1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unsure about being bisexual vs lesbian

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by otter727, Jun 3, 2019.

1. otter727

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm 21, and I've been going back and forth about my identity since I was 15, and I don't really know what to do. I used to identify as bisexual, but then entered into an abusive relationship with a man my freshman year of college that really messed me up. I then started identifying as a lesbian, thinking that the reason I felt so awful and uncomfortable was because I was with a man. But now, two years later, I've found myself developing feelings for a good friend of mine who is a man, and it's throwing me for a loop. I thought it would eventually go away, but it's been four months and if anything, they've gotten stronger. And now I don't know what to do. I don't deny my attraction to women, that's pretty solid. But I worry about trusting my emotions when it comes to men, due to being abused before. I feel embarrassed saying I'm bisexual again after coming out as a lesbian so publicly, and I don't really know how to explain that to the guy I'm interested in either. I just feel like a fraud, or that I'm "not queer enough." Does anyone have any advice on how to sort out my feelings, and how to not feel embarrassed about changing what label I use so many times?

Ravenstar likes this.
  2. Ravenstar

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    People change so can feelings. Every feeling is valid AND SO ARE YOURS!!!:grin::slight_smile::blush:

sublimeprincess and Cind Ace like this.
  3. Robyn mac

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Exactly what raven said. Don'the put a label on yourself. You are Otter your feeling are subject to change at any given time. I date men ,women , Trans and crossdressers. You never know who you will meet.

Ravenstar likes this.
  4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i am sure people will understand and really those that don't probably aren't close to you. I can understand your fear towards the situation but love is love and feelings are feelings. Being abused is awful, I am sorry you went through that. The best thing you can be with your friend is honest as you were with us.

Ravenstar likes this.
  5. Cind Ace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As they said Love knows no gender.
    Theres nothing wrong who you love and dont be ashamed of what others might perceived you socially thats their judgmental prick minds who never mind their own business.
    Finding love is like finding your inner connection with someone,make sure you find him or her whoever makes you feel YOU and beautiful.

HorizonSea and Ravenstar like this.
  6. Rachel9245

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So wait... if the guy is a good friend, I'm assuming that he knows you're a lesbian and not that you're bisexual? BUT if he's a good friend, then he also knows that you used to date a guy. So, if he feels anything romantic for you, I'm sure he's considered that you've been with a man before so you could potentially be with a man again. (Kinda sad but humans like to have hope regardless of what you label yourself).

Anyway, the harder part about this seems to be telling him that you like him and not just that you like guys again. Because hey, you might not, you might only like him.

As for other people, I don't think anyone will be upset over the news other than maybe lesbian friends that you have. But honestly that just comes from them losing a little bit of connection to you if you're not 100% like them anymore. I think that's normal. Give them time to grieve your 5% loss of lesbianism and tell them you hope they'll still support you.

You're not a fraud and you're not betraying anything. Each experience gets you closer to who you truly are.

Ravenstar and sublimeprincess like this.