1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are your parents like?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by CrimsonThunder, Aug 21, 2007.

1. AlmightyFluffy

My parents are pretty open minded, in fact, they're almost annoyingly open minded, like at a school play we watched where they had a girl playing as a guy dating a woman, I commented about that and my mom was like,
    "Well, you know there are homosexual men, there are also homosexual women."
    I stared at her with a 'do you actually think I didn't know this?' look. They're like the parents you see on sitcoms, wacky, down to earth, and witty. The amusing thing is, I'm 60% sure they think I'm mildly homophobic.

2. darthmalik14

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    my parents are eccentric not to say the less, my mom has supported me in all of my endeavors and such, but sometimes whem im right out of work, pissed off, and tired and she tries to talk to me. im like frack off and we end up fighting. also i have no idea how the hell shes going to react to the fact that im gay, so im waiting until i graduate and am about to leave for college to tell her.
    and i completely hate my stepfather, homophobic, racist, and cannot speak english or write it even if his life depended on it.
    as for my real father, he lives in colombia and i rearly talk to him, its like once a month or so that i do talk to him. i really dont like my father. he tried to keep me in colombia agaisnt my will so that also plays into the equation

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I was an only child until I was 8, when my sister was born, who obviously took a lot of my mum's time. When I was 11 I started at boarding school for five years. Because of these I was not that close to mum during those years. Dad was never that closely involved with us as kids, though we became somewhat closer when I was in my 20s. So feelings and emotions were never really discussed, and we didn't have that closeness that some families have. This was despite the fact that I had some emotional issues when I was young (I was a victim of bullying and never fitted in at school) which is why I was sent to the "special" boarding school.

I moved out of my parent's home when I was about 25 and came out to my parents a year or so later. Both were surprised and neither had ever even considered the idea. They were of the same generation of many of your grandparents though, and lived in a small fairly conservative area. Neither of them were particularly sociable so they had not encountered a particularly large range of people (it was rare to encounter someone who was not white middle-class).

It took dad some time to accept the situation, but mum accepted surprisingly quickly after some help and support from my sister. My sister has always been closer to mum, partly I think because she was at home during her teens. She still lives in the same area and mum is involved a lot with my sister's kids. Mum loves being a grandmother!

I think the time dad really accepted my situation, and my partner Markie, was when my sister and her husband separated then divorced. Markie and I had been together for as long as they had been married, and Markie then became dad's number one son-in-law!

When dad died in 2002, Markie was with mum, my sister and me in the front row at the funeral, and in the family black car to and from the funeral. Mum simply assumed and accepted that he would be there, as she regards him as a member of the immediate family.

I still speak to mum on the phone regularly (once every 2-3 weeks) but we are still not that close. Most of our conversations are general chat, gossip and updates on her health rather than anything deeper.

What is interesting with threads like this is that they remind me that I am actually around the same age as many of your parents. Yet, probably because I haven't been through the cycle of having kids and seeing them grow up, I don't see any generation gap between me and people who are a generation or more younger or older. Yes, sometimes I wonder what some of our younger members are talking about (especially with music and gaming) but it doesn't make me feel old, just out of touch.

Anyway that last bit was off-topic so I'll shut up now!

4. GuitarGirl1350

My mum is amazing. I got really lucky with her.

5. Torture

Torture Guest

My mom is wicked, probley the best out of the family. She's been there through the ups and downs in my life, she's also insane and says "I'm a man trapped in a girls body!" she's not you're average women I can tell you that much.

My dad and I never got along till probley about last month, he's never been there for me till he went to Alberta to work for a few months to bring in a little extra income as bills are a down fall for my family. That's when it hit him, that he had a son that needs a supporting father in his life, I've always hated him till a few ago. I can't say that I have a perfect or normal family but I can say that I love it here now. I wanted to move when we would always fight (my dad and I), but were slowly climbling in the "father and son" relationship. I'd say by next year it should be all calmed down and settled.

Sorry for the long write up, I'll shut up now.

6. Sam

Sam

My parents are good parents they have their moments when you just want to scream at them but overall they are great. Both my parents know I'm gay and they accept me and they can even joke with me about it while it can get embarrassing at least I know they really accept me. up until a little over a year ago my relationship with them was really bad and now that I can be open with them it has gotten a lot better.

7. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I was an accident and they were not married, so things began really bad, to the point of me being hidden from society for a couple of years when I was a baby.

My dad has been pretty much absent, to the point that I came out and I'm publicly gay and I don't know for sure whether he knows or not. He's very homophobic and we are totally incompatible. He has openly called me a freak because I'm not like he was when he was of my age. When he's with me, he destroys all my dreams one by one. I don't like to be with him. The very few times he comes home, I stay in my room and talk to him as little as possible.

My mom, well, the eternal war. She is extremely nosy and never seems to approve of something I do... she says she's OK with my orientation but she isn't. It's odd. Sometimes she's nice, but most of the time she makes my life hell. We used to have a good relationship but since she is home all day long, we began disliking each other. We are just tired of seeing each other all day long...

