1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanting to come out, but unsure...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Johnbot, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Johnbot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello everyone,

I have in later years accepted to myself that I am not straight. That I am pansexual.
    Since then I came out to my ex-girlfriend, my current girlfriend, and two of my best friends.

I do not know why, but I feel a want to come out to all my friends and family.

On one hand it feels ridiculous to me to have to, or even wanting to come out. It seems irrelevant and like information that is none of people's interest, nor concern. I am also a bit nervous about how they will respond.
    On the other hand I feel this want (drive) to show it and tell it. I have started sewing on a pansexual flag on my battle jacket (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut-off). The metal scene is rather homophobic and I somehow feel like I want to confront that.
    And I feel like I should tell my family. Like that they deserve to know that somehow.

I do no longer live in the country I grew up and I have no family where I live now. This sort of allows me to show it (with the patch for example), or telling people, and my family would not learn about it.

To sum up one could say that I am confused. :grin:
    Just unsure and I don't know how to proceed. It feels difficult.

Do you people have some tips, ideas, and experiences to share?

2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Johnbot.....Hello and welcome to empty closets! There are a couple of resources here on EC that might help you. First, if you post on the "Sexual Orientation" forum, you will find some people who have been dealing with the same kind of issues that you are. There are also some sample coming out letters here that might help. To find them go to the Home page and do not login. At the top there are links, click on "Resources". THe next screen will have a box on the left where you can see the link to"Coming Out Letters". I hope some of that helps!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

Johnbot likes this.
  3. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's not at all unusual to feel like it's none of their business--like why would they even need to know. The thing is... the thing I always think is: how sad to think that who you are, what you feel, how you love isn't anyone's business. It may well be true, but do you want it to be true? Do you want to live your life at a remove from the people around you?