1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unbelievable kids :> AND dad's response :(

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by G1969, Nov 10, 2007.

1. G1969

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As I posted last night, my wife and I told my children (9 and 7) earlier today that we were separating. I am totally amazed by them. There was no cry and not even any sign of sadness. Maybe that will come later but at this point, they seem to have taken the news very well. I think we did our “homework” well with a lot of help from our therapist and from friends, and that paid off. We've made sure they understood what we had said... that my wife and I would be in 2 different houses and that they'd live most of the time with her. There was only one question from my older child as to why I needed to live in a different house, which we addressed very well. Later on during the day, he asked my wife again, and she responded the same way we did earlier. Being consistent, sending the same message over and over again, I think, is very comforting to kids. We gave them a new key ring, with the key to both our places attached to it. They were very excited and they felt very important to finally have their own keys! They’ve already seen my wife’s place, as they knew that we were moving. We'll likely go see my new place tomorrow. We’ve also “surprised” them by bringing them to their favourite store to purchase something they’ve been dreaming about for a while. They were very excited. We feel that we may have “given” them back a part of their youth that the separation could have taken away. As I’ve said before, I’ll get to tell them that I’m gay a little bit later. That way, they don’t associate the concept of being gay with something sad (the separation).

I also had a chance to talk to my parents tonight. I talked to my mom (who, as I’ve mentioned last night) and then asked to speak to my dad. My dad and I hadn’t spoken since I told them on October 18. He didn’t want to take the phone but my mom gave it to him anyway. I asked him how he was and he said that he couldn’t “take it”, and then hung up on me. I called back to talk to my mom who confirmed that my dad wasn’t doing so well when he thought of me, supposedly for breaking up my marriage and for being gay. I hope we get a chance to talk more soon so I have a chance to explain… If this goes on, I may have to drive all the way to my parents (>1000 km) for Christmas (whereas we usually meet about half-way in Montreal). But then again… he may still not want to open up. Furthermore, the holiday seasons may not be the best time for me to show up and “spoil” even more the atmosphere. Any thoughts?

2. biisme

i think u need to try and work things out with ur dad. don't worry about spoiling the mood. it will be spoiled even if u don't go there if u can't stop thinking about it.

but, on the other hand, i'm so happy ur kids took it well!!! congrats! :slight_smile:

3. SpikySpice

Aww, for the kids, at least they dont feel really sad about it, and good way handeling the kid's moods:thumbsup:

But I kinda feel sad tho, it is just liek when my mom and dad seperated. But let's hope things will go right for them...

Well, for your dad, it will take time, actually may take really long time. It's a good thought abotu not spoilng on Christmas, but it is a tiem for reunion. But you could send gifts for yoru parenst if you think it's a bad thing to visit them.

Im sorry for it happens near the holiday season, I hope thinsg will be alrigth as soon as possible

4. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

I think you an amazing father. and your wife a good mother. I think you should try to patch things with ur dad...nothing hurts more than rejection from your own blood.