1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you thinking?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BradThePug, Jan 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have to get up ridiculously early for a uni applicant day tomorrow, so...

...now is not the time to be hyper.

2. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    On one hand, I can sympathize, since misogyny and sexism is pretty ingrained in our culture, and some trans men might feel extra pressure to conform to a masculine ideal early on, but on the other... there are plenty who are the opposite, so the whole "I can't help it" excuse immediately flies out the window.

Then there's the herd mentality among guys, that somehow makes otherwise reasonable and caring people to put on a mask and seemingly become someone else. I'm not sure how and if trans men in groups are like a lot of cis men, but if they are, then it would explain a lot.

We don't have any bisexual groups here that I'm aware of, and our trans group is pretty much a mix of everything under the transgender umbrella and quite small, if growing steadily in the past few years, so you get a little of everything. :eusa_doh:

3. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm still terrified to post a silly Seventeen quiz where I got a girl for who's my crush! Why the heck are we like this 2014? I posted it anyway. :slight_smile:

4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, which is true. Lot of transguys I know, otherwise decent guys but there's this worry that if you're too 'nice' or liberal, or hell, not a misogynist, then you're not a real guy.

Which I wanna avoid as much as possible. I'm a liberal as hell equalist.

But yeah. When I'm in a group of transguys, it's really not so different from being around cismen. Maybe biggest difference is that some of the transguys also went to Girl Scouts. And cismen... I dunno. It's like there's less pressure to be a stereotype.

I wanted to join the GSA, actually, but never got around. Actually thinking about starting a trans group.

5. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    *shrugs* I've been wanting to ask for a while, but didn't want to sound too invasive: do you think you've changed since your realization and step towards transition? Obviously, someone raised around and expected to emulate others of one sex slowly shifting to the "opposite" would affect the attitudes, perceptions, etc. of most people.

And I totally get that, it's one of the things I've always envied women for not having to deal with. Old habits are hard to break.

I do like trans guys openly talk about feeling closer to their true selves, or being accepted, but also see them struggling with areas that anyone raised to be a male does, so it's bittersweet, in a way. They're learning what I'm unlearning. :confused:

6. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I should buy a beard trimmer over break. Ugh...I look ratchet,

7. Sitri

I can't believe they're actually doing it... I thought they were joking... but they are going through all the official channels...

My friends are starting a SuperPAC... what even...

8. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Changed? Little bit, I guess. Definitely feel like I'm more self aware, little more lax. I used to be a huge social justice feminist warrior- now it's more low key. And politically, more centered as opposed to far left. I guess now I have more of a sense of self, if that makes sense.

Yeah. All learning to be men. To be fair, I didn't know how to be a woman either. :lol: But there's so much that goes into gender that you don't think of until you have to. Mannerisms, expectations, speech- stupid little things but they make a huge difference on one's cultural perception of you.

-

Finally got debit card. I almost don't care it's got my stupid legal name splayed over it.

9. Jonathan

Really? Three ranked games in a row I have a teammate leave in the middle of the game so we lose and now I've been demoted :dry:

10. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Turn down for what!

11. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was being productive until I googled "Raptor Jesus" and decided to make one of my own artworks of this.... um.... spectacular thing.

12. BlueAndWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wondering why an extremely attractive guy moved behind Jeremy Clarkson in the Star in a Reasonably Priced car segment of Top Gear Season 21 episode 4... I don't want to see Jezza, I want to see the hot guy!

13. justjade

I dunno.... Instead of painting my bike hot pink like I had originally intended, I might actually use some of the Rust-Oleum stone texture spray paint. It's rust resistant....and ugly. Evidently, thieves don't like ugly bikes or personalized bikes, so that's a win-win. I could use truck bed liner. That could be cool. Agh.... Why am I agonizing over this? My color is clearly lemon chiffon.

Nope, changed my mind. Not doing the lemon chiffon.

14. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, too recognizable. If it's a generic red bike, who's going to notice? That rainbow one with polka dots? Probably.

15. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :wow:

16. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    God damn it, mum, it's not acceptable to laugh at me for correctly pronouncing foreign words, especially names.

17. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Apparently, the swim team at my school sometimes practices until 9:00/21:00. :eusa_clap
    They start practice straight after school. What dedication. I'm not sure whether to be in awe or be intimidated.

(What can I say? I like military time.) There should be a military time meme with dancing soldiers.
    War is a horrible thing and a necessary evil, but even it has Funny Moments (TM). Humor can be used to cope with awful things.

#3257 An Gentleman, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  18. Hiems

Sometimes correct pronunciation of words actually sounds annoying. For instance, my humanities professor correctly pronounces the country "Vietnam" with emphasis on the "nam" so that it sounds like the verb "am". But many non-Viet folks do not pronounce it in that correct way. However, I don't mind because the incorrect way assaults the ears less.

So precise pronunciation can be annoying, or in your case, cause people to laugh :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Confronted a friend about her behavior, and she has barely talked with us since.

20. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if they forgot to send us a mass email blast before testing the campus outdoor emergency alert system, or just didn't bother to on purpose. So I was walking across campus when blasting from the rooftops came "Attention! Attention! There is an armed shooter on campus! Seek shelter immediately!"

I went sprinting into the administration building and ducked into a bathroom and locked the door and proceeded to call the campus safety phone number, only to be informed that it's a test and they just picked the wrong message by mistake. It was supposed to give the "This is a test" message instead of the whole "We're being shot up" message and that there was nothing to worry about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.