1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Urgent]Which printer is best?[/Urgent]

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Ty, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Ty

Ty Guest

2. JSG

JSG Guest

The 2nd one seems better.

3. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree...2nd one.

4. SlickyPants

Well, you've probably already made your purchase but they're completely different printer technologies with different capabilities.

Laser printers are great for printing large volumes of documents very quickly and cheaply. If you want one for printing pictures then they aren't as great. Colour laser printers are expensive, about 3 times the size and they usually aren't as quick as they're black/white brothers.

Inkjet printers (the photo one) are great for photos. The higher resolution will make your photographs look better, the printer can probably accept some kind of high quality photo paper. The major drawback is speed. The 22 pages per minute speed they list is only for low quality document printing. Printing good quality photographs will slow it down to around 2-3 pages per minute. The ink will run if it gets wet but you can get special paper that can protect the image if that is going to be a problem.

It really depends on what you need it for. One printer is far superior for one application and the other is better is far better for a different application.

Myself, I use a colour laser printer. Black and White prints super fast (around 24 ppm) even at high resolution, and colour printing drops to around 8 ppm which is still decent. Photos look alright but if I wanted a good looking print I would take it into Wal-mart (or some other place that will develop/print photos) and have it printed. The cost of the toner may seem prohibitively expensive but it will last a long time in comparison to the ink that an inkjet printer would use.

The second one apparently comes with a camera too so that's another thing to consider :slight_smile:

5. Ty

Ty Guest

I got the one with the camera :slight_smile: and im printing off some documents now! :grin: great quallity. Im not too fussed by speed ^_^

Thankyou guys!

6. JSG

JSG Guest

hehe :slight_smile:
    We have laser printers at work and yeah, they're super fast and ink lasts a really long time but we print literally hundreds of pages a day.
    So I guess you chose a good one for home use :slight_smile:

7. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always had laser printers at home since they were affordable to have at home because of the speed. I suppose I might consider an inkjet nowadays just for the colour capabilities but home colour laser printers are actually becoming affordable too.

I usually try to steer away from all-in-one printers too, just because all-in-one gizmos have the drawback of having more complexity and thus more likelihood of things breaking. So if the scanner part breaks then you can't cheaply and easily replace just a scanner--you either have to buy a separate scanner or an entirely new all-in-one printer.

That being said, the 2nd choice looked liked a much better deal, what with the digicam and all.

8. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As others said they're good for different uses. The AIO is nice in that it prints colour, and you get a scanner and a camera, so even if you don't print anything, the money wasn't wasted.

We have a black and white laser at home since the vast majority of our prints are just boring old black and white documents for school or reference material and the like. We've printed thousands of economical pages since we got it.

We were sick and tired of overpriced tiny inkjet cartridges and clogged cartridges and the like which is why we got the laser.

I bring photos to a photo store where the silver halide process prints are cheaper, better, and last longer.

For colour documents for school, I print them at my mom's work. They got her a colour laser printer that she rarely uses the colour on, but it actually prints out pretty good quality for a cheap colour laser. Something annoying, HP chipped the print cartridges and after a certain amount of time (or prints) it required all the colour toner cartridges be replaced even though they weren't empty.

As Joey mentions All in ones are annoying if a part of them break. My brother has a Lexmark-based Dell AIO (it was free with the computer) and gave up on the printer part so it's really an enormous scanner. What's worse, some AIOs won't let you use the scanner bit if there's a problem with the printer bit.

Also I find HP's scanner software disgustingly bloated, and in my experience their AIO's require you run disgustingly bloated drivers to even do basic prints.