1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird patches of extremely itchy skin under my boobs?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Atticus, May 25, 2012.

1. Atticus

Okay, first of all, I think it would be pertinent to state that I do have eczema. However, I have only really experienced this on my face, hands, legs, and stomach. I have never had any areas of eczema above my belly button except for one time when I was using a horrible detergent.

Also, I keep my boobs flattened out as much as I can. Since I'm anxiously awaiting the several years until I can get them permanently removed, I'm stuck with sports bras. I have a really big chest (DD) and I'm like a fucking polar bear or something because I am always sweating. I'm built for cooler climates, but as I live in Mississippi, cool doesn't happen unless I'm sitting in the freezer (something my parents apparently frown upon).

The area I'm having problems with is that underboob area where it meets my stomach, but lately on the left one it has been spreading all the way up to my nipple. The skin is extremely red, flaky, ITCHY, and there's a weird smell. The right one isn't so bad. It feels like the skin is sort of thick on my left boob.

I currently can not afford to go to my dermatologist, so that's out of the question for right now. I've tried using my gold bond lotion (works wonders on my hands and legs especially) on the problem area but to no avail. I sleep naked for the most part, so I feel like my chest does get some airing out (this is, however, difficult to accomplish when I am in my dorm room).

Anybody have any clues as to what this is or what I should do about it? Any ideas on how to keep myself from scratching myself to death?

I should have mentioned this when I went to the doctor on Wednesday for an ear infection...

2. starfish

I have bad eczema also. I've been using Cetaphil moisturizing cream the past few months, and it has made a big difference. My dermatologist recommended it.

Mention it to your doctor. They can give you something for it. When mine gets real bad I have to get some topical steroids to clear it up.

3. Atticus

I've used the Cetaphil before. I believe actually I used it when I had a bad allergic reaction sort of thing spurred by my eczema. This is a rather nice idea.

Topical steroids, eh? I'll have to look into that. Thanks a heap!

4. Oh boy. Yeah, I don't have eczema, but I do get the 'underboob' rash thing when it's hot...I'm also a DD and wear sports bras.

Do you wear a bra when you sleep? If you do, stop wearing one for a couple of days and just wear a t-shirt or tank top that's loose. It might feel uncomfortable, but sleeping in loose shirts, using gentle soaps when showering and applying lotion regularly was the only thing that helped me.

5. KaraBulut

Often these patches of itchiness, irritation and redness that develop in the folds of the skin are a combination of friction and fungal/bacteria overgrowth. Particularly in hot, humid climates the moistness and dead skin that accumulates in folds of the skin make for a great growth medium for the normal fungi and bacteria that we all have on our skin.

The key to controlling it is to keep the area dry and to reduce the friction from skin rubbing on skin. Corn starch, baby powder and body powders help. Another thing you can try is zinc oxide cream- usually found in the baby section as diaper rash paste (in US, Desitin is common brand). Zinc oxide cream does seem to help in some cases although it will leave a white residue on dark clothing, so some people chose to apply it at bedtime.

In your case, since you have large breasts, you may want to go to a women's lingerie store and have a proper bra fitting. A surprising number of women are wearing the wrong size bra and in the case of large-breasted women, a little extra lift and support will help reduce the skin breakdown that can occur under the breast.

If these over-the-counter options don't clear it up, you may need a prescription strength antifungal cream. Your family doctor or a dermatologist can determine whether a topical corticosteroid or antifungal (or both) is the best option for you.

6. Atticus

The Brandon idea is all well and good, but as I am not a woman, that would not work for me. I don't want to feel any further dysphoria by wearing an actual bra. I will try the powders and creams you've mentioned though. Thanks for your input.

---------- Post added 26th May 2012 at 12:01 PM ----------

Actually I sleep naked. I take off a bra as soon as I can. What kind of soaps do you use? I have had problems finding soaps that are easy on my skin...

7. TraceElement

Many stores have a sensitive skin formula or try Ivory.
    Gold bond has a medicated powder that is an anti-itch and skin protectant, so it may be worth a try.
    Cortizone 10 is an anti-itch cream that may help.