1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Were your friends uncomfortable after you came out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by callistia, Mar 20, 2018.

1. callistia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sorry if this question has already been asked before, but were any of your friends uncomfortable after you came out? If so, how did you handle that?

I'm planning on coming out to at least a few of my friends soon. I have three friends who I'm pretty sure will be supportive. I don't really know how my three other friends will act. I'm pretty close with those six friends and we're all pretty comfortable around each other. Currently, the only attraction I feel toward them is platonic. However, I was still wondering if it was likely that they might feel uncomfortable being around me or might not feel as close to me now that there's a possibility of me being romantically/sexually attracted to them (since all of the friends I mentioned are girls). I want to be more open and honest with my friends, so I'm still going to come out to them, but I just want to be as prepared as possible.

I'm sorry if I wasn't that clear on my question and/or explanation. Just ask if you need clarification or more information on anything.

2. 21zephyr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was more uncomfortable then they were! Friends are supportive and want what’s best for us! Mine had a few questions and were interested in knowing a gay man. I have a couple of younger family friends (college aged) and they have been the most supportive. Even though they are straight, they have gay friends. They are always sending me ideas for finding companionship and several times a week they just send a note to say hi.

In a nutshell, I thought my friends would treat me differently or they would abandon me; it was actually the opposite. They are supportive, they keep in better touch and they tell me they love me on a regular basis. I told the guys not to worry I wouldn’t hit on them... we actually had a humorous conversation and they said not to worry, they were comfortable around me and didn’t want our relationship to change!! Friends can be so supportive!!!

closeted13, callistia and Destin like this.
  3. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've told three friends and they were cool with it, not uncomfortable at all. They are really chill people anyway though. One of them even asked me some questions about how it feels to sleep with a guy, I don't think he is gay though he was just curious.

They were all really supportive and happy I trusted them enough to share it with them too.

closeted13, callistia and 21zephyr like this.
  4. callistia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the response, zephyr! I’m glad to hear that your experience went well, despite what you had initially predicted. My friends and I have been supportive of each other with other things in our lives, so I’m hoping this situation will be the same. You definitely have a good point about friends wanting what’s best for us.

Thank you for responding, Destin! I’m glad that your friends were supportive of you and not uncomfortable. I’m hoping that my friends will take the approach that yours did with being happy that I trusted them rather than being disappointed or angry that I waited until now to tell them that I’m a lesbian.

Destin likes this.
  5. LunaMare

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This was also a big fear of mine but honestly, it turned out completely unnecessary!!! No one has treated me any different and like 21zephyr said, I think I felt more uncomfortable than my friends. I'm actually a lot closer to some of my friends because I'm finally open and honest and I let people know what's going on in my (love) life which they appreciate after years of silence. Plus when I opened up about my feelings and troubles, they felt like they could tell me what they have been struggling with.

Destin and callistia like this.
  6. callistia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the response, LunaMare! It’s good to hear that your friends were supportive and even became closer to you after you came out. I think it’s great that your opening up encouraged your friends to open up to you a bit more about their lives. I had originally thought that maybe a realistic expectation was to either have our relationship stay the same or maybe make my friends more uncomfortable, but it’s pretty reassuring to hear from both you and 21zephyr that the relationship between you and your friends grew stronger.

LunaMare likes this.
  7. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, none of them were. I've never met anyone who had a bad reaction.

callistia likes this.
  8. callistia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for responding, Creativemind! I’m glad to hear that none of your friends were uncomfortable or had a bad reaction when you came out.

9. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think anyone really was, which is kind of remarkable given that I came out over 25 years ago when being out wasn't so nearly common. A lot of people were very curious in a way that I suspect would make some people uncomfortable, but I always just took it as them really wanting to understand.

Destin and callistia like this.
  10. callistia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the response, OGS! It’s wonderful that the people you came out to weren’t uncomfortable, especially more than 25 years ago. I can understand people being curious and asking questions. I figured that I might have been overthinking this a bit too much, but I do like to be prepared as much as I possibly can, especially since I tend to get really nervous and freeze up when I’m being more open and sharing something that could change people’s perceptions of me.

