1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What determines who you are naturally attracted to?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Niagara, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've always kind of wondered what causes people to be attracted to who they are. When you see someone and before even talking to them you're just instantly attracted to them.

Also, why is it that most of the world seems to enjoy the same traits like stereotypical good looking actors etc. yet other people are completely disinterested in those people and like something else instead?

There has to be something that causes this right?

2. faultyink

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I read somewhere that people are drawn to those who are familiar in some way? So I guess that means you fall for people who look a bit like you.

3. fadedstar

fadedstar Guest

Maybe I'm stating the obvious here but I think a combination of innate factors like your genetic make up and and conditioned factors (how you've been taught to view the world and deal with others) probably determines who you end up being attracted to.

We seem to be drawn to that which is exotic/different or new to us and we also seem to be drawn to that which is familiar or "safe"... So I'd say the people who hit the sweet spot between new and familiar are the ones we find most attractive. So something like this:

familiar-------------------ideal-------------------new/exotic

#3 fadedstar, Dec 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2017