1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird Phobias?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Chelski, Jan 25, 2015.

1. CrazyAwkward

I don't know if this can be considered a phobia or not, but talking on the phone makes me really really really anxious. I hate it and only do it when I'm at work because that's part of the job and I have to :icon_sad:

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only if I were outside of it. Inside would be no problem, as I'd be hearing it through dry air.

3. Lazuri

Actually, submarines are built to run as silently as possible, they'd have to be. Submersibles, on the other hand... *anti-joke chicken*

4. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Swimming in bodies of water in which I cant see my feet (lakes, rivers, oceans), walking alone past windows at night and needles are all phobias of mine but fairly normal. One phobia I have that may be weird to some is getting drunk, like flat out wasted. I dont drink too often but when I do I only have a couple of drinks and thats it. Alcohol scares me. My mother is an alcoholic (even though she refuses to admit it or seek help), and Ive seen my brother when he is drunk and it just scares the crap out of me.

5. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well as the weird person I am, I have to have quite a few fears :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Showers: I feel like drowning when I'm under one. How the hell am I supposed to put shampoo if this damn water keeps getting in my eyes and mouth D: Bath, pls. Camping is the horror for that, but I still love camping :/

Balloons popping: And it POPPED. Just like your eardrums :grin:

Dark: Shit, what is that darn dark shape?!? Oh, forget it, it's me... But what is THIS?!?

6. steve391242

Out Status:
    All but family
    I got the needle phobia too. And also I have a fear of getting close to corpses. It is quite stupid cause I study molecular biology so I have to open them sometimes, and I got no problem with that,or the mice and the frogs. But i can't be the first to go near them, i think that it might still be alive. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Wukie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Bath tubs. I will fight to the death if someone tried to make me sit in one. Even when I stand in one to shower I have to have a mat down. My skin still crawls even while standing on the mat. If I accidentally step off of it I get chills up my spine and I have a mini panic attack. As soon as the water stops I have to get out immediately or I get more and more agitated.

8. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not really weird, but I have a very strong STD phobia. I didn't get tested for a long time and didn't know where to go. I had HIV testing twice even without having sex long after any possible exposure because I thought I could get a false negative.

9. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The most bizarre phobia I have is ligyrophobia (a fear of loud noises).

I've got no idea how I got it, but I was pretty much deaf as a child due to a health condition affecting my ears, so I've always been sensitive to sounds since my hearing was 'restored'. I'm guessing that's why.

Balloons, in particular, really freak me out. Knowing that they can just unexpectedly pop at any time makes me feel really uncomfortable. Not a huge fan of fireworks either. :slight_smile:

10. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

^ So that's what it's called! I thought I would never find someone who had that fear. Balloons and fireworks? Are we the same person!?

I know exactly how mine manifested. I was 13, at the mall with my grandpa and I went by a display stand that had balloons attached to it. He then popped a balloon right as I walked by. It was a joke to him. I've been fearful of noises ever since.

#70 XenaxGabby, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2015
  11. geroni211

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i have a really silly phobia, but i get really panicky at large things while im sleeping. (My dad dared me to swim to the booey, but i coudnt go closer than 5 meters.

Also, kinda have a phobia for dark :/ . i just start to wonder what could be hidden in the shadows and start panicking at that

12. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have had a few bizarre ones but the main one everybody knows about and I still have today is dandelions. The little ones don't scare me, but the taller, the scarier. I remember every year in elementary school I had to walk down to the local library with my class. The first time in 2nd grade I stopped at a 2 foot tall dandelion and bursted out crying. I had to do it again in 3rd grade. We skipped it in 4th and 5th grade but we had to do it again in sixth grade. That last time I was prepared and specifically used a newspaper to cover the sight.
    One time in fourth grade a kid in my class picked out a dandelion 2 to 3 feet tall on a field trip to Lincoln. He was walking and about 20 - 30 feet away yelled "Hey [my name]!". I turned around and saw him running at me with the dandelion. I turned away immediately and started running as fast as I could until my teacher yelled at him to drop it. I don't know what would've happened if he got to me. If he was smart, he would've waited until he was right next to me to say something. But he's not smart, and I'm glad of that.
    I've been scared of other things before including feathers, sunflowers, dragon flies, and boss battles in video games. Whenever I got into a boss battle in a video game, I screamed. Everybody else laughed.

13. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Blood. And pain (I don't care if it is just a small thing). With the blood it is because my brother fell out of our rv when I was little and had to get stitches. The pain is because of passing out from pain before (although I only know I passed out because of others telling me...). But my #1 fear is needles (don't ask why I still have and want more piercings).

#73 PerfectlyNormal, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  14. aeva

Emetophobia (other people or myself throwing up). It's gotten significantly worse as I've gotten older, to the point that I have started getting minor anxiety any time somebody goes into the bathroom. Pretty much any time I'm around humans (especially kids), I'm hypervigilant. Traveling has become basically impossible, and I avoid drunk people at all costs. Winter is a nightmare for me because that's when the stomach flu comes around!

Anything that reminds me of a time I or somebody else threw up, I usually avoid. This can be places, foods, seating arrangement, anything.

If I think either I or somebody around me is going to vomit, I go into full on panic attack mode. Hysterically crying, drenched in sweat, shaking, etc.

The weird part is...I work in an animal hospital, and I could not care less about animals puking. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

15. MissBookworm

MissBookworm Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, my fear isn't particularly uncommon. Trypanophobia, which is basically the fear of injections. Not a fear of needles or sharp objects, just injections and shots. Even a routine flu shot is so terrifying to me that I can't breathe.

16. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I tend to really be affected by flat places with little vegetation. I don't know if that's agoraphobia - the fear of open spaces - or a form of it . Places that are mountainous or rolling but have little to no vegetation are fine. Places that are flat and have a lot of vegetation are fine. I just get depressed if I'm in a place like the one I initially described.

As for heights, I don't have a fear of them, because I will gladly go up to the top of some tower, tall building, or something. However, if I'm in a place where I could take a spill, and there is no protective thing like a balcony or a railing, I tend to avoid the place altogether or stay about 10 feet away from the edge. I think I've seen too many movies where someone accidentally falls out or is pushed out. Paranoid much?

---------- Post added 27th Jan 2015 at 05:46 PM ----------

I have had bouts with this, too. It's probably guilt. And if it hasn't been "the big one," then it has been "the little ones." But then, I sometimes wonder if I'm going to get hit by lightning when it's storming just because, well, someone or something like that has to make the news.

#76 Tightrope, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  17. MisterTinkles

Will not get into any water where I cannot see the bottom.
    I have a fear of heights, I have pretty much always had that one.
    Even though I have tried to overcome it in my life, it's still there.

Cockroaches. I can handle wild dogs, snakes, lizards, scorpions, spiders.............
    but cockroaches? I will scream like a Catholic School girl and run like hell.

18. bazinga91

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have the fear of being buried alive, and I have fears of loud noises and certain textures. I know that sounds weird but certain textures give me massive anxiety and launch me into a full panic attack. I am also afraid of airplanes and spiders which are more common

19. Jellal

I'm really scared of snails. I always have been since I was a little kid. I don't like snails or slugs.

20. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I most definitely have herpetophobia issues. I think that's somewhat normal. They can do you in.