1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News US Supreme Court upholds travel ban

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by wickedwitch, Jun 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wickedwitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
  2. BadassFrost

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is this for real?? Just because someone's from a country your president does not like means they cannot enter the US?? This sounds really stupid to be honest. What will happen to people from these countries who are already in the US? Will they be suddenly kicked out?

3. Aleko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The only one I sort of disagree with on the list of the countries is Iran. Iran seems to be the most stable country on the list(List includes Libya, Somalia, Syria and Yemen. 3 of which are in a civil war currently and the one that is very unstable.) But Iran is against Saudi Arabia which is an ally of America. So yes, I definitely support the travel ban.

I will just leave a quote here to end my statement:

“We have to be tough, and we have to be safe, and we have to be secure. At a minimum, we have to make sure that we vet people coming into the country,” the Republican president said, referring in a statement to “this era of worldwide terrorism and extremist movements bent on harming innocent civilians.” - Reuters

#3 Aleko, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  4. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Shame. Even more of a shame that U.S. government majority support this. Our government is getting out of control, sometimes I actually question if we're on the path to the fall of democracy. I truly am dumbfound every single day as to why it is 2018 and these people are more worried about things like discriminating against people and building walls than they are about finding cures and bettering the world. It legit makes no sense. Then they pretend to wonder why there's so much gun violence and school/mass shootings (usually by white male citizens), and still they do next to nothing to help these issues, the issues which actually need action.

5. Aleko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just curious, what is the purpose of emphasizing the "usually by white male citizens" part?

6. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I put emphasis on this because of the ban on Muslims and the so called terrorism they bring, when in reality most of the mass shootings and killings on U.S. soil is committed by white male U.S. citizens. Just like the shooting which occurred in Maryland yesterday, white male u.s. citizen. I'm just saying maybe the government and citizens should be worried about their own.

7. Nicholas7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    good, this people are scum who insult the LGBT community. Islam is a big problem and you know that, how could you want more hate for the LGBT community. These people destroy freedom. If you read the quran it would say you can't be gay..... you bring them to your country and they will take over and kill all of us. And no i aint racist, religion isnt a race. religion is cancer, islam needs to be banned....

8. Aleko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well white men make up 31% of Americas population. So in all honesty, I would expect the majority to be white men due to the very large number of them within America. But when 2 of the worst terrorist attacks/mass killings happen by Muslims(Counting the Las Vegas shooter) which make up only 1% of Americas religions and ethnic groups, it shows that Muslims are incompatible with the rest of America and therefore should not be allowed into the country if we want major terrorist attacks to stop happening.

#8 Aleko, Jun 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  9. Nicholas7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have muslim friends but lets get to the facts. Islam hates gays and non - believers. I don't hate muslims, I hate islam. Religion is the main problem on this planet and it needs to be stopped.

10. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    The second deadliest terrorist attack in the U.S. was the Oklahoma City bombing in 1995 and that was not carried out by a Muslim.

11. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry, but I disagree. I also do not consider the Las Vegas shooter a Muslim, but I guess we're all entitled to our opinions :slight_smile:

12. Aleko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So the Islamic State claiming responsibility doesn't convince you?

13. Aleko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I said "2 of the worst" not the first and second worst. I am going by a list of the worst terrorist attacks on American soil. Now that I am looking at it its actually 3! The Las Vegas shooter, Orlando Nightclub Shooting and obviously 9/11.

14. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Ok, first of all the Las Vegas shooting was NOT commited by a Muslim so please stop spreading information that is false.

Second of all, the Las Vegas shooting does not fit the definition of a terrorist attack and is categorized as a mass shooting.

Thirdly, all deadly terrorist attacks post 9/11 have been carried out by American citizens. To obtain a U.S visa post 9/11is an extremely difficult and complicated process that involves tons of background checks. Trump's travel ban will save 0 lives.

#14 KyleD, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  15. Aleko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Im just gonna answer these as 1, 2, and 3

1: I mean Muslim as in "A Muslim is someone who follows or practices Islam". The attack was claimed by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, We have no way of knowing however is Stephen Paddock follow the religion of Islam or not. Either way the Islamic State refers to him as a Soldier of Caliphate.

2: If the Islamic state is actually behind it, it would.

3: I guess "deadly" doesn't Include the 2006 UNC SUV Attack, The guy who committed the 2006 Seattle Jewish Federation shooting would be here if his father hadn't immigrated here, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab attempted to blow up a civilian aircraft, He was Nigerian Born. Faisal Shahzad tried to detonate a bomb in time square in 2010. he is Pakistani born. So yes, I really do think it will save lives. In all honesty, I dont think it is harsh enough. And these background checks unfortunately are not very effective in detecting if someone is migrating to the US with terrorist intent.

16. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    We must be careful not to spread false information. The FBI concluded there was no link between Paddock and ISIS; furthermore ISIS has falsely claimed responsibility for attacks before like the one in Manila Phillipines and they falsely claimed to have planted a bomb in France which turned out to be untrue.

The 2006 UNC SUV Attack was carried out by a man who came to the U.S at the age of 2 therefore he was radicalized in the U.S. The same goes for the man who committed the 2006 Seattle Jewish Federation shooting; he was born in the U.S.
    Post 9/11 there have been 24 deaths resulting from foreign born terrorists and none of the perpetrators have originated from any of the countries on Trump's travel ban list.

#16 KyleD, Jul 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  17. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I cannot believe the amount of islamophobia on this thread.

I am not muslim (and thankfully not from the US) but this is shocking that people count terrorists act, carried by a MINORITY of people who do not even respect the teachings of their own religion as reprentative of an entire religion and of the people following it.

Do you consider each Caucasian mass shooter a representation of the entire (white/often Christian) American population? If so, should we ban all white American Males from entering Europe as their tendency to pull out a gun and pull the trigger on innocent people is incompatible with the beliefs of the "civilized" western world? Most crimes and murders aren't commited by muslims in the US. In fact, Americans are probably the biggest threat to Americans in the US thanks to their unrestrictive gun laws, appalling healthcare system, dubious legal system and their unwilligness to acknoledge mistakes and effectively correct them.

I think the travel ban is appalling, but thankfully the US has stopped being seen as a great destination since Trump.

I come from a European country that has been the main target of terrorists attacks in recent years, hundreds of people dying under the name of terrorism in my place of birth and you know what? I am still for immigration as are my friends who happened to be in the middle of some of those attacks, because most terrorist weren't Syrians, they were national citizens who grew up here, being radicalized in OUR towns, banning Syrians wouldn't change shit. Most terrorists in Europe are European citizens, European citizens don't need a visa to get to the US, do you really believe that by banning Syrians, you will prevent Mohammed (or Peter for all we know) to come to the US with his European passport and bomb you guys? Really?

That's false protection. I also don't understand why the Euphoria over terrorists attacks when it's a rare event and people can't seem to care to tackle the whole shootings issue which kills hundreds each year. Why is 2 planes crashing into towers or someone making himself explode more frustrating than kids being shot dead in schools and more worthy of preventive "ban like measures"? The US priorities really seem to hold no logic.

@Nicholas7 you insult them but complain they insult you, you complain they want to see us erradicated, yet you wish the same for them?Yes some Muslims are anti gays and want to see us dead, as do some christians, some atheists, and probably even someone down your road. So what? Some people don't agree with homosexuality and would want to see it gone, if we had the power though, wouldn't we get rid of all homophobes and therefor of them as much as they would us? My point being: you being hypocritically discriminatory and insulting towards a group of people is unlikely to make people (in general not just muslims!) more tolerant of the LGBT community. intolerance doesn't attract tolerance
    If you have muslim friends, it's proof enough that not all of them are "scums" who want to see us dead and hate the gays.

18. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone,

Please remember the Code of Conduct when expressing your opinions on any subject here in the forum. Disagreeing and sharing/debating ideas is perfectly fine, but we won't tolerate hostility.

Empty Closets is aimed to be a safe and friendly website. There is no place for hateful speech here.

I want to also remind everyone to avoid engaging in debates with users that seem to be violating the Code of Conduct. If you see a problematic post, report it to us so we can check the situation.

Thanks

19. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Statistically speaking, the overwhelming majority of muslims are opposing gay rights, so the fact that LGBT people embrace happy-go-lucky liberal immigration policies is just beyond me. Leaving identity politics aside, a state has every right to decide the nationals of which countries to allow on its territory, and under which conditions. While I don't like Trump a bit, truth is muslims largely don't assimilate in the countries they emigrate to, and while most are (obviously) not terrorists, the percentage which approves of Sharia law and condones terrorism is worrying. This isn't islamophobia or hate speech. FACTS cannot EVER be hate speech.

As long as islam fails to reform and muslim majority countries don't turn to democracy, their nationals not enjoying western freedom seems only fair to me. Refugees have plenty of neighboring muslim countries to run to when their failing theocracies crumble to pieces.

20. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    You very well know that homophobia is rife in Christian countries in Africa, Europe and the Caribbean. In fact, evangelical Christians in the U.S. are some of the worst homophobes. If you hate Muslims just come out and say so instead of hiding behind obviously flawed facts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.