8. jman77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    my parents are deff not the best you can get...

my dad is very... protective i guess (im the youngest) everytime i go somewhere i have to call, tell him waht im doing and tell him what i did when i get back. usually the times that i dont do anything bad he interregates me :bang: then when i get back from something that i could of done something or did do something he doesnt care and is like "oh your home thats good" very... weird lol

my mom is not great at all... and i will leave it at that :dry:

they dont get along and are in the middle of getting a divorce but are waiting til i get out of high school in 2 yrs. so its pretty easy to get what i want... lol being the youngest and if one says no i just go to the other and ask or say they said it was ok :icon_bigg

once i was out an entire friday night and my mom thought i was in my room. my dad took me and someone took me home... apparently she thought i was just outside and then in my room... and someone randomly walked in our house at 12 at night? idk lol

9. Revealed

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My parents are pretty cool, I guess. My brother and I lived with mum for the most part because my parents got divorced when I was 4. We moved to Adelaide, and dad kept travelling for work (Air Force Officer so he was never in the same place for too long).

My mum annoys me a bit sometimes. She always says silly things, buys HORRIBLE and UGLY ornaments, and wants to know everything that's going on in my life. But I do appreciate everything she's done for me. She's very caring and generous, but tends to overreact at the smallest things. I found that very hard to deal with over the last fews years, so I moved out. I think she suspects I'm gay because I never brought over any guys other than male friends, and whenever she asked me about dating, I just acted like I wasn't interested in anyone or tried to side-step the issue.

I feel a lot closer to my dad, despite only seeing him twice a year when growing up. We have the same sense of humour, we both like similar things (like the outdoors & excercise), and he's more carefree than mum, which is a relaxing change. I know you're not supposed to have favourites, but I find things alot easier with dad. I suppose it's because he has a different approach to life.

I haven't come out to either of my parents. I know they'd both still love me, and they wouldn't make a big deal out of it. I'd feel more comfortable telling dad first though. My uncle (dad's brother) is gay, so I think dad's a bit more used to it all. But I'm taking my time, and I'll tell them when I'm ready.

10. xequar

I consider myself very lucky to have the parents I do. They're both very young (I'm 25, and my mom is 43, dad 46), and so were really laid back while I was growing up, and they still are. They have no problem with me being gay, and I think I'm actually closer with them since I came out. My dad and I enjoy talking politics and economics quite a bit, and occasionally we'll just sit and have a beer together. My mom and I share recipes, converse about decorating, and some of that other mother/son stuff. Even now that I'm 25, I think my dad would still kill anyone that ever threatened me, and my mom has a sense of intuition about people that I have never seen anyone else come close to. I mean, she knew I was gay when I was 12.

Honestly, I wish a lot of people could have parents as great as mine were and are.

11. Moth

My parents are [insert preferred profanity here]. Psycho-religious, over-restrictive control freaks who try to plan out and dictate my life for me. My dad's not nearly as bad by himself, but he's very, very short-tempered and his worst fault is that he backs up my mom in everything, even if he doesn't agree. Fortunately he's not home much, so I don't have to deal with him too much.

My mom... well, I could go on and on about her. She's selfish, attention-seeking, demanding and lazy and she thinks she's always right no matter what. Her opinion is the only one that counts to her. She tries to pry WAY too far into my life - I can't even talk on the phone for two minutes without her asking who it was, what they wanted, what they said, what I told them... basically she wants me to transcript the conversation for her. She tries to get me to show her my stories, and has even said that I can't write if she can't see it (though she's never followed through with any of that). She expects every one to cater to her every whim and do everything she says. She has never had any deep interest whatsoever in me as a human being. She doesn't care about who I really am, or what I want, or my dreams or ambitions. She's never encouraged me to follow my dreams or be myself (because she wants me to be her). She says I'm her "charge," like I'm not even a person with my own beliefs and ideas and opinions. And worst of all, everything has to be about god with her. She probably can't even imagine that I'm not religious anymore like I pretend to be because I don't want to hear her preach at me constantly. She's constantly downtalking me and ragging on me, and nothing I do is good enough for her. She puts on a good front, feeds and clothes me, but when it comes down to it, she really doesn't give a :***: about who I really am at all. Even if she doesn't directly say it, I can tell she wants me to be feminine, she wants me to get married and have kids and be a perfect, church-going, stay at home poster mom. And the fact that I want pretty much the opposite of all of that makes her look down on me. Like many people, she looks at me like I'm some kind of freak. I've always hated the way she looks at me. Not to mention she tries to shelter me and keep me in a neat little religious bubble, which has always made it extremely difficult for me to be a normal human being and act normal in social situations. The internet is the only thing that's kept me from being unbearably naive, and in truth, in some ways, I'm still a lot more naive than most people my age.

The subtle emotional abuse my mother has subjected me to over the years has left me with permanent psychological problems. The way she's treated me is inexcusable and unforgivable, and I'm going to disown my parents the day I turn eighteen.

