1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Were you homophobic before you were LGBT+?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Guff, Aug 9, 2016.

1. inuMomo

Never been homophobic nor transphobic, though I was a little more transphobic than I used to be a few months after starting to see myself as trans x.x

I feel soooooo bad for the things I've thought of my gf... I guess I wasn't homo/transphobic before being whatever the heck my orientation is now. Happy that I'm not homophobic nor transphobic, unlike my family. This is one of the few reasons why I'm happy I'm trans, I don't hate people and have more respect towards anybody, unlike my family.

Hey family might want to have more respect towards people, thank you.

2. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I envied them.

3. Guff

I wish I could educate my younger self so badly on matter.

4. BookWriter1994

I never was homophobic. I always believed that people should be with who they want. No one really told me that it was wrong(but my ex-friend did when I came out to her) my parents may be against it but they are willing to accept me. My brother may be against it but it doesn't bother him. They didn't shoved down the whole being a lesbian is wrong and you should like men down my throat or stuff like that.

5. BelieveinLove94

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Unfortunately yes. It had nothing to do with the LGBTQ+ Community though, it had to do with me having hatred for myself.I grew up in a small, religious, conservative town in a state where legally, you could be fired for being LGBTQ+. My mom and dad actually didn't tell me my dad had a brother until I was seventeen because my dad didn't like that his brother was gay. My mom and dad are more accepting of the LGBTQ+ community now. My stepdad though, he hates gay people. He talks about how they have a mental illness and how they are sick. I heard him say this stuff when I was thirteen, right around the time I realized I was a lesbian. One day I came home from school and heard him talk like that, that's when I told myself I wasn't gay, I couldn't be gay. I dated guys and prayed to God to make me straight. I stayed away from anything having to do with gay people. I wouldn't be friends with anyone who was gay. Then my senior year of high school happened.I'm still a Christian and I believe God did this to make me not be homophobic and to accept myself. I was put in a creative writing class where about ninety percent of the class were either lesbians, gays, or bisexuals. Looking back, I hate how I acted. I became super religious that year and I wouldn't even think of speaking to anyone in that class. Which was a shame because they were nice people. This past year I've finally accepted I'm a lesbian. I got back in touch with those people that were in my creative writing class and apologized. One girl actually said to me, "I knew you were struggling. That's why I kept talking to you. I understand though, it was your way of dealing with it at the time." Now I've made some great friendships with those people. I still look back and am ashamed with how I acted but I just hated myself so much. Now I'm gay, I believe God loves me, and I'm happier and a better friend than ever before.

6. BirthLifeDeath

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was little my mother always said "its okay to be gay, its not their choice and it is what makes them happy" whenever she was homosexuals on tv. So of course I thought gays were alright, I didn't really care.

Then, when I was 7, I fell in lust with a girl. I didn't want to believe it. I still didn't "hate" gays but I didn't want to be gay.

At age 12 I finally accepted that I liked this girl (yep, I liked her for years). I still hated it though. I wanted to be "normal". I started acting homophobic because even though I accepted that I liked this girl, I didn't accept the fact that I could be gay or bi.

Now I couldn't be happier with who I am :grin:

7. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe?? I'm not sure. It wasn't something I really thought about when I was little. I just didn't really think about it until I was around eleven or twelve.

8. FuelsMySong

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So there was this one time in seventh grade where there was this effeminate guy. My straight friend was like "he's so nice!" and my response was "but doesn't he seem gay?" and she replied with "so?" and I just laughed. It's as if I felt that him being gay made him less likable.

Wow, that was horrible.

9. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
  10. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh wait, I did once all this effeminate guy a girl. Geez.

---------- Post added 10th Aug 2016 at 02:48 PM ----------

I meant call.

11. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've never been the type of person to get all up in someone's face about things. Before I realized I was gay, I thought it was "slightly weird". But I've never been hateful to anybody for their sexuality and hopefully not too much in general either.

12. AKTodd

13. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had my moments. I definitely used "gay" as an insult, like everyone else did back in school, but got away from it as I got older. And I'm not talking about people necessarily, we called anything we didn't like "gay." Other than that, not really.

14. toshytoscream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No I wasn't. I think it's fairly common though.

15. CassieMaes

I wasn't homophobic or transphobic despite going to a church of England primary school- homosexualitly wasn't even mentioned at all. To be honest I hadn't even heard of the LGBTQ+ community until some time last year. Although I did know about people being gay I didn't know anything about transgender or agender or asexual or pansexual or anything like that.

16. Anime Max

I became very... confused... after I turned 8 to right before my 12th birthday. There were kids getting beat up at school for being gay(it was a K-8 school), my friends threw stones at gays downtown, and people close to me said that I'd "be next" if I wasn't "normal" (straight and proud of my biological sex).

All I needed was to rid myself of those people and find people who would accept me for me. I feel awful for ever feeling that way about people... If only I'd been stronger back then and didn't yearn for popularity. "Never change for anyone and find people who will accept you," is what I'd tell anyone who's in that kind of situation.

17. L0ser

I was pretty neutral towards LGBT stuff, mostly because no one talked about it ever. Once I met some people who were gay/trans/etc. though I was pretty positive towards LGBT people, but I still found it a tad strange until I started questioning

18. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Kind of but not really. I was raised in a homophobic religion and my (former) opinion on gayness and gay people was affected by that religion until I was old enough to actually think for myself, but I wasn't the type to be all overtly "ew, gay people" if I saw them kiss or hold hands or whatever, and I was never the type to fixate on it. I didn't care, because I'm no fan of straight romances either (or any kind of romance) and those bugged me, too, as a kid/teenager.

Not sure how to explain it, but there you go. I was but I wasn't. I was a kid affected by the homophobic attitudes of his former religion. I know. Shocker, right?

19. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't say I was homophobic, but when I was younger a lot of people used "gay" as an insult and made mean jokes about gay people, so I just went along with it.

20. MusicNotes

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would have been and I likely would be denying who I am today if I hadn't been exposed to it on a children's website. It helped me learn what it is and get broader views on it since if I'd had asked my parents they'd give me the homophobic Christian fueled answer

I never knew what it was so no the moment I learned the word I was confused the more I saw it talked about I was fine with it. Though I always wonder what I'd be like if I hadn't snuck on that Website if my Parenfs were stricter with how I used the Internet when I was younger... I'd have been a much different person