1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News United States "Civil Rights Uniformity Act"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by E H Wildflower, Jul 28, 2017.

1. E H Wildflower

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I was starting to get excited about all of the progress we're making when it comes to transgender and nonbinary rights (My state is considering a bill that would allow for legal recognition of nonbinary genders and make legal transition easier), and then I heard about this at the federal level: a bill that was introduced in the US House of Representatives that would prohibit defining discrimination based on gender identity as sex discrimination.

The Library of Congress summarizes it as follows:
    This bill prohibits the word "sex" or "gender" from being interpreted to mean "gender identity," and requires "man" or "woman" to be interpreted to refer exclusively to a person's genetic sex, for purposes determining the meaning of federal civil rights laws or related federal administrative agency regulations or guidance.
    No federal civil rights law shall be interpreted to treat gender identity or transgender status as a protected class, unless it expressly designates "gender identity" or "transgender status" as a protected class.

I heard about this in a newsletter which called it "DOMA for nonbinary [and trans] rights", and I'm wondering why, if it would indeed be that much of a setback, have I heard so little about it? Has anyone else heard anything about this or have any thoughts?

2. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    More hate from republicans. Obviously they don't believe experts in the subject of gender. If they did, they'd realize gender isn't simply determined by sex organs or even genes. Maybe they should require genetic testing and then have the letter M or F tattooed on our cheek so everyone is easily identified for the purpose of this law. What would they do about XXX, XYY, XXY, etc?

It's about forcing conformity to their narrow opinion. As usual they're trying to make life more difficult for trans people who are already marginalized. Pure ignorance to appeal to their ignorant supporters and raise more money for groups that push this shit and money for their elections. They should just be thankful they didn't have to struggle with their gender and have compassion for those who don't have it so easy. I'll never understand why those people feel so threatened when someone else is their best self when they can live life as the gender that is right for them. Sad.

3. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Probably wouldn't stand constitutional muster, but with the asshats on the Supreme Court, there's also no guarantee that the Supremes would actually correctly interpret the constitution.

Let's hope this doesn't go through.

5. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That article scared me half to death. Someone take me to a sane country please.