1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird tattoo question

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by RavenTheRat, Dec 27, 2018.

1. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So I’m kind of seeking the wisdom of people more experienced in the professional world here (also had no idea what section to put it in, sorry mods if this isn’t the place)
    I’m currently getting my biology degree and I want to become a high school teacher.
    I have multiple tattoos and piercings that are not visible unless I’m in like, skimpy clothes, and I’ve been very careful to choose easily hidden places.
    Now of course I know that an employer can deny or fire me based on visual body mods, but what about non visual ones? Like say my boss sees me on a weekend in shorts, or at the beach and sees my tattoos. Could they fire me purely on the fact that I HAVE them, even if they’ve never been visible at work?

2. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Technically they shouldn't be able to fire you for anything that you do on your time off (as long as it doesn't impact the image of the school or involve people from the school I suppose), I doubt in this day and age someone would fire you for this reason but let's say it happened and they oddly felt it was worth firing you, I simply assume they would find a way to get rid of you.

I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you respect whatever dress code policy they might have while on the job I can't ever see it being an issue.

3. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, that wouldn't happen unless they already wanted to fire you for other reasons and just used that as an excuse.

On another note, one of my university's chemistry teaching assistants has an extremely visible throat tattoo and it didn't prevent him from getting the job, so it appears some places are pretty lenient with tattoos for educators.