1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are your plans for higher education?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mei Freeborn, Jun 16, 2015.

1. I'm planning to major in Chemical Engineering for my undergrad. California has two university systems, and I want to attend a school in the University of California system. However, I feel like my grades aren't going to let me get admitted into the UC system because it's very prestigious.

Part of the reason why I want to go to a school in the UC system is because I would be allowed to dorm and I could come out to my parents. I'm actually considering going to community college first, and transfer.

2. blurry

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm aiming at a medical specialty, although my mathematics skills are lacking, so hopefully I can figure out something. I would personally like to enlist as an officer in the Canadian Forces and attempt to apply for a training program that will orient me toward being a med officer. So I would probably need to find my way into med school, I'm still shooting toward the field regardless of whether or not my CF application gets accepted, although I have a disability that makes heavy duty schooling a bit of a struggle.

I still have two years to finalize what I want to do, I'm taking an extra year to complete the prereqs for admission to uni

(Yeah I'm just giving a general summary, I haven't exactly figured out what my undergrad and school of choice I want to apply for)

#22 blurry, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  3. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I graduated Bachelor of Education with distinction. Working on my Masters of Adolescent Health and Wellbeing, and hoping to do a PhD at some point.

4. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the advice :slight_smile:

But yes, I live to argue and debate. It's one of my favorite things. And I don't usually have a problem with my arguments veering into ad hominem and that frustrates some people who clearly try to provoke me. I think it will be right up my alley :wink:

5. aindrias

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am going into my third year of a physics course, but it's the physics that mathematics undergrads do. From next year on, I will no longer have to do any labs, but it's still an accredited physics degree. It just focuses mainly on the mathematics. So far, I've done classes with the physics dept and the maths dept and I prefer the way the maths dept does physics.

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I could definitely see you attaining those goals and leaning in those directions. Double majors and major-minor combinations are always possible if you plan things out ... which I did NOT do when I went through those rites of passage. I was just trying to keep my head above water and it wasn't the academic aspects that were challenging.

---------- Post added 16th Jun 2015 at 11:22 PM ----------

Do most people in your country stay close to their own big cities to study or is it sort of a rite of passage to go from, say, Melbourne to Sydney or Adelaide just to move away from where you're from and get a new perspective the way kids in the states do?

7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I might just get a 2 year degree or my associates because there's plenty of jobs I can find with that.

8. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

Well, I'm already in college, but I do plan on going to graduate school. I currently have an associate's in biology, I'm working on a bachelor's in marine biology, and I want a master's in marine conservation.

9. ms24601

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Don't worry, none taken. I haven't seen Avenue Q but I do know that song and I have to say it's pretty accurate :lol:

10. CalluxRising

I'm currently in med school and though it's too early to think of yet, I really want to get a specialization in ortho surgery or rehab medicine -- anything that has something to do with repair and restoration of the musculoskeletal system. Also (although it's unrelated with what I'm doing now) I want to take cosmology studies in the future. All because I'm a sucker for anything outer space.

11. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm hoping to get into a culinary program, and from there, I'm rather interested in a (somewhat) local Food Tech course.

I'm also considering apprenticeship as a first step though. We'll see..

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Finally finish my Associate's in Criminal Justice.

With that, I will be able to enter the legal system and can avoid being a police officer. Not that I wouldn't mind being a cop, I just would much rather prefer to make sure things are balanced, or getting you out of the system.

Nobody is going to say--

"Ahh shiiiit, there goes that damn Justine, puttin' my cousin in jail. Fuck them, that's why their food is gettin' spit in!"

--if I'm the one who got their cousin out.

Besides, I rather enjoy working against The Man (LOL), because they already have the vast majority of advantages. There's something about being the balance or taking up for the underdogs of society, that appeals to my inner renegade.

Instead it'll be:

"Ahh shiiiit, there's my girl Justine! Hey, lemme get you a side of fries! Ooooh, you be lookin' good, too!"

While I'm learning the ropes, my goal is to, using the funds available to all those in the Kentucky legal system, go to school for a degree in Sociology. This way I can work with juveniles or become a better-paid probation officer; having been in the system as a kid myself, I know how frustrating the process is and the lack of understanding, and how I wanted somebody to be realistic with me.

Don't tell me why something is, if the reason is 'just because'. Reason with me, treat me with some intelligence.

After this, not totally sure. I'm semi-serious about going over to Tennessee and becoming a bail bondsman, which would look pretty impressive on a resume. I'll have experience, so none of this 'Oh look, it's the rookie Justine! Ha ha!' to deal with.

Even if I don't actually go out into the field, just having those classes and papers under my belt, would still be helpful. But this is low on my priorities list at the moment.

That would be about it for me. Navigating the system, racking up contacts and connections, learning how the system should work vs how the system does work, will give me the platforms I need to get anywhere else I'd like.

13. Buttermilk

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm currently in high school, so I guess my plans for now are

life/health sci undergrad -> med school -> internal medicine specialization

14. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know many people who went to another state. I did meet a lot of people who moved from small towns to a capital city, but probably the majority of people from Melbourne I know stayed here, and lived with their parents for the first year or more.

15. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm aiming to do a double degree of PPE (politics, philosophy and economics) and law. I've spoken to staff at the university I intend on going to, and I'll be able to fit in languages along with the main degrees to some extent, which really pleased me.

I'm hopeful that I will be accepted based on the current entry score estimates I've been given. I don't think I could dream up 5 better years of undergraduate study than that.

I've changed my mind a few times over the past year about exactly what I want to do, but as applications will open (and close) in a few months, I think this is what I'll have remained settled on by then.

#35 Aussie792, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  16. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I went to school to be a vet tech and finished that about 2 years ago or so. I wouldn't mind going back for business but it just takes so long and I'm not sure I want another giant loan bill to pay off.

17. Solitaire

well I'm studying art right now and in the future I want to work with music :grin:
    difficult and really hard to make that happen but atleast I have been told I got alot of potential :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: