1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Walrus's]Gay Therapist helping his clients stay in the closet[Findings]

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by InaRut, Sep 3, 2011.

1. InaRut

Searching around on my brand new fancy dancy Google Reader when I came across this article from the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/19/m...tay-in-the-closet.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

It's pretty long but dwells into some of the psychological history of coming out as well as offering the morale question whether or not can a psychologist truly recommend his client leaves the closet:

What do you guys think?
    [Initiate: Quick Read]

2. Daisy1

Ooh, great discussion!

I read this article when it came out and thought it was pretty interesting. Basically, for some deeply religious people, their sexuality is so anathema to who they aspire to be that they prefer to suppress their homosexuality and live a heterosexual life. It certainly seems unhealthy, but if people believe their other option is going to hell, it's hard to blame them. I suppose they're lucky to have a psychologist to help them figure it out.

It feels wrong to me, but I wonder if I would feel differently if I identified myself primarily by my religious beliefs.