1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by girlsnotgrey, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Theo Weiss

Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler

Reading it purely for the historical value, I'm kind of a history nut and I figured I'd branch out a bit and start reading up topics like WWII. It's quite an interesting read personally.

2. imfactionless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am currently reading Silver Shadows by Richelle Mead

3. crystalgem

Out Status:
    A few people
    How to Save a Life by Sara Zarr...it's pretty good!

4. gabroxs20

I only really have time to read the books that we read in school. So I just finished "the color purple" by Alice walker, and I'm about to read "Macbeth" by Shakespeare.

5. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

Terraformars
    One of my guilty pleasures in manga because it's so laughably sexist and relies on so many cliches and tired tropes, but it's sooo entertaining. The art-style is ridiculously detailed (my fetish), the action never disappoints and the sheer eccentricity of the premise makes it very hard for me stay mad (or bored) at it. It's one of those thing you read mostly for it's potential, hoping at every turn that it will ditch the baggage holding it back from achieving greatness.

6. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
    And they keep getting slower, and slower...not to discourage you or anything. :icon_bigg

7. AlexKnight

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The last non-manga book I read was Animal Farm by George Orwell. It was so messed up, and I loved it. Once AP tests are out of the way I'll probably read 1984.

8. RiverMalfoy

Out Status:
    All but family
    Cinder by Marissa Meyer

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thomas Mann's Buddenbrooks. Each step in the disintegration of the eponymous family feels like glass reverting to sand in the hands of the successive patriarchs. It's beautifully written.

10. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A few days ago, I finally finished "The Arts of Asia", a very thorough book on all types of Asian art styles, cleverly organized by material (paper, wood, stone, etc.). It makes me very eager to make my own art based on wha I've learned.

11. UnderTheRainbow

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Currently reading: Pet Semmatry by Steven King
    Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe
    Bag of Bones by Steven King
    Dr Sleep(I think that is what it is called) by Steven King.

12. Malkai

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The Beating of His Wings by Paul Hoffman, it's the final book of the trilogy.

13. trichobezoar

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm reading a depressing and very enlightening book, The Snowden Files: The Inside Story of the World's Most Wanted Man. I'm on chapter 14--the last chapter. According to Edward Snowden (who was a CIA contractor), we're living in a Brave New World where every digital conversation (e.g., over phones, online) is recorded, analyzed and stored indefinitely. I highly recommend this book. It's about illegal surveillance on a global scale.

In my opinion, it's better to be aware than in the dark about such dark matters.

14. trichobezoar

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: "...we're living in a Brave New World where every digital conversation (e.g., over phones, online) is recorded, analyzed and stored indefinitely."

Actually, there's controversy over how the messages and conversations are analyzed and whether they're stored indefinitely or not, but the fact that information is being gathered on us daily (via Facebook, Google, Yahoo, Apple, Internet Service Providers, etc.) is cause for much, much concern.

15. StartANewLifE

It by Stephen King

16. Rainbow Girl

Frost Bite by Richelle Mead. It's the second book in the Vampire Academy series.

17. trichobezoar

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was going to read The Maze Runner next, but then I glanced at The Young Elites, a novel by Marie Lu. Afterwards I read some rave reviews and decided to read that next! I'm currently on... *looking* chapter one. Here's a summary:

"From the New York Times bestselling author of the Legend series

I am tired of being used, hurt, and cast aside.

Adelina Amouteru is a survivor of the blood fever. A decade ago, the deadly illness swept through her nation. Most of the infected perished, while many of the children who survived were left with strange markings. Adelina’s black hair turned silver, her lashes went pale, and now she has only a jagged scar where her left eye once was. Her cruel father believes she is a malfetto, an abomination, ruining their family’s good name and standing in the way of their fortune. But some of the fever’s survivors are rumored to possess more than just scars—they are believed to have mysterious and powerful gifts, and though their identities remain secret, they have come to be called the Young Elites.

Teren Santoro works for the king. As Leader of the Inquisition Axis, it is his job to seek out the Young Elites, to destroy them before they destroy the nation. He believes the Young Elites to be dangerous and vengeful, but it’s Teren who may possess the darkest secret of all.

Enzo Valenciano is a member of the Dagger Society. This secret sect of Young Elites seeks out others like them before the Inquisition Axis can. But when the Daggers find Adelina, they discover someone with powers like they’ve never seen."

Source: Amazon.com

18. LesbianAngel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I am currently reading more book then I can handle but I am reading:

Grays Anatomy the 28th edition by Henry Gray and H. Van Dyke Carter (I am trading to be a doctor and only in the 8th grade)

Darkly Dreaming Dexter (along with all the other books in the series) by Jeff Lindsay (I love the show)

Deep Blue by Jennifer Donnelly (I love mermaids)

Mermaids: The Myths, Legends, and Lore by Skye Alexander (I really love mermaids)

19. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The opposite of loneliness by Marina Keegan

20. Spacewalker

Im reading "Im Reich der Königin von Saba" by Carmen Rohrbach.
    It's about her journey through Jemen. Very well written, very nice flow.
    She portrays the magic of this country so well. Just awesome to read :slight_smile: