1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you guys think of "the bisexual chic"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Andreana21, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Andreana21

Hey everyone!

I was wondering what do u guys think of "the bisexual chic", the fact that there are more and more celebrities and people coming out as bisexuals. Personally, I feel like a lot of celebrities come out as bi because it's fashionable right now. The whole gay thing is. But many of them actually are closeted straighties. I'm not saying all of them are, and I'm also a supporter of the spectrum
    And, to be fair, maybe society is more accepting nowdays, that's why there are more bisexuals out. But many people have told me that I just do it cause it's fashion. I even used gay as a stepping stone to bisexual because that label disgusted me for some time because of this.

So what do you guys think? Is it fashion or is this a new step to a more open minded world?

What celebrities do you think are really bi, and who aren't, in your opinion?

2. StarryNightsky

I wonder if there are any celebrities scared of coming out as bisexual because they'd be considered fake and a liar even though they're not... I think some at least may be coming out as bi to be fashionable but some of those celebrities aren't and are getting mixed up with the ones who aren't. Some celebrities might be coming out as LGBT because it gets them more attention and they become role-models (which I don't really think role-models are just based off of orientation if they are at all).

3. RGEm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's one of the reasons I'm slightly worried about coming out at the moment, in case everyone just thinks I'm being fake. I'm not really sure what celebrities are faking it though, since I don't know them. Like you said yourself, it could be because society is a lot more supportive nowadays, so they have the confidence to come out now

#3 RGEm, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  4. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Its not my job to extrapolate who is and is not truly bisexual. I take what people say at face value.

That said, I know a few heterosexual females who tell guys they're bisexual, under the belief that it will make them see hotter and/or more exotic.

Its irritating from an "i get bullshit over my sexuality, but you get brownie points for it" standpoint, but ultimately, i guess its none of my business. People lie about things all the time to create a more attractive illusion of themselves.

5. thepandaboss

This has been going around for years. And honestly, I don't why we shouldn't take someone seriously. Sexuality isn't always black or white. Bisexuals tend to be under a lot of pressure to conform. It probably sounds hypocritical coming from someone who actually used to call himself bisexual when he wasn't sure of where the chips fell, but I think bisexuality is really just more common than people used to believe. It's not my job to determine who's "really" bi and who's not.

There might be people who lie about being bi (me!) for whatever reason- maybe they operate under the assumption being bisexual is more acceptable (this seems silly to me- I think monosexuals are under less scrutiny) or they simply don't know what their true orientation is.

But most bisexuals ARE truly, deeply bisexual. In a community where bisexuals are constantly thrown shit, I admire the courage of someone who won't conform and lie about their sexuality.

6. Synesthesia

bisexual is a label that is used to describe an awful lot of variation tbh. Anything that isn't fully straight or gay really, potentially. So that makes it awkward in the first place.

7. Box

Box

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If someone tells me that they are bisexual, I will accept that, because:

If more people are open about being bi then that's awesome. Wether or how they embrace their sexuality is not really my business. Even if someone actually is faking it to get attention, the way I see it - it's pointless in the long run.

It has been very hard for me to accept my sexuality, simply because I was convinced for the longest time that it was just a fake label, and that I must be "in denial" about my true self. I wonder where that came from?

Regardless, I actually don't think less of people who slaps on the bi-label "carelessly", everyone has their reasons, bad or good. I have a problem with people who are treating everyone who uses the label with scepticism.

8. alexandr

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If someone says they are bisexual, I'll accept they are, although I can only assume some celebrities who have come out as bisexual actually aren't (although that's mainly due to cynicism about celebrities), but I won't speculate on the sexuality of any celebrity.

9. FionaStarfall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sure there are some celebrities that do it just to get attention in the media.. though when I came out to one of my closest friends, she accused me of using it for attention because "bisexuality isn't real, it's just to get men's attention." This made me extremely sad. It's upsetting that people think that way, though I can understand why, but it's also upsetting that there are people that claim a particular orientation just to make themselves more popular or newsworthy.

10. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To be fair, many "straight" people aren't really straight, if that makes sense, so it's possible they are bisexual, but not to the point where they're getting crap slung at them like out and proud gay men and lesbians.

As far as straight girls kissing, writing songs about kissing, and kissing to get male attention? Boring. Now, once bisexuality in men is celebrated and considered "empowering", I'll be impressed.

11. faustian1

These days, if a celebrity's publicist advises that being metrosexual is chic, then metrosexual it is. When it comes to the entertainment industry, tangible fact is an elusive commodity.

They weren't saying it in 1950, for a reason. They are saying it, in 2016, for a reason.

This is not an attempt to dismiss genuine expressions of a celebrity's feelings, for noncommercial reasons. It's just very hard, for me to tell the difference.

I'd rather stick with Matthew Shepard as a poster child, given the choice between him and a celebrity.

12. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like others, if someone says they're bi, I'm going to take their word for it. I'd expect other people to take my word on my own sexuality, not give me crap, so I won't give someone else crap.

Honestly, I kinda think we might be slowly getting there.....still a long way though. The guy I'm talking to right now straight up told me he thinks it's kinda hot. Not a reaction I ever expected.