1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Use the same method for rest of the family?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Starshine16, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Starshine16

My mom's side of my family is extremely close and now that I have decided to write a letter to my parents,telling them that I am bisexual,I am wondering if I should write the same letter to my maternal grandmother and to my uncle who I am extremely close to and who live in town and close to me.

I don't plan on telling my dad's family(largely because they are not biologically my family since my stepdad adopted me and I have never felt like I was their granddaughter/niece anyway) My stepdad adopted me 8 years ago and I have always called him dad since I haven't seen my real dad since I was eighteen months old.Complex story there lol.

So since I have made the decison to write the letter to my parents,do I come out in that same way to my other relatives on my mom's side which does include relatives that I will definitely have to use a letter for because they live on the East Coast.

I am so sorry if this is difficult to follow.I tried to make it clear,but my thoughts are all over the place...I just don't know if I should do the same thing for my in town relatives as I am doing for my parents.

2. musican

I think that if you’re ready to tell your parents through a letter then you should do it. But I think you should wait until you see how your parents react before telling your other relatives. If they are immediately accepting then you could always ask them if they think you relatives would be accepting, and if they think you should tell them too.

3. Gumtree

^^^ I agree with whats posted above!

A letter is as good a way to come out as any, in many ways better.

But do take time before each letter, before you come out to anyone make sure you know who's with you and who's not.