1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Answered Using VPN tools hides my real location from EC?

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Vega222, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi,

This website is blocked in Iran and i use VPNs or such tools to get here. I just wanted to know if EC (and other blocked websites) can see my real location (or at least my country)? I mean using VPNs hide my real country from the websites?

#1 Vega222, Sep 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know about EC in particular, but for most sites, yes they can see it if they dig for it - but that takes a while and most don't care enough to do it.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Using a VPN to access a website means that the destination site sees only the IP address the request came from... which is not going to be your own IP address. Most likely it will be from outside of your country, but that all depends on how the VPN network is set up.

That said, it is theoretically possible in most circumstances, if someone really wants to go through the effort, to trace things back through the VPN to the source IP address. But that generally requires a lot of effort and some level of cooperation from the VPN provider. In this regard, some are better than others in terms of protecting one's safety.