1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ubuntu or Windows OS

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Dustin Broke, May 29, 2013.

1. Dustin Broke

Dustin Broke Guest

Just wondering but is Ubuntu overall a better system for games and everything else or is Windows better? I know Ubuntu is free so that is great but I just don't know if it's a good system. Like if I used the stable version will it be a great overall system?

Thanks

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To be honest, it depends. Although I advocate the use of GNU/Linux-based operating systems very strongly, I can't lie about the fact that not all games work perfectly. Whether I recommend Linux to someone depends very much on what they want to use the computer for.

I use Arch Linux (which is different than, but based on the same operating system as Ubuntu), and it plays Counter Strike, Skyrim, and League of Legends for me just fine (although there's an issue with the out-of-game store).

I have to acknowledge it's not all working, and most true Linux games are pretty lame (can't lie about that either). At the same time, there are some major games running on Linux. For example, with the release of a native Steam client, some games like Left For Dead 2 are actually running truly on the system (as opposed to a Windows compatibility layer, called Wine). These are actually running faster and better on Linux, as it turns out:

[youtube]bLlBtxiadP8[/youtube]

So, what do you want to use your computer for?

3. Dustin Broke

Dustin Broke Guest

Well mainly I use my notebook for playing games, listening to music, watching videos that I saved from YouTube and browsing the web stuff like that. I don't play the latest games since my video card isn't good enough for them but I play games like WoW, Doom 3, Quake 4, The Sims 2,3, StarCraft 2, Crysis or Crysis 2.

4. TryingCynic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Starcraft 2, Crysis and Crysis 2 I'd be wary about, but I'm fairly certain that Doom 3, Quake 4, and I believe the sims games work on linux strains with a little setup strain. (WoW works fairly well, as I played it for almost 6 months solely on my Linux Desktop.)

Any Video watching, Music Listening, and general browsing works as well as on Windows(Better usually, simply form a less intrusive Operating System)

I personally use Debian, which is the waterfall from which Ubuntu downstreams from.

(Also, Crysis can barely run properly on Modern Computers with bat-shit insane specs, It was so terribly built. :| I don't enjoy playing it regardless of OS. Cry2 is great though.)

5. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

If you're a PC gamer then Windows is pretty much the only way to go. Linux may be able to play some games with Wine, but its still a major pain in the ass.