1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News US Supreme Court upholds travel ban

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by wickedwitch, Jun 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Um, yeah, I "hate" (don't like) anyone who wants to see me literally dead for being myself, which includes African Christians. There's no such thing as flawed facts. There's facts and there's fantasy. Comparing western Christians to any other religious group in terms of tolerance of LGBT and expecting to make a point is fantasy.

2. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So saying that many western Christians would happily erradicate gay people, send them to conversion camp even if that means them being tortured is pure fantasy? Right! And the KKK doesn't exist because the fact that "western people" would want to eradicate a minority is impossible! Forgot Hitler was African and that the apartheid in countries such as SA ended a few thousands years ago (or was it in the 90's?!)

To think that western Christians or religious folks are in any way better than the rest is deluded. Many people from the East and Middle East have no problem with gay people and other religions (again terrorism doesn't represent a religion!) same in the West but you will also find many fucked up religious folks in the West still wanting to get rid of the gays, force women to give birth despite being raped and happily wanting to get rid of minorities without much of a second thought, and guess what? You will easily find them in the US.

Heck most countries, even poor, have a much better healthcare system than the US simply because most US citizens would rather see their elderly neighbour go without medication than pay a penny more in taxes to benefit others (very Christian of them as you can tell!).

I was in Africa a few weeks ago and went to gay clubs with locals, openly talked about my sexuality and never once felt unsafe. Many Africans (and I have been to various countries) had no real problem with gay people. Heck I went to a mostly gay male club with a straight african male and you know what? he had no problem going when I suggested it and having fun in that environment. Not saying that that all africans understand being gay or accept it, of course, but while they may not understand it or even see it as a good thing, very few care enough to actually wish murder upon us and want to see us dead.

People can want to see you dead for being gay anywhere in the world, irrelevant of their religious and political background.
    Not all muslims hate gays, not all christians hate gays, not all atheist love gays, it's an individual thing.

I personally don't care if someone would rather I died for being queer as long as they don't actually try to kill me. Hating people who hate you is a waste of time and energy and I don't actually think everyone should "love" gay people, I think people should agree and disagree with whatever they fancy as long as they do it civilely and don't take justice into their own hands. Most people couldn't really care what you do of your life and who you spend your nights with but yes you will find a few fanatics anywhere who will openly and threateningly disagree.

3. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    You don't like African Christians because they are black right? However, you have no problems with white homophobic Christians in Europe such as in Russia?

Do you realize that Christianity is a western import and the laws criminalizing homosexuals in Africa, the Caribbean etc were introduced by the British? These countries are following British laws that were imposed upon them by the British empire when they colonized them. Of course there is no excuse for retaining these laws but homophobia was first introduced by the tolerant West of which you speak.

Are you aware that many of the "horrible homophobic countries" in the Caribbean and Africa banned the homophobic American preacher Steven Anderson who advocated for the killing of gay people?

Please don't act like Muslims and black people are the only homophobic groups in the world.

4. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Let's also not forget the role of white American Evangelical preachers (many of whom support Trump) in creating the Kill the Gays Bill in Uganda and how these homophobic white preachers from America go to these poor African countries stoking up lies and hatred against gay people. A few years back someone like Steven Anderson would be welcomed with open arms but things are changing.

#24 KyleD, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This thread had a warning posted that the conversation needed to remain on topic and to be respectful, yet this has not happened.

Generalizing populations is not in any way respectful. We (lgbt) people live in a world where many generalizations are used against us. It is important that we remain aware of the damage that generalizations cause us and other groups of marginalized people every day.

Because this thread has remained off topic, it has been locked. Any questions can be directed to the ask the staff subforum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.