1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We're back!

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Martin, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wassupski peeps,

The new forum structure is now set up, and the vast majority of things should be running fine. :slight_smile:

One thing to be aware of is that the usage of thread prefixes in the 'Anonymous Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Support' forum has pushed the thread title box over a bit, causing it to slightly appear over the anonymous box. It is still able to be ticked and unticked, but it's something we'll aim to get fixed ASAP. :slight_smile:

If you notice any more errors then please post letting me know. If you spot any recent threads in the wrong section then please report it or post in Ask The Staff. However, please don't go overboard with this as threads are still being moved around now that the forum is live.

Hope y'all enjoy the new forum structure and that it makes everything easier for you all. Tis a massive relief knowing nearly a years worth of consultations has produced a neat end result. :grin:

Please see this thread for an overview of the changes: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/empty...97-important-changes-ecs-forum-structure.html

Thanks for your patience during the downtime.

Martin.

PS. The final screenshot of old-school EC:
    [​IMG]

2. MerBear

i like it although it feels weird

3. Fiddledeedee

More than a year, Martin -- I remember that a survey about restructuring was closing just as I joined. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Thanks for all your hard work, and I look forward to learning my way around!

4. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

I am really not liking the new layout..just to be honest.
    - Maybe cause I am not use to it...??

5. Capichino

New forum layout

Just wanted to say LOVE the new layout I like how there is so many different places to post so just wanted to say AWESOME :thumbsup:

6. Ticklish Fish

Re: New forum layout

I don't really care about new layout since I only use the "New Posts" tab

7. It looks far more organised.
    Great job guys!

8. Ticklish Fish

Damn, Martin has 5624 Private messages

9. BudderMC

Are the threads in the "Coming Out Later in Life" subforum not supposed to show up on the main page?

If so, that's going to be rather annoying, since they're currently showing up under the "Coming Out Advice" forum despite being in the correct subforum.

Otherwise, thanks for all the hard work Martin (and anyone who helped); the forums are looking good!

10. Minx

Yes! That's what I noticed too. :lol:

11. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The reason it is doing that is because the actual forum is inside the Coming Out Advice section, whereas the bit you see on the main forum is only a redirect link that sends peeps there when clicked. Unfortunately that's just how vBulletin operates redirect links, so the only way to fix that would be to reverse the set up and have Coming Out Later in Life as a main forum and place the redirect link inside the Coming Out Advice forum (or not have a redirect link at all).

Tis understandable peeps won't immediately warm to it and settle into the new structure, but one thing to remember is that unfortunately it hasn't been designed with the intention to be 'liked'. That's not to say that we've used that as a rationale to make a structure that will be detested, but the overriding consideration has been to categorise popular topics of interest and spread them out to the point that people can post a support thread without it disappearing off the first page after less than 90 minutes of inactivity. I too would much prefer the minimalist structure that EC has historically had, but unfortunately it would have a detrimental affect on members who want support and advice, and would add an unnecessary burden on helpful members like yeself who have to waste time searching for threads because of the speed that some forums would churn through new threads.

Everything is subjected to a three month trial, so anything that doesn't work out as planned and just causes problems for staff and/or members will be reviewed and changed accordingly. :slight_smile: Also remember we haven't implemented any new main forums that didn't receive strong support from members during the Forum Changes Consultation, so we haven't sprung any major surprises on ye all. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    I'm a hoarder. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. BudderMC

Ah right, makes perfect sense.

13. Vesper

Looks fantastic!

14. ZanedaKitty

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not used to it, but this is much cleaner and well organized.

15. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love the new look!

16. fqf555

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I love the new forum structure! A lot more organised. Thanks for your hard work! :slight_smile:

17. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ... and a special thanks to Martin, who pretty much singlehandedly did all the heavy lifting necessary to make the changes happen. :slight_smile:

18. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Given how bloody awful vBulletin can be at times, I feel ill at the thought of the work that went into analysing threads, cataloguing them and moving them into the new forums! I wouldn't wish it on my enemy!

I think the new layout is definitely a bit jarring at first, but it will definitely serve the community much better. Well done guys, and thanks for constantly improving the site.

19. UndercoverGypsy

Yeah, maybe you guys should have gone with BbPress or Zenforo or something...

20. DhammaGamer

Very cool

Love the new highlights on the support section for sexual orientation and gender identity. Makes it much easier. Great great change!