1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Ukrainian trans women trapped in Kyiv as Russian forces advance

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Hawk, Mar 3, 2022.

1. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "One citizen who remains in the capital is Zi Faámelu, a musician best-known in Ukraine for competing in the competition show Star Factory. She has been hiding in her Kyiv apartment as gunfire and missiles get closer.

She is starting to run out of food, she told CBS News, but is scared to leave home not just because of war – but also because she fears for her safety as a trans woman. Faámelu described life as a trans person in Ukraine as “bleak” and fears that the violence could easily turn transphobic.

“Many people have guns and weapons… It can be an excuse for violence,” she said. “This is a very scary situation.”

Faámelu fears that even if she managed to reach the Ukrainian border, she would not be allowed to cross because her passport does not align with her gender.

[...]

Ukrainian men – and by extension, any person with a male gender marker on their legal documents – aged 18 to 60 have been banned from leaving the country."

[...]

"If you have a male gender in your passport, they will not let you go abroad. They will not let you through… [It’s] a war within a war, truly."

Full article: pinknews.co.uk/2022/03/02/ukraine-trans-women-kyiv/

2. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My prayers go out to her. I can't have been the only one to see the shocking TV reports this past week - the refugees and the menfolk being conscripted - and think 'what would have happened to me had I been born there'.