1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unsupportive Parents On Me Transitioning

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by AMH, Mar 26, 2019.

1. AMH

AMH

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’m 17 and I’ve been wanting to transition for 3 years now. My mom found out that I wanted to transition and got upset. I want her to hear it from my perspective. What do I do or say ? I know she may not like it.

2. YesHomo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She needs to know that it's YOUR body so it's your choice what to do with it. Keep in mind that if you're 17 now, you may be able to wait to transition without her approval when you turn 18. I explained it this way; if I care so deeply about this that I would change my body, spend all this money, time, effort, and energy to present masculine and attempt to transition, then this is something I need to do.

I also told my family how painful binding was becoming after 4 years of doing it, and the immense distress I'm under when I look in the mirror. I think after I explained how extreme my dysphoria was to them, they began to be more sympathetic to my transition.

I would sit down with her and ask her why she is against you transitioning. Then explain your side. But make sure to note that no matter what she thinks of you or believes, you are a man and will transition whether she likes it or not. It's harsh, but that's what it took for some of my family to get it.