1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two Years

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Confused54, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Confused54

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's been a bit over two years since I first logged onto this forum. I'd just come out to my wife and felt quite confused and unsure of who I was. I spent some time with a counselor, came out to family and friends in distant places, then came out to friends at home. Like many who figure out, or accept, that they're gay at a later stage in life it was hard for me to accept my new identity as a gay man.

About 18 months ago I met the man who fairly quickly became my boyfriend. He'd also been married to a woman for many years and had recently come out. After going hiking and camping together, dining out, sharing beers, and developing a healthy and happy sex life, he moved in with me (and my ex-wife). As the months passed we've become ever closer. "I love you" is part of our dialog more than once a day. I hadn't felt that for a long time.

When BF and I first met I wasn't actively looking for a long-term relationship. It just developed organically as we spent more and more time together. I don't think it's something you can force or try too hard at.

Time does heal a lot of wounds, to paraphrase an old saying. I don't think I was actually wounded, but the struggle for self-acceptance has become much easier. There are days when I still doubt myself, but those are getting fewer and farther between. I still hesitate to refer to "my boyfriend" in some situations, but those are also getting less common even as a self-employed business person who sometimes has clients that have different values than mine. It will probably be a long time before I'm completely open with everyone, but I expect that will eventually happen.

To those who are in the throes of self-discovery, it does get better. Hang in there. I'm glad I did as I'm now happier than I'd been for a long time and friends have commented about that unprompted.

Cashew, WilliamHunter, Rade and 5 others like this.
  2. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @Confused54 , congratulations, and thank you! You give me that motivation I need when my Path seems overwhelming. You don't seem so "confused" anymore.

WilliamHunter likes this.
  3. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow what a beautiful and empowering post, like others I'm on that same path and it's daunting to say the least. I'm leaving the marital home in the coming weeks. You have given me strength to continue. I have made a new gay friend through LGBT and this may lead somewhere, even if it doesn't I have a new gay friend, YEAH....thanks for sharing...Rade

WilliamHunter likes this.