1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ways on coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TheOneCactus, May 24, 2018.

1. TheOneCactus

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi all
    rescently I came out to my third person who was thankfully very supportive but I have a ever increasing need to come out to my parents. from what I gather, they're fairly liberal and though my mother makes me do push ups every morning, I think it's because she wants me to not feel weak when I enter Uni, not because she wants me to be more masculine. My current problem is how to come out in a tactful yet not cringy way. some of the ideas I've seen are:
    1. Letter: Probably not as it's a bit cringy and I can't stand to write it
    2. Sitting down and talking: Also a bit too cringy. I think asking them and very formally is a) cringy and b) setting myself up to a long questioning
    3. Casually remarking: Not as cringy, less tactful and most likely the one I would use. but unfortunatley, I haven't got enough balls to do that (pun intended)

if anybody has any other suggestions I would be greatly appreciated

2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    TheOneCactus.....I actually do understand the "cringy" feeling! But...I still think that the letter will help you. You don't actually have to give your parents the letter! Use the letter to help you organize your thoughts...to be sure that you don't leave out something important and to be sure that unimportant things are not included. Putting your thoughts down on paper can be very useful to you. It will help you to know what to say and then if you take the "casual" route it will be so much better because of your preparation! A second thought....take some time and consider what questions that your parents might have. Then write your answers down, again using that to help you organize your thoughts...to help you come up with well-considered answers instead of having to "think on your feet" when questions come up...and they will come up! Hope this helps out!!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

Mali Mali likes this.