1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Typical Gays + Bisexuals

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Yelozbhsbjaj729, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Yelozbhsbjaj729

Am I putting this in the right place? No idea.

I know this title is a bit stereotypical but what do 'typical' gays and bisexuals like... I'm a 13 year old male and probably bisexual and I've wonder this for a while... What do bisexuals and gays 'typically' where? And what songs do they 'typically' listen to also what do they 'typically' do...
    Sorry if this sounds stereotypically but I'm not a stereotype I just wonder..

2. BadassFrost

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's hard to say.. it's like asking what straight men typically do, or what Chinese people typically do, or what young people typically do.. there's no exact answer because everyone is different and everyone has different interests. The same goes for gays and bisexuals. There may be some stereotypes, and while they may be true for someone, they definitely do not apply to everyone and I wouldn't call them 'typical'. Typical means something like normal, or usual, right? But there are a lot of things that can be considered normal. And usual.. uhh.. things like what people wear (did you mean wear instead of "where" right?), what do they listen to, what they usually do.. this is based on the personality, not a sexual orientation. It may have an influence, but it's not the factor number 1. Both terms, gay and bisexual, apply to a large group o people. People with various personalities. As gay or bisexual, you can listen to Lady Gaga, Beatles, Linkin Park, Rammstein (like me right now), Amaranthe, etc...
    This is again about the stereotypes, but I really don't know how to answer better. Some people still might think that "typical" (if you really want to hear that word :lol:slight_smile: gays are feminine, fashion obsessed, and listen mainly to Lady Gaga. But that's only because, these gays are the loudest, and most visible. There are many many others, different, but not that visible. So really.. I don't think there's a "typical" gay/bisexual behavior.
    I know my answer is crappy, but I tried really hard :confused:

#2 BadassFrost, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2017
  3. tickabox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    There's no such thing as typical it's usually a term that, as far as I'm concerned, is a way for society to say what is and isn't considered normal.

For example, I grew up playing with boys toys I never owned a Barbie or any girls toys for that matter. I just wasn't interested. So I wasn't a typical girl.

You need to be yourself not make yourself be something because you think that's how you're supposed to be. You will be respected more for being true to yourself. You're still young so you still have time to find out who you are so don't force it you'll be happier.

4. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is no such thing as a 'typical' gay or bisexual person and that's well demonstrated on this forum. Our tastes in clothes, music, hobbies, interests, men, women, sex and relationships vary considerably.

The most important thing is to always be your own person and refuse to conform to any stereotypes... because you don't need to. You don't need to change anything, do anything or behave in any particular way to be part of the LGBT+ community.

5. Yelozbhsbjaj729

Oh, ok! Thanks for replying! Sorry for saying 'typical' a lot!

---------- Post added 20th Mar 2017 at 09:22 PM ----------

When I was younger I played with my toys and lego but I also played with my sisters Barbies a bit! I also like nightcore (this is where the song as been put higher pitched) I guess you could say I'm more feminine :dry: . Thanks for the reply!

---------- Post added 20th Mar 2017 at 09:26 PM ----------

Ok! Thanks for your reply!

#5 Yelozbhsbjaj729, Mar 20, 2017
  6. dvxqnc

Why do you want to know?

7. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Typically gay men like other men whilst bisexual men like other men and women. Unfortunately that's all that can honestly be said because that's all those words mean. My point is that whether you like girls, boys or both it doesn't need to have anything else to do with who you are. Be who you want to be in life without worrying about what you think people expect based on a stereotype. The truer you are to yourself, the easier it will be for someone else to love you, whoever that may be. In other words, discovering your sexuality should help to broaden your opportunities in life, not restrict them.

Why do you ask this question anyway? Is it to do with your own sexuality and finding yourself or is it more to do with how other gay/bi people act and behave etc?

8. Yelozbhsbjaj729

I ask this question because I wanted to know if you are bisexual/gay do you have to act a certain way But you don't (luckily). I think I act more 'feminine'.

