1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What can I do to help the feeling

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Colton1212, May 6, 2022.

1. Colton1212

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really need someone to talk to. I am in love with this guy that I could never have and it is eating away at me. Every time I think of him I just cry on the inside because I know I can never have him. Please someone tell me how to ease the pain. I have been looking for ways to fall out of love with someone but I guess you really can't do that. I just want to make the pain stop.

2. CapnMal

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I’m sorry you’re feeling so much pain! When I hurt there are a few things that usually help me shift my focus.

Journaling is a big one! Something about putting my feelings down on paper really helps me to set things aside and gain some perspective on them.

Going for a walk outside helps me clear my head, especially if I walk far enough and fast enough for some endorphins to kick in.

Lastly, I throw my focus into my work or a project. For me, my side project is usually something involving creative writing, but it could just as easily be landscaping your yard, or building a piece of furniture, or planning a trip. Just something else that you can think and talk about and work on.

Sunchimes likes this.
  3. Colton1212

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you. I think I might go for a run here in a few minutes.

Sunchimes and CapnMal like this.
  4. CapnMal

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You’re welcome, I hope you get feeling better!

Colton1212 and Sunchimes like this.
  5. Sunchimes

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You’ve already been given great advice from @CapnMal and I’d like to add to the list of possible distractions. Music! Music is a fantastic focus and we can choose the type of music which lifts us. You can listen to music whilst you’re doing other projects as well. I don’t know if you can play an instrument but that helps me tremendously when I need to help focus my attention away from things that upset me.

Sorry you’re so hurt at the moment.

Colton1212 likes this.
  6. bambibat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was in the same position with someone once. I fell in love with a straight girl in my mid teens, so naturally we could never be a thing and it destroyed me for years. It genuinely felt like I would never be able to stop having feelings for her and I’d always be miserable over it — but that wasn’t true. What helped me was distance. I stopped following her on all social medias and it got to the point where I pretty much never saw her in real life either (mostly thanks to the fact we ended up going to different colleges). It still took a bit of time but it was by far the most effective thing! If you’re able to stop yourself from seeing this guy then I’d suggest trying that. Though I understand that can be difficult in some circumstances. But generally, the less you’re around him the more he’ll slowly ease out of your mind, and those feelings will go with it. Distracting yourself with other things (like what others have suggested here) is also definitely helpful in those moments when you just need to get away from an emotion, or let it out.

I know it’s difficult. I wish you luck and hope you can feel better soon!

7. Sunchimes

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Excellent advice here. I had a similar scenario and the only way to get rid of those feelings is to completely cut off and give yourself time. After a while, your thoughts divert to other things and you find you’re not even thinking about that person any more.

It’s tough and not as easy as it sounds but it’s the only way.

Colton1212 and bambibat like this.
  8. GraceMiamor

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Try looking for someone you like to talk to try getting to know them better and see if things swing the other way maybe you fall for the next person you talk to idk sorry not really good at love advice

9. Colton1212

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are fine. Every little bit helps.

CapnMal likes this.