On the other hand, there's this lady I've known for several years now who is a (much better) mother figure to me. And I have to say, she's pretty cool. She's fairly open minded (though I'm still torn as to wether or not to come out to her - we've talked about homosexuality and sometimes it seems like she's fine with it, but sometimes she seems to put a bit of a negative slant on it), and sort of has a whatever-floats-your-boat attitude, to a certain extent. She's not afraid to talk to me about a lot of issues, including some pretty deep ones. I know I could probably talk to her about my psychological problems if I wanted to, and she wouldn't judge me. She occasionally asks a little bit, and I give her pretty vague answers... it's obvious that she cares and wants to know because of that, but she gives me space and doesn't get pushy, which makes me feel really comfortable around her. She's pretty straight-forward and she'll speak her mind, tell it like it is, and be a bit blunt sometimes, which I think is actually great and I really like having a person like that in my life. She's given me advice before and I know I could go to her for advice in the future. Any time I need to be brought down to earth or given the realistic side of a situation, she's the one to go to. She's also very sweet and generous, and the coolest part is she has a streak of black humor much like my own, so we get along pretty well. I'll probably be considering her family once I'm eighteen, and for all intents and purposes she'll probably be my mom. I'll probably spend holidays with her and her family and such, and I'm sure she'll call me to see how I'm doing. Even though my biological parents are loathesome, I'm very fortunate to have a mother-figure I can be proud of.

12. MissyJ158

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I luvs me parentables.
    My dad can be a right pain in the ass though, we have huge arguments. Usually stemming from the fact we disagree a lot but are extremely similar personality wise.
    He's such a pessimist and a complete snob too. It's sooo frustrating. He always needs to be impressing people with material shit like his house etc, and is always complaining it's a shit hole but our house is really nice.

My mum is really optimistic and friendly and outgoing though she has a go at everything ^_^ My parents are the complete opposite of each other.

It's funny too because my dad's name means "Dark" and my mum's name means "Light" I think that's awesome. I luv em both ^_^ Scared to come out to them though because of the snobbery and Brittishness of my father, my mum would speak of me in an annoying manner too so I haven't bothered yet.

They think they know what I'm up to because of the way they acted when they were teens. They think me and my sister get up to so much shit and they tell us all these stories of what they did like doing drugs, breaking into someone's house, having sex in panel vans *TOO MUCH INFO* they were shits. Me and my sister are so well behaved compared to them but they don't believe us lol.

13. total mo

total mo Guest

6 words
    totally cool with me being gay

14. Zec24

My parents are great parents, but they are young still as they had me when they were 17. When I came out to them (its been about a year now), they didn't initially believe me, but said they loved me anyway. They also said they thought I was making a choice and that it was the wrong one, but that they can't make my decisions for me. I'm not sure of their stance on it as of now. I haven't talked to them about this since Christmas, we pretty much just leave the topic alone. My sister tells me that my mother thinks my best friend and I are more than best friends, which is funny because my bf is engaged to a guy. Anyway, I know I'll always have my parent's love and support although I may not have their complete understanding.

15. ethene

ok lets say my parents are definitely not cool.

they did never really match each other so ii have no idea why did they get married. no wonder why are they separated now. my father moved out when i was 6 i think and he'd been living just not that far from us, about 5 minutes. some 2 years ago he quit his job and found a new one in a neighbouring country. we are in contact calling each other every 2-3 days, and sometimes when theres no school i visit him. he's got a bad temper which will always make him yell, he's a dork and will always think he's better than other people. we dont really talk about any father/son stuff. well he sometimes asks if i like any girl in my year i always mutter yes there are some and he smiles in stupid way. of course he has no idea that i am gay.
    my mother... well shes a religious, attention seeking freak. her catchphrase is "if i had to choose between myself and god i'd choose god". she always takes me to church, and she always makes me and my sister pray with her each evevning. if i ask why do we have to do it together he quotes something like 'where 2 or 3 gather there is jesus among them' or something, we are family and so on. she likes controlling every single aspect of my life. if i talk on the phone and she later asks who was i talking to and i say it's my business she accuses me of shooting my mouth off. she didnt let me have the computer in my room and she arranged it in the corridor she also dont let me have my own account :eek: and always after i use the computer she always check the history and cookies, she thinks she's more clever than i am. when i watch mtv and there are some video clips with at least a bit of nudity she asks what is the age limit for this! yes an age limit for mtv, sad but true. she checks my mail very often and is even not trying to hide that. she seems to be a good friend with my head teacher and always asks her how do i behave. im really fed up with her. of course she has no idea i am gay, if she knew she would either make me go to a psychiatrist or exorcist. or simply throw me out of the house. although she often states she loves me and will love me always whatever i am like, i think that breaking to her the news that im gay would cause a rapid change of feelings. she wouldnt enjoy living with a son who is "very poor, mentally ill and sinful person, for who she should pray" as she once described gay people. id prefer living with my dad, he is not that controlling and would let me do much more than her, but i think he also wouldnt accept me.

:eusa_doh: wish i had parents like some of you guys! :tantrum: