1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update: Therapist wants to out my boyfriend.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by CringyEdge, Jul 18, 2019.

1. CringyEdge

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (If you want to know what happend check out my post before this) After getting some advice on what to do for my therapy appointment that was on Monday, I decided to cancel it and not go. After reading the replies I began to question my therapists qualifications. I was spending the morning with my mom and asked her if Tracy was actually qualified, my mom said she was actually wondering the same thing. I then told her my issue and she said she noticed it's been about Spencer more than me, we then agreed that I should cancel the appointment for that day. I've been thinking of looking for a new gender therapist but one problem, it's not too easy to find one in southern Indiana. I plan on talking to Tracy sometime soon about what happened.

2. TwoFeech

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for sharing an update!

It's great that your mom is available to bounce thoughts off of, to see that your instincts about the situation match up.

Is there any way you could widen your search to include therapists you would see face to face only occasionally, and video the rest of the time?

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you want help vetting therapists, feel free to PM me. I know a bit about what to look for and warning signs, as well as qualifications and how to check them.

Organizationally, EC strongly believes in the value of therapy, but there are an awful lot of lousy ones, as well as ones advertising as 'coaches' who operate completely outside of their scope and do more harm than good.

The good news is, you should be able to find one even in Indiana, and if you absolutely can't find one you like, there are good therapists who offer sessions via Skype. It's not quite as good as in-person, but it's becoming increasingly common and there are standards emerging to ensure the quality of services provided.

CringyEdge likes this.
  4. CringyEdge

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I am considering finding a therapist online, I will definitely do some research to avoid a similar situation from happening.

TwoFeech likes this.