#10 callistia, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  11. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One of my friends who moved hours away texted me saying it didn't did change anything, but I think she might be uncomfortable if I brought up gay things or made out with a guy. Just based on the way she's handled conversations. Less about her being a terrible person and more so about her needing time to get used to it.

Besides that, which may not even count, everybody has been super cool with it. Often my friends/brother say I can invite my bf along with us or ask hows he's doing :slight_smile:

callistia likes this.
  12. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My best friend is Amish, can talk about anything except being LGBTQ. Friends from school, well they mostly just turned out to be pricks. Just feeling a bit lonely and sad right now. You all have been better friends than most people in my life.

callistia likes this.
  13. Naters2000

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, one was and it was really hurtful. He though that gay = attracted to every guy ever.

Everyone else though has been awesome.

#13 Naters2000, Mar 26, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    Richard321 and callistia like this.
  14. callistia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for responding, HM03! You definitely bring up a good point that some people need time to get used to whatever you're sharing with them, including sexual orientation. I'm glad that most people were really accepting and have been asking about your boyfriend and including him. :grinning:

Thanks for sharing your experience, johndeere3020! I'm really sorry that you had bad coming out experiences to your friends and that you don't have the best people in your life right now. There are several people out there who will accept and appreciate all of the many, wonderful parts of you, and I hope that you find those people soon.

Thanks for the response, Naters2000! I'm sorry that your friend was uncomfortable. It really sucks when people think that being attracted to the same gender means you must automatically be attracted to everyone of that gender (especially if they think that, therefore, you must be attracted to them). I'm slightly worried that some of my friends might think that way, but I guess I just have to hope that the majority of them won't. I'm glad that everyone else you've come out to has been great, though! :grin:

15. Naters2000

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you! And don’t worry, people tend to be really accepting. I got so many hugs after coming out, it was great.

callistia likes this.
  16. 21zephyr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It’s funny sometimes who ends up being your support when you come out. This site has been the best support for me!!! I have two straight family friends who are younger than I am, but they have been so encouraging to me. They even want to take me to a gay bar even though they could pass as my sons! Nothing wrong with having us as your support until you meet someone in person to share your story.

By the was, your John Deere 3020 is one of my favorite tractors!!!!

callistia likes this.
  17. callistia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the reassurance! I'm glad that the large majority of your coming out experiences have been positive. I hope that trend continues for any future times that you come out.

Naters2000 likes this.
  18. yellow6358

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I came out to a girl that used to be my best friend. I’ll call her S. We had been really close, but drifted apart after going to different high schools. Still, after discovering I was gay I still felt she was the only person I could really talk to, and we hadn’t talked for a couple of years. After I came out to S, she was surprised. I mean, all we had ever talked about were boys so I was pretty convincingly straight. When I first started questioning my sexuality, S and I were still friends. At that time, I fell for a girl (E) we were both friends with. I had told S at the time that I “liked someone I wasn’t supposed to like” referring to E. So, after coming out to S, she thought that when I said this years ago I was talking about her and not E. This is natural. Most people when they see a guy and a girl as friends, they assume it’s something more. Your friends are probably going to at least think about whether you’ve liked them romantically or not. It’s inevitable. However, it probably won’t be as big of a deal as you think. As long as you’re not flirting with them or anything, you’ll be good. You said they will probably accept you, so go off of that. They’re going to be more worried about making sure you’re comfortable rather than thinking about themselves. Good luck I’m rooting for you

callistia likes this.
  19. callistia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for sharing your experience with your friend, yellow6358! You have a good point about my friends at least considering that I might have been romantically attracted to them, but (hopefully) still being accepting. Thank you very much for all of the advice you gave me. I really appreciate it!

20. Mali Mali

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The female friends I have told have been supportive :slight_smile: But they have all been in relationships (with men) when I told them. I don't know if they would have thought I was hitting on them if they had been single, but probably not.

Every time I have come out to someone, I have explained my situation a little to them. How out am I? Why did it take me a while to tell them? Etc. Just some stuff I would like them to know. I think that when you take charge and explain your situation to them, they are going to empathize better with you and the chance of them thinking you are into them diminishes greatly. Of course that is just my theory.

I hope I explained myself well enough :slight_smile: