1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you thinking?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mirko, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish I was happier, but at least I know that this sadness is the kind that will pass. Earlier today I was crying. I've been so lonely recently. Sometimes I wake up in the night and wish that there was someone who could give me a hug. A person who could tell me that it's all OK. I know that there's no quick fix to this. Still, it will pass. I hope that in my second year I'll feel better.

2. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh the joys of bureaucracy. I get an email from a State of Michigan recruiter saying that my applications for the CPS jobs have been screened out because I technically don't have my bachelor's degree yet, but she'll manually push them through. The posting specifically said you can apply if you are within 30 days of your application. She says that if I can get a letter from the registrar saying that I'll be graduating this semester that they'll grant you an interview based on that. Funny that I uploaded an enrollment verification certificate with my application which is signed by the registrar that has my graduation date listed as 4/27/19. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

3. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nothing quite screams "hypocrisy" like a so-called "pro-life" politician advocating for the death penalty for women who get abortions even if it means saving the mother's life. America's Religious Right, ladies, gentlemen, and everyone in between.

#7043 ThatBorussenGuy, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  4. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow...so much for pro-life. And yet, they want nothing to do with the child when they're born, ya know, "as long as they save them."
    [​IMG]

5. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This George Carlin bit is every bit as relevant today as it was when he did that HBO special in 1996. Pro-life is anti-woman.

#7045 AwesomGaytheist, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  6. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pro-life doesn't mean keeping everyone alive in all circumstances, which appears to be what a lot of people erroneously think it means...

It means pro the right for everyone to have a fair chance to experience life. The right to be born so you're given a chance to survive in life. The key word being "chance" not guarantee.

It doesn't mean you have the right to stay alive in all circumstances (in the case of the death penalty) or that you'll be given free food and housing to not starve to death if you can't take care of your own needs (in the case of welfare). It just means you are given the ability to live and the ability to fight for your own survival after you're born. That's it.

7. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Except that argument doesn't work in the case of the individuals who refuse to even consider abortion in situations where a mother's life is at risk. It'd make a lot more sense for an adult woman being given a fair chance to experience life further than for the potential for a fetus to survive and experience life.

It works for the individuals who are pro-life but willing to be flexible on abortion specifics, though.

8. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have that video on my computer. It's funny as hell.

You mean like the mother who may be 15, 16 years old and is pregnant because her father raped her, and now she either has to get an abortion or lose her life? If you're really sticking up for these right-wing lunatics, we have nothing else to discuss.

9. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From what I've heard from people who believe that, their general thoughts are that it's a mother's responsibility to protect their child so even if it's harmful to them, they should still go through with the birth to protect the child. Also that even if the mother dies they already got to experience life and had less future years to live than the child, while the child hasn't experienced anything yet, so the child's life outranks the mother's.

I disagree with them about those things though and am in the flexible on abortion specifics category.

That's obviously terrible for the mother, however none of that is the child's fault so it doesn't really deserve to have its life taken away just because it has an inconvenient father (assuming the birth wouldn't be life-threatening for the mother, if it would be a dangerous birth then I'd be ok with the abortion) . The mother can give it up for adoption if she doesn't want to be reminded of who the father is all the time.

I was born 3 months premature back when it was only like a 10% chance someone would survive being born that premature (it's about 70% now thanks to new medical breakthroughs). When they realized that would happen earlier on in the pregnancy, literally every single doctor told my parents I would die less than a day after birth, and if I somehow survived I'd have severe disabilities making my quality of life terrible anyway. They suggested an abortion to just save everyone involved the heartache of dealing with it.

My parents said no clearly, and here I am, born perfectly fine with no disabilities whatsoever. If they had agreed to an abortion I would never have existed. I can't support abortion outside of medical emergencies because it would be essentially taking away their chance to live that I was given against all odds. I just can't morally support killing someone exactly like me.

10. Joeri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have just recently realised I have sort of feelings for a certain guy... thankfully just platonic. he apparently likes me, but with his bitter and quite offensive sense of humour I don't think I can expect him to treat me seriously.

life is unfair sometimes.

11. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wish I did more today.

12. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    America has gotten to the point where I look at this country and realize it's beyond redemption. I don't think there's any hope of saving this damn country. I can't find anything good in it, anymore. I used to think we were making strides in the right direction, but it ended up being one step forward and fifty steps back. Fuck it. Let this country burn. Over half the country is fine with America going up in flames, as long as it means they get to shit all over minorities.

13. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe I'm just jealous because I'm piss broke, but Conservatives/ the Conservative Government piss me off.

"What's the big deal? Online classes will get them ready for uni/college. I'm fine and we had 30 kids per class. And why shouldn't they have to pay more for school? Its already 80% covered by taxes and if they didn't chose a unless degree, they'll make enough money soon enough"

In highschool you're still a kid. You know how many kids had to get their arms twisted to hand shit in on time with a teacher right in front of them? How well do you think they're going to hand shit in and actually learn the material by themselves (and not the night before?)? God forbid things improve from 40 years ago when you were in school and imagine not having to wait 20 minutes for a teacher to help you. Even with inflation, school is a shit ton more expensive than 40 years ago.

Scheer better not get in, I can't handle a double conservative government.

14. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel this. My university finds ways to get more money out of people for absolutely nothing. The majority of our business classes are online these days, where each class has 500+ students in it, and they add a "distance learning surcharge" which makes online classes more expensive than regular classes (how can teaching 500 people online possibly be more expensive than using classroom space for 500 people?) and since there aren't any in person classes for a lot of required classes you're forced to pay the extra for "distance learning" classes despite living 2 minutes from the campus anyway. At least your fees are 80% covered by taxes... here in the U.S. everyone pays 100% themselves or with loans if they can't get scholarships.

15. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ugh, reading about a parent online looking to "cure" his questioning daughter and dozens of others chiming in, "take away her electronics!" and after hearing that she's suicidal, "take her to therapy!" They're in the deep south, so I'm not sure things are going to get better any time soon

16. smurf

Support the right of the kid to live, but fuck your "welfare" that you will need as a minimum wage single mother. Should have thought about that before having kids and not graduating high school!

This is insane and it doesn't work. We literally have so much research on how this feeds into the cycle of poverty.

Not only that, but the party trying to ban abortions are the same people who don't want health insurance to cover birth control, against sexual education for teenagers, and they are also against giving young mothers money so their kids don't starve to death. Phew lol

And that is cool. You certainly don't have to morally support it. But you also don't get to make it illegal for women who get to make a decision for themselves.

Thank goodness for the constitution so we don't create laws that make everyone in the country have to follow the morality of some people.

17. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not trying to go too deep into it in this thread, but that's another issue. It's wrong that abortion is unilaterally the mother's decision and the father is just supposed to sit back and watch his child die against his will. Both parents should have to consent to it for anything to happen, with an exception for fathers who aren't around anymore to ask them etc.

The one that starts with "Endowed, by their Creator, with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness" ?

I don't understand why people mention the constitution as a pro-abortion argument when the preamble literally starts with "right to life" which is the opposite of the pro-abortion argument.

#7057 Destin, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  18. smurf

Roe v Wade is the reason why people bring it up.

Its also one of the only the reason many people voted for Trump so he could appoint republican judges in hopes to overturn Roe v Wade and marriage equality.

Its also the same reason why republican bills trying to ban it keep being repealed all over the united states. Its a matter of law at this point in time.

Those are hard decisions to make. O

That being said, you still have a lot states in the US allowing rapist to retain parental rights over their kids. Until the GOP focus on those issues and adds paid parental leave (the one thing Ivanka Trump hasn't completely fucked up) into federal law, then to me that's a poor excuse to make abortion illegal.

Else you will have a rapist preventing a person from getting an abortion because some backwards state decided to give him parental rights.

19. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I disagree. There is too much risk that a man will refuse to let the woman have an abortion for all the wrong reasons. For example: using it as a way of controlling the woman. Perhaps they are married, but its now clear that the relationship is not a good one, but the man decides to use the pregnancy to try to force his wife to stay in the marriage. Or perhaps they are just dating, the relationship is not healthy, and the man decides to try to use the pregnancy as a way of forcing a marriage. Or perhaps the fetus will not realistically live once born, but the man insists on the pregnancy continuing, because he is too emotionally involved in the idea of being father.

Here's a better idea: let couples first decide if they want a baby before the pregnancy. That way, both have a say in the matter. If the woman is happy to have a baby, she won't likely have an abortion when pregnant, unless there is some hugely compelling reason.

20. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My mom's birthday is coming very shortly, and unless than a month after that is mother's day. At least Easter will distract me. Dreading the second all the Mother's day commercials start. Pumped for all the "firsts" (and probably seconds and thirds) to be over.