---------- Post added 20th Mar 2017 at 09:52 PM ----------

To see if I had to act a certain way for my sexuality.

#8 Yelozbhsbjaj729, Mar 20, 2017
  9. Makalaster

People are people. People are different on a individual basis. You're 13 (hate to age people by a group) and when you get older you'll realize that everyone's different and not everyone follows labels like in the media. In the media, they have the stereotypical flamboyant "yaaaaassss queen slay" personality.

You don't have be a certain way to be gay/bi which is homophobic to view it like that. Everyone starts out with homophobic thoughts because of how media and society portrays it. We learn from our environment and show it in real life. It's a process to unlearn homophobic behavior but I believe anyone can despite biases.

#9 Makalaster, Mar 20, 2017
  10. Yelozbhsbjaj729

[/COLOR]
    Ok!
    You say you unlearn being homephobic... that isn't essentially true is it?

#10 Yelozbhsbjaj729, Mar 20, 2017
  11. queerlucifer

There's really no certain standard for anyone who's anything, really. People are people, and categorizing people based upon behaviours isn't the best thing to do. People are different - there is no "personality type" for a certain gender identity/sexuality.

12. Yelozbhsbjaj729

Ok, thanks for the reply!

13. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

You have a lot of time ahead of you to find out who you are. Personally I don't think you can ever know exactly who you are because we all change as we go through life. I know what you mean by 'feminine' but try not to dwell on it. You didn't mention questioning your gender so I'm going to assume that you are happy to be male. Nobody can tell you what it is to be 'male' or 'masculine' and the truth is it doesn't matter because so long as it's who you really are -your natural character or personality- people will accept you. Being fake or trying to cover up who you are for whatever reason is what people don't like and what bullies thrive on so just focus on being comfortably you.

14. Yelozbhsbjaj729

Yes I am happy to be male!

On your status your apparently out to everyone! Do you have any tips to see how my parents would react? I did think of one where I would say like in history we learnt about gay marriage the teacher said to ask your parents what they think of it (could work). Do you have any other tips?

15. Makalaster

If the individual wants and desires to unlearn learned biases. I believe that they can with enough education. After talking to the trans* and gender queer community; I learned a lot about different identities and became more open to their self identification. If someone doesn't want to change then they never will.

#15 Makalaster, Mar 20, 2017
  16. Yelozbhsbjaj729

Ok.

17. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is difficult to answer. I have been out since I was 14 and since then I have been open about my sexuality with anyone I've met. When I first came out to my parents I got a bad response and I could never have predicted it. On the other hand I got really positive responses from other people I didn't expect.
    I've heard of other people testing the water by discussing issues like gay marriage or pride etc but I don't have any personal experience with this. The problem is I haven't heard anyone say that this is what they actually did and that it worked so I can't really recommend it with certainty.
    One point however is that it may help you to build some confidence with opening up about your sexuality if you are more familiar with talking openly about LGBT issues with your parents.

I do know many people that have written a letter or poem etc. to a parent or friend as a way to 'come out'. This can make the first step easier, especially if those initial words feel too hard to say.

Another tip would be to avoid the labels because sometimes the hardest thing to do is say "I'm gay" or "I'm bi". It's much easier to say "I like guys" or "I'm attracted to both men and women". It's just a case of words but it can make all the difference.

18. Yelozbhsbjaj729

Well... I would do it by poem I just can't write porms same for letters I'm not a very good writer.. how did you come out to your parents??

19. Paxana

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    People like what they like, differing sexualities don't change that fact. And there is no 'typical' anything, that'd make life boring don't ya think? :slight_smile:

20. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a very good answer. I agree with PatrickUK that none of us fit into one specific mould. That's what makes it so awesome. Don't you think it'd be boring if everyone acted the same, liked the same things, dress the same, etc? You just do you, and don't get hung up on what you're "supposed" to look or be like. (*hug*)