1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird and Creepy Teacher

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by cgrumms, Feb 28, 2019.

1. cgrumms

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, so I'm in a bit of a dilemma. So my PE teacher gets oddly friendly with just me and none of his other students. He always talks to me about my personal life and cheers me on like my friends do when running the weekly mile. I asked my friends if he talks to them this way and according to them, he doesn't talk to them at all. I know I'm probably just being paranoid but I just need outside opinion.

2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds odd, but maybe you just look sad and he's trying to cheer you up.

3. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you have any idea why could he be acting this way?

Regardless, if you are uncomfortable with it, be honest with him and say you prefer not to talk about private things. If he doesn't stop, then you should consider talking to his supervisor or the headmaster.

There is the possibility that he is just trying to be friendly, like Destin said. However, regardless of his intentions, if you are uncomfortable with it, then he needs to stop.

Destin likes this.
  4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm inclined to agree with both Justin and Chiropotera. Many teachers identify kids that seem like loners, or are shy, or otherwise withdrawn or unhappy looking, and cultivate conversation with them to help identify what's going on, and whether there are any concerns to be worried about.

So my first thought is that is most likely what's going on, especially if he has not done that with anyone else.

Destin likes this.
  5. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Speaking as a teacher, if that's all he's doing and no other actual creepy behavior (touching, etc.) then it is almost exactly what Chip said. I know if I see kids that are sometimes off by themselves or if there just seems to be something off, they need extra encouragement, etc. For example, the past two days during fun activities, one of my boys just stopped participating and just seemed...off. So, I checked in with him today just to see how he's been, make sure everything's okay.

Sometimes teachers also form different relationships with different students. For example, my boys are really responsive to me, whereas some of the quieter girls I don't know as well. And teachers are actually encouraged to take an interest in their students, it shows that they care about them as a person instead of just a body in a seat.

Have you had challenges in gym class before? Trouble in school in general? Are you off by yourself?

Destin likes this.
  6. cgrumms

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand all of your concerns but I am a generally happy person. He doesn't treat any of the clearly emo kids this way and I just don't see how he could make that correlation. I'm not saying that emo kids are depressed, but he most likely does.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A competent teacher knows the difference between an emo kid and a kid who may need some extra help. There are a lot of subtle signs.

That said, if you are uncomfortable, in spite of the fact that pretty much everyone in the thread says there isn't a problem, then take the action you feel is appropriate. You are the one there experiencing it, so the people reading this can really only offer input based on what you've described. And what you've described does not sound problematic.

BasketCase and Chierro like this.
  8. Kevin k

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    It's a little strange, but he could just be a nice guy. Or, if you are out, maybe he is also gay/bi and he knows how it feels to lgbt be in school. But, I could be wrong, and he could be a real creep. But I've had a PE teacher in the past who was really nice, and he would often approach students and ask if they have anything to vent. I'd trust your gut on this one.