1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird Phobias?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Chelski, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Chromedome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My phobia is cold temperautres! Cryophobia!

2. littlemonster11

I'm embarrassed to say it, but I do have a fear of birds (Ornithophobia), especially when they're flying past me. Even when I expect it, I always flinch and panic internally when they flap their wings.

3. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

Not really weird, but I have astraphobia (fear of thunder and lightning) and social phobia.

4. Fiziks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have an irrational fear of ironic things that refer to themselves, such as this reply....

5. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not necessarily a phobia but rather an extreme-dislike-of-and-will-be-extremely-uncomfortable-and-nervous-when-forced-to-make-use of escalators. Stupidly enough, I used to have nightmares about them. Which first of all, is really fucking weird. For like a year, I was scared they were going to eat my feet, or somehow get me to fall off and crack my head.

Now it's more just a nerves thing. Too close to other sweaty shoppers. And my reaction time isn't good enough to safely get on some of those speedy escalators. I always take the stairs, if it's an option.

6. lostluvr

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    being locked in an enclosed box that is slowly filling with water...uhhh...loosing my teeth..going thru a pregnetcy..a bug in my ear..a bug burrowing in my body...idk lots of odd things..haha

7. CyanChachki

Moths. I know it's not uncommon but I know that it's weird. Grasshoppers and Crickets are another. I never used to be afraid of them up until 2 years ago when they started to take over the city. They are good for taking out moths but they'll jump at you, crawl on you etc.

8. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cell phones. My one weakness. I feel an urge to smash them against the wall. I don't use a cell phone. I realise how silly this sounds... especially because I have no trouble with landlines.

You want weird? I grew up with stygiophobia, the fear of Hell. I was obsessed with Hell and I've read about it in various beliefs. My nightmares didn't help. Unlike my discomfort with cell phones, this phobia used to result in panic attacks and near obsessive-compulsive behaviour. I've never discussed it with a doctor because there's no point. I almost never talk about it with people because of the obvious religious connection. The only thing that really brought me peace was reading about cosmology.

People are free to laugh at me all they want for this childish fear. I wouldn't wish my sleep paralysis and hypnagogic hallucinations on anyone. I hear voices saying I should stop resisting and join them because I just pretend to be good and my heart is rotten. I guess you could say my ultimate fear is my own damn mind. On that note, I'm also scared of losing my mind... just not to the extent of a phobia, and I probably sound crazy now.

9. crazycat

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think this is really a phobia per say, but feeling trapped makes me really anxious. Not small spaces, just feeling trapped.

---------- Post added 26th Jan 2015 at 04:25 AM ----------

This kinda reminds me of when I went a whole summer so afraid of something terrible happening when I was asleep, like a fire or someone breaking in, that I would stay up till dawn every night until school started and I just couldn't anymore. As I was staying up I would always put on Fantasia. When bald mountain would come on, I would start thinking....I grew up the child of a Wiccan and a non denominational spiritual man, and I had chosen Wicca as my spiritual path a long time ago but what if I am wrong and I go to hell? Or worse yet, what if there is no afterlife? What if when we die it's just nothing?

10. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll tell you when I get there! Oh, wait...

You've probably already heard about Pascal's Wager and Atheist's Wager. In the end, this decision is up to the individual. Please don't let me influence you.

You're a Wiccan? I'm a chaote. I like magic because of the psychodrama. Basically if I'm really angry with somebody, it's usually more mentally healthy (and easier to move on!) to write down what (I think) should happen to them and shred/burn it.

11. Fafner

I have a couple, but the one I have most trouble explaining is trypophobia! Wikipedia defines it as "... the pathological fear of objects with irregular patterns of holes, such as beehives, ant hills and lotus seed heads". The lotus plant literally makes me feel like I'm gonna throw up :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. crazycat

Out Status:
    A few people
    My usual reaction is to sleep on it and see if I'm still angry about it in the morning, and then I usually forget about it. But then sometimes I kinda snap at them and then I feel really bad.
    Pascal's wager only really works in the context of one God, not worshipping the wrong God. As for athiest's wager, I heard of something similar called the ripple effect, only the ripple effect was more neutral while the athiest's wager typically specifies improving mankind. I kinda like that take on the afterlife, but at the same time I'm really scared of just not existing at all, no consciousness no dreaming no thoughts no smells nothing.
    I like Magic more because it allows me to believe in something supernatural and wonderful.

13. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have automatonophobia, which is the fear of humanoid figures. It's mostly life-like dolls, animatronics, wax figures, and garden gnomes(strangely specific, I know). I also don't really like those characters in costumes. A couple of weeks ago, there was a guy in a shark costume walking around the store I work at and it took all I had to keep it together. I know it's some guy in there, but I don't know, it just makes me uneasy.

I also have a fear of being trapped.

14. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find it difficult to sleep when I'm angry. Oh, well, different things work for different people!

That's my main problem with Pascal's Wager, too. As for the possibility of nothingness after death; we wouldn't be around to worry about not existing. I can imagine why it's scary when you're still alive though.

The ripple effect reminds me of my huge fear of tidal waves. Sometimes I wish I had more 'normal' fears. Anyway, there are positives and negatives to it.

15. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Having my head underwater with an engine running nearby.

I'm not specifically scared of propellors or the actual machinery, but hearing such loud, deep sounds through water is the most terrifying thing for me to go through.

The idea of being submerged near a large, running ship is enough to make me feel like fainting.

16. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I don't know if they are weird, but I do have fear of heights when there's a possibility for me to jump / break free. I think what can be considered weird, is my phobia of bees and wasps. I seriously freak out when one is near me, I just run away (or make myself little if I can't run). I know it's childish (and people do make fun of it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ), but I really can't help it much.

17. Lazuri

I could never live without swiss cheese.

On topic though.

For the longest time I thought I was without phobias but one day I realized I was wrong. During my childhood I had some incidents with water and I now realize it did put its mark on me. I'm not afraid of water in general or open water and though deep water makes me uncomfortable, I can deal. No, my fear is to be submerged so far beneath the surface that I can see the shimmering light of the sun, but deep enough to know I will never make it up before I drown.

That said I always thought drowning seemed.... Peaceful. And sometimes I catch myself thinking that if I ever contracted a terminal disease, I would simply drown myself.

Sometimes I feel certain that drowning is how I'm going to die and for some reason I'm at ease with that.

I'm being really morbid and weird right now.

18. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Now I remember more. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    1) Grasshoppers and wasps, especially big ones. I don't know if it's a phobia, I'm mostly disgusted by them, not afraid.
    2) Clubs. Yes, night clubs, with loud music and lights. I'm not a good company for loud parties. Lights that go on and off make me dizzy and panicky and the music is like drilling my head. Last time it was so bad I had to close my eyes and ears and run out of the place.
    Don't get me wrong, I like having fun at night, I just prefer bars etc. The good thing is that usually I hang out with people who also prefer more quiet things.

19. markosss

I have social phobia. I am also afraid of the dentist some bugs and swimming in deep water.

20. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

So, a submarine would probably kill you?