1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Well Known TV Televangelist Comments on Homosexuality, Not Exactly What You'd Expect

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Absol, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So I was browsing the HuffPuff like I normally do and this caught my eye: Link

I honestly was sort of taken aback by this. Thoughts?

#1 Absol, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  2. DoriaN

Re: Well Known TV Televangelist Comments on Homosexuality, Not Exactly What You'd Exp

Well, duh. Being gay isn't a sin, adultery and fornication is.

3. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Well Known TV Televangelist Comments on Homosexuality, Not Exactly What You'd Exp

I think Osteen has had a revelation in recent years..specifically "gay people are still sinful, but their money spends exceptionally well"

4. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

It has now become more profitable for churches to not be anti gay than to be anti gay,its a question of money

5. AlamoCity

I honestly seem his as taking the position where he can milk as many people as possible. To the right, he can say that it is still a biblical sin; to the left, that they are still worthy of God's love. Yes, that seems very "progressive," but I take everything an megachurch televangelist says with a heaping pinch of salt because I always sense ulterior motives (main, as SongshiQuan and Zam said, money).

They don't have those donation hotlines for nothing :wink:.

6. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

The church that my parents belong to has taken a similar shift recently. The former pastor had a very hardline view on homosexuality, where the new guy told my Mom that she shouldn't have reacted to me the way she did, that God still loves me despite being a sinner, and she should too. She claimed she never exactly quit loving me, her excuse for her behavior was to encourage me to come back to God.

7. Emberstone

my only responce to his words is 'actions speak louder than word'.

8. DoriaN

The NIV and other translations have perverted the original.
    Malakos was translated as effeminate, which meant cowardly and weak. Later, it got turned into homosexual. There are already words in Greek for 'man-lovers', Paul did not use it for a reason.

Think about it, would a person being born gay be condemned, or a backslid Christian whom never speaks up for his belief and faith? If you fail to mention Jesus, He'll fail to mention you, that's Biblical.

That makes everything come together to make far more sense.

Again, why would evil attack evil? Non-Christians don't have spiritual experiences or dealings unless they acknowledge they exist. Christians are the targets, so why not sow discord among brethren and believers?
    Why not have the earnest, kind, LGBT born man be ostracised with a very small shifting/changing of the Word?

The best lies often have truth in them, if someone told you the sky or ocean was brown you'd call bullshit, but if they conjectured it blue/cyan, you'd reason with them.
    Little editings and omittings and addings change the entire formula, did you know there are 31,102 verses in the Bible? That equals 7 when added. Did you know Godhead is a 7 letter word that appears 3 times in the Bible? There are many more instances of this.

People like to glorify one sin while ignoring another, can the drunkard claim he is better than the adulterer? Can the fornicator say he is better than the liar? Can the homosexual say he is truer than the idolator?

Real simple people, let's stop screwing it up, myself included ;_;

9. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Joel Osteen always seemed to be more of a motivational speaker than a pastor to me. Sure he cites scripture and throws in "god" in his lectures, but almost everything he says could be said by any secular motivational speaker just by removing the religious words.

10. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

"There's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money!"-George Carlin

11. DoriaN

That is a very crude and misleading quote.
    Any even casual studier of the Bible would recognize how wrong that statement is.

Though there is one truth, that people try to use it for profit.
    They have received their reward. Let not the world be fooled by fools, and let it not follow or mock those who are already foolish.

12. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Yeah I can't believe someone like George Carlin would make a statement like that, especially given that the man was such a leading theologian. If I didn't know any better, it's almost as if he was doing a stand-up comedy routine. Huh.

---------- Post added 16th Jan 2014 at 10:39 PM ----------

Y'know what? That was bitchier than I meant and I'm not trying to insult you personally, DoriaN. It's just c'mon surely you know I'm having some fun. I'm quoting a comedian.

#12 SongshiQuan, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  13. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

I don't watch him, so I can't comment. I can't see his inflection or if he winces or what. I just know he's a televangelist who rakes in the money, so I don't watch him. I don't think he's trying to fetch GLBT participation in his church. Acceptance would not be found among the type of constituents who attend. Also, when I was at the store and saw he had a line of greeting cards, that was it! I will NEVER watch him or listen to him. He also looks very slippery in my opinion.

14. DoriaN

My comment was never attacking you, hostilities towards me would just be petty as I can see it. I don't care about people's ranks or status', a powerful tyrant is less than a poor nurturer.

15. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

No, I know you weren't attacking me personally, DoriaN. I wasn't trying to attack you either. I know I was sarcastic as hell in my first response, but that's why I throttled it back in the second. I was trying to convey that it was just a joke. Sorry that I offended you, it was meant to be funny.

16. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people

Yeah, no. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. Beware Of You

I was 1/2 expecting :

Give Jesus (by Jesus him) 60 dollars and you will be healed of your homosexuality, Praise the Lord Hallelujah

18. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

Exactly.

Furthermore, he does not have the formal training to be called a pastor, as did his father, from what I have read. That clearly throws him into motivational speaker zone more than it does pastor zone. And, even if he was a formally trained pastor, I still wouldn't listen to him.

I'm surprised to see him based in Houston and that thousands of people are cramming the parking lot of Lakewood Church to attend his "shows." I thought Houston was more progressive than that. I guess not.

19. DoriaN

It's all good, I take the issue to heart as you can see so I felt compelled to speak up.

No harm no foul =]