1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well I was not expecting to come out today, buuut....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Audiophile, May 30, 2018.

1. Audiophile

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I woke up today just like normal, but by dinnertime I had come out to not one, but two people!
    I have a caseworker for mental health reasons, and during our session today I came out to her as genderqueer, with a pretty negative outcome. She said her religious beliefs made her believe that my identity was not real, and refused outright to do the one thing I asked of her and use my preferred pronouns in conversation. Not in her official notes, not treating me any differently than any other clients. Just changing one word in one specific context, and she outright refused. Needless to say, I decided it would be best I get a new caseworker.
    Fast forward to dinnertime. I'm over at my parent's house. Dad is in their room because his back is hurting, and Mom and I are watching Monk while my husband cooks. My husband lets slip that my caseworker "crossed a line" and that we were getting a new one. Obviously, this peaks my mom's curiosity. She keeps asking what happened, and I end up coming out to her too.
    She actually took it better than expected. She said she didn't think she could use different pronouns because she didn't think she could remember, not because they weren't valid. Mostly she didn't really understand, and I wasn't prepared enough to explain. She brought up the "they is plural" thing and I explained that it could be singular and she uses it singular all the time without realizing it when she doesn't know the gender/sex of someone., ie "They cut me off in traffic!" when she didn't see the driver. I texted her later with some links, and other than the other side of the conversation with my dad that is yet to be had, I think it could have gone a lot worse!

TLDR - came out to caseworker with negative results, then ended up coming out to Mom with fairly positive results

2. normalwolverine

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your case worker was so unprofessional. She's on the job; no one gives two sheets what her personal/religious beliefs are. Not the appropriate time or place, lady!

Good deal with your mother so far.

PotatoPotato and Audiophile like this.
  3. PotatoPotato

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I am out of words for the case worker.