closer bond with and is more trustworthy?

I just don't want you to get hurt, that's all.

Rayland likes this.
  3. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel that way as well. And if I think about telling my other friend I am much closer with, then I feel like she would get so confused and I don’t know how she feels about this. Thank you for answering. I am scared of getting hurt myself, so that’s why I am doubting, but the same time it feels like it would be okay.

4. CharlieLuca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I understand what you mean.
    At the end of the day, it's your life. If you feel you'd be able to manage and control whatever situations come your way from coming out (which I hope are only good ways) then I say go with your heart and do what feels right.

Just be safe.

Rayland likes this.
  5. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Being out is a personal choice. If you decide that is what you want then go ahead and do it. Keep in mind though that the more people you tell the higher the likelihood of them telling others. I have found that even if I extract an promise of total secrecy that almost no one is capable of really keeping it to themselves. Only people who themselves know what it is like to have a secret that can endanger them seem to really be able to not share things.

Rayland and CharlieLuca like this.
  6. CharlieLuca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree.

7. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That’s very true too. If you tell one person, then the chances of being outed to others is higher. I am not entirely ready to come out to lots of people.

8. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you. Yes that’s very true as well. I am not sure if I can manage being out to many people, if I tell one and they tell others.

9. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You dont have to if you dont want too

Rayland likes this.
  10. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course. I do know that. It’s just a possibility, that I might crack and just tell her without thinking clearly.

11. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When you gonna do it

12. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not right now. I don’t know when and how. Everything is very uncertain.

13. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I know you know that a lot of what happens to us in life is out of our control. Hell, that’s why you’re here, something you didn’t choose yet affects your life.You will never be free of risk, and you will never be totally free of fear of risk. Every single step you take (or don’t) carries risks. There are risks to staying closeted to! Avoiding risk is ironically, terribly risky. Measuring and comparing risks, ah, that can be useful. I like list making. Put it down on paper, everything that you risk by telling your friend, and everything you risk by don’t (be honest with this one, it’s easy to say you risk nothing but you know that’s not true). When you’re done, you might see your answer.

old tacoma likes this.
  14. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are not wrong. Well I would risk with is loosing these friends and risk being outcasted at school for an entire year and that my family finds out somehow, because people talk and they wont accept it. I feel like these risks are too much for me, especially if I am not totally independent yet, because I depend on my family a lot right now, with financial support and that I can go to school and that I have a roof over my head, even though as 30 years old I should be independent. Life just decided otherwise. I know I should be choosing my own happiness over what others say and I let these fears control my life. I don’t know how to let go of these fears. List making is very good idea. I did think, that if I am more independent and have an steady job, after I finish school next year, then I will come out to everybody and change myself entirely to become male. That’s my plan for now at least.

15. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I’m sorry it isn’t safe for you to come out yet, and thanks for sharing your list! I won’t pressure you, but I must point out that you didn’t mention what you risk by NOT speaking up. You can’t really assess a risk without comparing it to an alternative. For me, the risks of not coming out are those that come with untreated depression. My biggest fear, personally, is losing my wife. Well, if discovering that she’s had a wife this whole time doesn’t do it, realizing that she’s married to a depressed man who won’t be getting better will. I’m that respect, it’s beginning to dawn on me that remaining closeted may represent a greater risk than coming out

16. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don’t pressure me at all, so no worries. Thank you for sharing your story and views too. It made me think about lots of things. You have big risks too, so I totally get it. I am pretty depressed too and yes, there are big risks there too. I hope you find courage to talk to your wife. It can be very shocking to hear and it needs a lot of work to maintain your relationship afterwards, but your own health is very important as well and it can’t be good for that relationship either. Oh and don’t take these words, like someone experienced. I am not experienced at all, when it comes to relationships, this is just what I get from your story.

17. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    There are plenty of people with experience out there, and I can learn from them. Currently I’m trying to learn from trans women who are also published (Jenny Boylan is talking right to me). But I’m also feeling lost in the woods, and this forum has made me feel like I’m lost I the woods with a small group of equally inexperienced hikers. I’m going to keep reading the (ahem) “experts”, but you guys, gals, gays, gulls etc are all making me feel way less alone. Thanks my fellow incompetent forest-people!

Rayland likes this.
  18. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Rayland.....It depends on how well your classmate can keep your secret. Perhaps you could have a conversation with her about people who have outed others and see how she reacts. That could give you a better feel for how she would handle your situation. Also...how important is it to you that you keep you sexuality secret. For some people coming out is a very serious thing that they want to have happen when, where and how they want it to. For others it isn't as serious and having another person actually "start the ball rolling" is a relief that they don't have to do it themselves. Think it through and decide how you want the coming out experience to happen for you then you'll have a better answer to your original question! :old_smile:
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

19. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for answering. The thing is that I don't know how well they can keep secrets. Coming out is very serious for me too and it has to happen, when i'm ready for it and have mentally prepared. I think I try to ask, if our conversations are going in that direction. She might think something is up, if I ask it out of the blue.

20. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I have decided to take a big step and instead of my classmate, I want to tell my close friend about me. She has been my friend for years and even if she don't like it, then I don't think she would tell others, because I have helped her a lot and if she don't want to talk to me anymore, then it's alright, even though I will be sad. It was her decision. Now I'm thinking how should I tell her. I feel like it's best to do so, when talking eye to eye. We chat in messenger all the time too, but I don't feel like it's the best to do it like that, or would it be better?