1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Volunteering?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SRSLYMARK, Apr 25, 2010.

1. SRSLYMARK

I would really like to do some volunteer work this summer, both to pad my college applications and also for the personal fulfillment. I found a website that looks pretty extensive (volunteermatch.com) but I'm still sort of intimidated by the idea of it. What's the best way for me to get started?

Thanks. :slight_smile:

2. RaeofLite

3. Chandra

I see that you're in Chicago, so I googled "Chicago volunteer center" and came up with this: http://www.chicagovolunteer.net/. I would suggest going there and speaking to one of their staff; they can probably help you figure out what you might be good at / interested in, and then find out if there are any positions available.

It may seem intimidating at first, but volunteering is usually a lot of fun - you get to meet cool people, you feel good about yourself, and lots of great opportunities come out of it!

4. MusicIsLife

when I volunteered, i just went to the place I wanted to volunteer at (In this case a Vet clinic) and asked if they volunteered. But if you're intimidated by it, you could also go through a centre or something...?

5. Connor22

why not volunteer with a church?

6. HalfInsane

I do the same. I've done volunteer work for about least five different places, and simply went and asked them in person if they were looking for volunteers. No need to be intimidated, places such as homeless shelters/soup kitchens or animal shelters are normally thrilled to hear someone is interested in volunteering.

7. SRSLYMARK

I guess I'm just afraid of really messing something up or breaking something, ha ha. I'm afraid of just getting nervous and clumsy and dropping something or hitting a button and then I'm "that one guy who blew up a homeless shelter." :/

8. HalfInsane

Homeless shelters don't have self destruct buttons =P, so... unless you bring a pack of dynamite I'm sure nothing will blow up.

Seriously though, just like with a job or anything else, you give it a few days and you'll calm down, get the feel of the place and the other volunteers/workers and you'll probably settle right in. There's no harm in making a few beginner mistakes- just like with anything you can ask questions. Just get out there, ask questions, focus on your work, and be sure to enjoy the experience; volunteering can be quite rewarding. You'll do great.

9. Johnnieguy

I really like volunteering with Habitat for Humanity. You could also try volunteering with the National Park Service on projects like removing invasive species (ie, European Buckthorn/Rhamnus cathartica) from parks in and around Chicago.

10. Cracked Actor

I volunteered once with a local organization that helps kids with disabilities, so I guess you can look for organizations in your town. Good luck. ;]

11. Courtneyyy

I enjoy volunteering that allows me to do manual labor, like Habitat for Humanity.

You're 17, so check with your school for a volunteer type club. All schools have National Honor Society, but that's selective and not everyone who wants in gets in (why would they deter someone away from volunteering is beyond me, but that's besides the point). Most schools also have Key Club or INTERACT, or some sort of volunteer club. Definitely check with your schools clubs.

I've done almost all of my volunteering through my church, so that's definitely a place to look.