1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to find something new to play.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Lazuri, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Lazuri

Any ideas?

What I'd preferably want is some sort of open worldish adventure game with a combat system that doesn't make me wanna brain myself.

2. TheChainedPegasus

Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe No Man's Sky ?

Open World ? more like Open Universe !

Combat system ? You can be peaceful or be agressive, as you wish.

Sorry, I have no other ideas. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Lazuri

I've already played it, unfortunately. All four hours of it.

4. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Dark Souls and/or Bloodborne would be my suggestion.

All open worldish, combat system is straight forward and there's plenty of meat to them. They do take great delight in kicking your arse but they're very fair about it.

5. Lazuri

Good tip, but I've already played them extensively except for Bloodborne, but I lack the PS4 to play it.

6. KBrandonSB

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not sure on what adventure you'd specifically prefer but as you can probably tell from the profile picture I'd recommend Fallout 4 especially if you're looking for a good combat system since the game loses a lot of RPG elements for a solid and fluid combat system. Is pretty gud :slight_smile: Plus if you play on PC that means you get access to a big ol modding community.

7. CoderK

Skyrim has everything but a slightly bad combat system, but mods can fix that.

8. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sir, You Are Being Hunted is a fun time. It's not the best game in the world, but the open world/stealth/customization make it really fun to play around with.

Defiance is also okay; it totally has the same combat system as Borderlands, so if you don't like Borderlands than you may not like it. I'm not so sure about the story though, that's pretty dull. And the online community is not very talkative. :lol:

Maybe Don't Starve is up your alley? It's pretty open-ended in terms of what you can do.

Sorry if my suggestions suck, I was just trying to think of games not previously mentioned and that met your criteria. I hope you can find something fun!

9. killswitch0029

I will second Don't Starve. How 2 Survive is pretty good also.

10. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    All 3 darksouls? hmm.. h1z1, dayz, wow, skyrim, fallout 4, morrowwind, Farcry Primal, left4dead, southpark stick of truth, southpark fractured but whole, dungeon defenders 2, masseffect 3, halflife 3, MirrorsEdge, DOOM, MetalGearsolid5, TheWitcher, gta5, RedDeadRedmption, TheWarriors, dragonageinquestion,

*Huf*
    OK.. thats all I know off the top of my head... gl! I mostly recommend the warriors as I played that game as a kid a TON, however it is not modern.

11. Lazuri

See, that's my problem. Your tips are all excellent, but.... I've played them all save for one or two.

I've played so many freaking games that lately it feels as though I've played everything that's worth playing....

12. killswitch0029

This is probably a crap shot (forgive me if you've tried this) but googling "open world adventure games" might help.

#12 killswitch0029, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  13. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Try Divinity: Original Sin :wink:

14. KBrandonSB

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's the beauty of the open world rpg games you can play them differently in so many ways,

15. Lazuri

I did try it, but it taught me nothing new.

Alas, I have played it a fair amount.

I've played the good ones so much that I've tried them in several different ways already. Besides, in most games, the only thing you can change is class, which only mixes up the combat--the game itself remains the same.

16. KBrandonSB

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Really? well no matter what game it is some of them are always different the second time and so on, what are you playing on? If it's PC I recommend modding massively for an even more different experience.

Also if you've really beaten every open world game, I think you're my Hero XD.

P.S. (Just thought of a new suggestion) The Dead Rising Games?

#16 KBrandonSB, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  17. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    South Park: The Fractured But Whole has not been released yet. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Though, it's an excellent suggestion if Lazuri doesn't mind waiting. The Stick of Truth might suffice in the meantime. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you don't mind 2D I'd say Metroid Fusion (to an extent), Terraria, and Starbound had some pretty neat exploration factors. Terraria is limited in generation and Starbound is having most of it's biomes re-worked at the moment though so that gets a bit repetitive eventually. Early game, Terraria's combat is fairly dull but late game things branch out and become more interesting. Starbound's new combat system is probably my favorite system for this sort of game to date.

Nobody has mentioned New Vegas yet, a huge DLC-sized mod called Project Brazil is finally on the brink of completion so even if you've explored every last corner there's a whole new map on the way. I played the development version a while back and it was huge but also largely unfinished. Exploration here was pretty neat, I spent more time going through places of interest than actually doing the quests.

Starmade is still quite in early development, but as of now you can build fighters to capital ships from scratch, and space stations to dock and repair and such. Or just build an empire like I tend to do. The optimization and combat are far from finished but I'm keeping an eye on it as I have high hopes for it's future. Due to building and optimization being the primary focus of the dev team, I'd say wait if you want a nice fleshed out combat system.

Spore's creature stage was neat and all and pretty fun to explore, but really fell back on my expectations. It's neat to fly around as Formic-style space moth but at the same time it could have been so much better in every regard. The combat system here is... less than appealing even in it's completed state so you might ignore it. It would be amazing if someone could revive the original idea with more modern software.

Guild Wars 2 seems fairly open world, and a massive world at that, but the game seems to suffer heavily from attempting to shove an expansion in your face for every little thing. Some people play free games because we can't afford stuff, you know. If you're the type who can ignore that factor the world is quite beautifully crafted and varied. Combat is a bit generic and limited on a class system but has some nice twists here and there like being able to use an ability tree and choose your playstyle, abilities, and ultimates.

Skyrim and Don't Starve have been brought up already, so that's pretty much it off the top of my head. I don't have a great memory so there's probably more than that.

19. Lazuri

I haven't beaten all of them, but if there's an open world game that's worth anything, I've probably played it extensively or tried it and didn't like it.

As for Dead Rising, I once wrote a guide for the first one that was very in-depth and that's pretty much the zeal at which I've played the other ones, except DR3, which I have only dabbled a bit in, mostly because it runs so poorly on PC. Excellent tip, though.

Played it. Twice. Jesus christ, what am I doing with my life?

I've nothing to play Fusion on. I have however played Terraria a lot with friends and although I have not tried Starbound yet, I know it's the kind of game I'd wanna play with my friends and they're even more broke than I am.

I played New Vegas a little bit, but it kept giving me technical issues and eventually couldn't load any of my games, at which point I gave up on it. The game was definitely alright, but the engine it runs on is so fucking terrible it makes my head hurt; it manages to exemplify everything difficult about PC gaming. I similarly gave up on FO3 as well, but that was because it uses Games for Windows--Live. Instant uninstall.

I'll probably check out Starmade, if only to keep an eye on it. I don't really trust early access games.

I played Spore back when it was new. Let's just say I wasn't that impressed after having seen the original concepts for it.

I literally got Guild Wars 2 on release day, haha. Great game, but all my friends stopped playing it and I have a difficult time with MMORPGS because I have issues sticking to a single game the way MMOs usually demands you to.

I really just wish Capcom would release Dragon's dogma Online outside Japan--or even better announce and release Dragon's Dogma 2--all my problems would go away if they did.

20. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mount and blade warband is a great game with a good combat system.